Why do I even bother?

Options

Replies

• Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to move your focus to shape and not weight if your "gut" is all you are really unhappy about. Weight is just a number and doesn't define anything. Two people can be the same height and weight and one may be fit while the other is flabby.

I have a friend who is very slim and complained to her trainer about her abs - her trainer told her two things 1) Focus on Core Exercises not Cardio. If you are going to the gym and sweating it out with cardio that isn't going to ever trim down your gut or give you a six pack, to focus on toning/strength training (which also burns calories). 2) Cut out the Beer. It may be bit of WHAT you are eating not necessarily how many calories you are consuming.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    So much excellent advice in this thread from people who have lost and kept off serious amounts of weight.

OP, I hope you decide to listen to them, take your health by the balls, and make it your b!tch.

Or, you know, you could just stay fat forever.

Your choice.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I hear what you guys are saying. I guess I just don't know how to properly regulate my caloric intake with the amount of calories I burn. I do strength train when I go to the gym, but I do mostly cardio. I don't really want to up my calories any more than I already have.
    So you don't ever want to eat like an average healthy adult? That's kind of terrifying. I think it's unhealthy to never want to eat like a grown human :sick: You are suppose to be one.

FYI according to the US and Canada the average healthy female adult should be eating around 2000 calories a day to get proper nutrition. You're eating like, half that. If we include men the average numbers go higher. Terrifying. I think you should look up some energy expenditure calculations. You're eating significantly significantly below what you burn.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    good luck with that quitting thing getting you where you want to be.

((sorry but i hate it when people get so down on themselves and losing weight - and LIVING HEALTHIER - for really no reasaon other than frustration. I'm sure you realize that you are where you are now because you have given up in the past, multiple times I'm sure))
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I hear what you guys are saying. I guess I just don't know how to properly regulate my caloric intake with the amount of calories I burn. I do strength train when I go to the gym, but I do mostly cardio. I don't really want to up my calories any more than I already have.

Ok but you do have to understand that upping your calories to sustain your body at its current activity levels is vital. In regards to how many calories you should take in vs what you burn...if you follow MFP's program, you should eat your exercise calories because a deficit has already been figured in. If you set your goal for 1500, make sure you are netting 1500 calories eaten at the end of the day.

Hmmm. Okay, I get what you are saying. I thought it was all about burning more than what you eat. That's why I have been eating less so it's easier for me to burn more. Maybe that's why I am always tired.

And this is how I've been maintaining my weight. I always seem to get to this weight (156) and I either stop losing weight or I gain weight. For some reason it's just hard to shake it when I get to 156.

Yes! You really gotta make sure you are hitting that Net calorie goal and giving your body fuel. That could absolutely be why you're tired. Eventhough you hit that 1500, the deficit is figured in so you would still lose weight. And give it time...patience and weight loss need to be best friends :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Ok but you do have to understand that upping your calories to sustain your body at its current activity levels is vital. In regards to how many calories you should take in vs what you burn...if you follow MFP's program, you should eat your exercise calories because a deficit has already been figured in. If you set your goal for 1500, make sure you are netting 1500 calories eaten at the end of the day.

Hmmm. Okay, I get what you are saying. I thought it was all about burning more than what you eat. That's why I have been eating less so it's easier for me to burn more. Maybe that's why I am always tired.

And this is how I've been maintaining my weight. I always seem to get to this weight (156) and I either stop losing weight or I gain weight. For some reason it's just hard to shake it when I get to 156.

Read the link I posted as well.

But you are forgetting that 1500 IS burned off by your body for basic functions and your daily life. You don't need to exercise away all the calories you eat. You shouldn't exercise off all the calories you eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You didn't up your calories if you increased what you ate by 300 and then increased your exercise cals burned by 400. I'm not so good at the maths, but that sounds like you lowered your already too low calories. I'm fine if you actually want to quit (I don't think you do, hence this post) but before you quit you may actually want to try what you claim you tried to do and increase your calories
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1. Stop whining

2. Put on your big girl pants

3. Eat at a MODERATE calorie deficit

4. Don't try and burn 3000 calories in the gym as you will over use your muscles and cause injuries especially if you're not eating properly, not resting, and not used to exercise.

It's all about finding a healthy approach.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    because you want to look SMOKING HOT.
  • nathalieacosta5
    Options
    When you start to feel that your going nowhere... You've got to focus on where you came from. Our society is so fast paced and having to wait is no longer second nature. That being said... We didn't get all this 'insulation' over night. You'll get there. We all will. :)
  • pcaldwell4
    Options
    Don't give up! You are almost to your goal. Just allow yourself some time to rest your knee and get back into it. If you gave up now, you would feel even worse for not acomplishing your goal. We all get down, but just work through it....the feelings of "why bother" are only temporary. Look how far you have come! That's excellent....focus on that.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ^this seems like it would be a great idea for you to help understand what you're doing
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you are going by MFP calculations(I don't use that), you need to eat your exercise calories back. Otherwise, you are causing your body metabolic damage. In fact, if you have been doing that for long, your metabolism may be damaged to the point where it will take a lot of food and patient to get it back to normal.
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well, I think everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm actually gaining weight because muscle weighs more than fat. You sound like my boss with all that working out. She works out for TWO HOURS but doesn't eat squat. I told her she's working out like an anorexic woman. You have to feed your body to keep your metabolism going. Maybe you should talk to a dietician or something. Maybe they can help you fine tune what you're trying to do. You're not really going about it the right
    way. And never give up. I've gained more weight than I've lost but I'll never give up. Bottom line is that I might never get to 185 lbs but my measurements will make it all better. Sometimes we need to stay off the scale.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey, cheer up, you're within 6lbs of goal, that's huge! So, here's an article from WebMD about your 'happy weight', which basically breaks down why we plateau to a certain degree, and how that all works out:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/ideal-weight-or-happy-weight?

It's not just calories in - calories out = <0 that you need to lose weight. Our bodies are designed to function at specific calorie points, most around 2000/day. If you want to lose, you should eat a deficit + exercise to create additional deficit, but not below a certain threshold. 1500 calories / day is probably fine if you're not exercising, but if you are and are burning 400 calories / day, that's 1100 calories for your body to effectively function from. It's also what KIND of calories you are eating, whether it be fat, protein or carbohydrate that will determine whether you gain muscle or fat, so keep that in mind as well.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I messaged you about EM2WL. For other that feel similar to the OP, check this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

Edit: Another member posted the In Place of a Road Map link, that explains a lot of the same stuff as the link above. And really helped me understand what I was doing wrong.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way..i have GAINED back 15 pounds in a year, and i seriously have no clue how it happened..i eat decent, and i workout, but it happens..i have wanted to give up SO many times, but ya know why i didnt ? because of how hard i busted my *kitten* to get to where i was..so go on and give up, or suck it up, and continue to work..we cant make you decide..just think of how bad you will feel when you get to your starting weight..best of luck
  • AmandaLipphardt
    AmandaLipphardt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hope your knee feels better. I'm there with you. Believe me, I've had that thought before but YOU CAN"T GIVE UP! I won't go over the calorie thing because that looks like its already been hit to death but I will add: maybe your mind AND body are bored? Have you tried mixing up your routine? Throw in some yoga, some swimming, anything to change it up. I personally do three days of cardio and two days of weight lifting plus something changed around, with the other two days for rest and recovery. Tonight its weights and hot yoga. I find that the change tends to get me excitied about my work out on the differing days and I don't have the 'why am I doing this' thoughts as often. Plus with the cardio being staggered I'm not beating up my joints as often.
    Stay Strong