Hiking

Options
OMG I have to start off by saying, yesterday's hikes in Big Sur were AMAZING!
I am a passionate cyclist, but love the wilderness. I grew up with a father that flew helicopter for a logging outfit, so growing up the woods were pretty much my playground.
Anyways last year I finally got my husband off the bike and into some hiking boots. Together we have only hiked the Tahoe Rim Trail. We love hiking up there. It is so breathtaking and rewarding once you see the lake views. Our longest hike on the TRT was 18 miles. This is just give you and idea how much more challenging the Big Sur hikes are....
Yesterday we went up to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park and hiked a few of the small trails to see the falls. Then we did the 6 mile loop up to the top of the canyon that looks down onto the Big Sur Coast. Let me tell you TRT didn't have crap on the strenuous level of this 6 mile loop. We had some challenging climbs up steep-sided canyons, over rugged hills, there were amazing redwood trees and a fast flowing stream that we fallowed most of the hike. Then it opened up to a meadow that over look the ocean.
I can't even put into words how beautiful it was at the top. It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
After that trail we went over the the Big Sur State park and hiked another 1.5 mile hike to see the Pfeiffer falls. I seriously was worn out by the time.
When we come back in July we plan to do the longer hikes that are considered the most challenging, strenuous ones up here....WOW WHOOOO!!! I can't wait! I think one is a 26 mile loop...aaawwww! I may stick to the 8.5 one first hahhah!!!
because I am soooo sore today LOL!
We are going to walk down to the down town area in Monterey today, but I still plan to get at least 10 miles in on the bike later once the muscles are warmed up hahahha! Shot at that point I may even go for 20....aaawwwwww!! LOVE IT!!!

Ok so I had to share my amazing experience with you all LOL!
If you are interested at all I have pictures of all my hikes in my MySpace albums. I have it off private if you want to check them out.
http://www.myspace.com/norcalgrllvsathletics
Have a great day my MFP
Kelly
bike.gif

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    OMG I have to start off by saying, yesterday's hikes in Big Sur were AMAZING!
    I am a passionate cyclist, but love the wilderness. I grew up with a father that flew helicopter for a logging outfit, so growing up the woods were pretty much my playground.
    Anyways last year I finally got my husband off the bike and into some hiking boots. Together we have only hiked the Tahoe Rim Trail. We love hiking up there. It is so breathtaking and rewarding once you see the lake views. Our longest hike on the TRT was 18 miles. This is just give you and idea how much more challenging the Big Sur hikes are....
    Yesterday we went up to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park and hiked a few of the small trails to see the falls. Then we did the 6 mile loop up to the top of the canyon that looks down onto the Big Sur Coast. Let me tell you TRT didn't have crap on the strenuous level of this 6 mile loop. We had some challenging climbs up steep-sided canyons, over rugged hills, there were amazing redwood trees and a fast flowing stream that we fallowed most of the hike. Then it opened up to a meadow that over look the ocean.
    I can't even put into words how beautiful it was at the top. It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    After that trail we went over the the Big Sur State park and hiked another 1.5 mile hike to see the Pfeiffer falls. I seriously was worn out by the time.
    When we come back in July we plan to do the longer hikes that are considered the most challenging, strenuous ones up here....WOW WHOOOO!!! I can't wait! I think one is a 26 mile loop...aaawwww! I may stick to the 8.5 one first hahhah!!!
    because I am soooo sore today LOL!
    We are going to walk down to the down town area in Monterey today, but I still plan to get at least 10 miles in on the bike later once the muscles are warmed up hahahha! Shot at that point I may even go for 20....aaawwwwww!! LOVE IT!!!

Ok so I had to share my amazing experience with you all LOL!
    If you are interested at all I have pictures of all my hikes in my MySpace albums. I have it off private if you want to check them out.
    http://www.myspace.com/norcalgrllvsathletics
    Have a great day my MFP
    Kelly
    bike.gif
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Wow! That sounds AMAZING! A group of us will be going to Big Sur in August - staying at Tree Bones - have you heard of it? Anyways, I will definitely put this hike on our "to-do" list since I LOVE hiking too!

I want to do the TRT as well - did you do it in sections, or all at one time? With a group, or just you and hubby?

Gotta love California - we have the beach, deserts, forest, etc. No shortage of "playgounds" :flowerforyou:

Recently, we went to Yosemite (Memorial Day Weekend), got stuck in crappy weather (snow/rain) - and did about 17 miles that day - was an adventure!

Take some tyenol and rest - you deserve it!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    Wow! That sounds AMAZING! A group of us will be going to Big Sur in August - staying at Tree Bones - have you heard of it? Anyways, I will definitely put this hike on our "to-do" list since I LOVE hiking too!

I want to do the TRT as well - did you do it in sections, or all at one time? With a group, or just you and hubby?

Gotta love California - we have the beach, deserts, forest, etc. No shortage of "playgounds" :flowerforyou:

Recently, we went to Yosemite (Memorial Day Weekend), got stuck in crappy weather (snow/rain) - and did about 17 miles that day - was an adventure!

Take some tyenol and rest - you deserve it!

We so want to do the Yosemite, it is in our to do list :bigsmile:
    Yes we do the TRT in sections. Two of my favorites were the Tahoe Meadows and the Spooner Summit....very pretty!
    You definitly have to go look at my pictures of our yesterday hikes. It will make you want to go TODAY hahahh!!
    There was a list and map of trails in a case at the Big Sur State Park, but we asked for a copy and they didn't have any :frown: We have looked around the internet and have found some info, but there was some trails on the map yesterday we didn't find online?
    I want to rest, but I'm on vacation and there is too much to do hahha! Ya that doesn't sound right...vacation, no resting hahah!
    Keep me posted on some of you hikes and any suggestions you may have (Yosemite) would be wonderful too.
    Kel~
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    OMG I wish I can go. I LOVE hiking :love: , so much that I started a hiking club so that I can groom my own hiking partners.

18 miles is a long trek, 26 miles sound amazing. I love uphill climbs, not much into down hill, but I guess if you go up...you must come down.

Thanks for sharing. :wink:
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    OMG I wish I can go. I LOVE hiking :love: , so much that I started a hiking club so that I can groom my own hiking partners.

18 miles is a long trek, 26 miles sound amazing. I love uphill climbs, not much into down hill, but I guess if you go up...you must come down.

Thanks for sharing. :wink:

I agree with the down hill only for the reason I lost toe nails last year ahhahahah! LMAO! :laugh: :laugh:
    It was funny. I was telling my husband on the down hill yesterday, my toe nails just grew back for god sake and they look nice LOL! :bigsmile:
    I think they will all make it this time, but next time maybe a different story.
    Happy hiking,
    Kelly
  • MFS27
    Options
    [/quote]

We so want to do the Yosemite, it is in our to do list :bigsmile:
    Yes we do the TRT in sections. Two of my favorites were the Tahoe Meadows and the Spooner Summit....very pretty!
    You definitly have to go look at my pictures of our yesterday hikes. It will make you want to go TODAY hahahh!!
    There was a list and map of trails in a case at the Big Sur State Park, but we asked for a copy and they didn't have any :frown: We have looked around the internet and have found some info, but there was some trails on the map yesterday we didn't find online?
    I want to rest, but I'm on vacation and there is too much to do hahha! Ya that doesn't sound right...vacation, no resting hahah!
    Keep me posted on some of you hikes and any suggestions you may have (Yosemite) would be wonderful too.
    Kel~
    [/quote]

We wanted to do Half Dome (who doesn't???) But since it was freakoid weather - the Dome was closed (ice, etc.) The ironic thing was that the weather had been in the 90's the week before :noway:

So, we combined several trails for a good hike: started up the mist trail to Nevada Falls, continued on the Panorama Trail (it was foggy, but in good weather you have an awesome view) up to Glacier Point (this is where it started snowing - we were not dressed for snow!) and down the 4-mile trail (very steep). In all, it took us about 10 hours of hiking - then we walked back to Curry Village (tent cabin - reasonable price). Next year we are thinking about staying over night in Little Yosemite (a backpackers campsite half way up Half Dome) so we don't have to lug a ton of crap with us!

My work won't let me see my space :sad: :sad: :sad: !! So I will def check it out when I get home tonight!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    My wife and I went to Treebones south of Big Sur last year and had a fabulous time, although we camped and didn't stay in the yurts. The Make-Them-Yourself waffles are worth the price of admission and falling asleep to the sound of barking sea lions.

Big Sur is definitely one of the great best kept secrets in California. Far enough away from everywhere to not get overrun with tourists.

Keep on truckin'...my hiking days are on hold until they invent low cost cartilage transplants so I'm a bit envious but I'm glad you and your hubby are out there on the trails.
  • MFS27
    Options
    My wife and I went to Treebones south of Big Sur last year and had a fabulous time, although we camped and didn't stay in the yurts. The Make-Them-Yourself waffles are worth the price of admission and falling asleep to the sound of barking sea lions.

Big Sur is definitely one of the great best kept secrets in California. Far enough away from everywhere to not get overrun with tourists.

Keep on truckin'...my hiking days are on hold until they invent low cost cartilage transplants so I'm a bit envious but I'm glad you and your hubby are out there on the trails.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Treebones! The price was a bit steep (we also are not staying in the Yurts - will pitch a tent), but how could I resist homemade waffles???? :laugh: I also like the fact that they have a pool/spa so we can (hopefully) enjoy the sunset from the warmth (safety) of the hot tub!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options

I haven't hear of the Treebones?
    My husband is retired Air Force so we always stay at the Naval Postgraduate school or the Naval Lodge. Great places and inexpensive for us, $65.00 a night for a 2 room suite! No waffles, but thats okay :happy:
    We just drove up to Big Sur it was about a 45 minute drive, no biggy! I get a little freaked out because of the cliffs. They only bother me in a car and for good reason. We say a highway patrol and tow trucks winching up a car that went over yesterday :frown: Made me sick to my tum tum! I hope the people survived!
    Ok hubby is back and we are off for a walk to get some Clam Chowder YUM! YUM!
    Kelly :flowerforyou: