new friends and starting intermittant fasting in 2013

Options
hi guys,

been thinking about IF for some time now and have finally decided to give it a try at the start of the new year,

would anyone care to join me?

Also looking for new friends been here a while I need all the support i can get...

thanks

Replies

• goobalicious2k
    Options
    ClobberCow (in my friends list) does pretty well with the IF, add me, and give him a holler.
  • hiphopjunkie02
    hiphopjunkie02 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for the past 3 weeks and love it. I am down 7lbs and thats with a few slip ups along the way (mainly christmas..ugh) Have you decided on how long of a feeding window you are going to try. Ive noticed the shorter the window the better my results. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated!
  • immz35
    immz35 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of starting with a 16/8 and may be a 24hr once a week..

friend request sent to both of u..
  • MyNameIsLala
    Options
    What is intermittant fasting exactly?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What kind of IF? By hours or by the day? I would try fasting for 12 hours first to see how you get on. Do it tomorrow. Just make a note of when you swallow your last food at night and don't eat for 12 hours after that. When you wake up, just drink water or black coffee, black tea etc ie zero calorie drinks. See how you feel, then the next trial extend that to 16 hours for a test. From then on, you could do a daily 16/8 hour IF or choose to do a 5/2 day split.

I do a 12/12 because it currently suits my lifestyle best. I used to do 16/8 every other day which was easy enough even when working with food and doing physical activities. Got the results I wanted. Also train towards the end of my fast.

I'm strongly considering bulking a bit now as (from my ticker) I've exceeded my weight loss goal by quite some margin so may stop IFing for a while.
  • immz35
    Options
    not eating for 16 hours straight an then eating all ur cals in an 8 hour window..
  • immz35
    Options
    @darrensurrey im gonna start with a 12/12 and then move straight on to a 16/8, how lonfg have u been doing it for?

im goona sent u a friend request..
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    From my Food Notes:

October 8, 2012
    Food Notes
    IF on Mondays for 4 weeks. Last ate 10pm Sunday, lunch at 1.30pm.

October 29, 2012
    Food Notes
    IF on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. Previous day last food intake around 11pm. Breaking fast around 1.30pm. Length of fast will vary from 14 hours to 16 hours. Seeing result after a month. On all days will target 1700-1900 as per usual so only difference is the regular 16 hours fasts.

November 21, 2012
    Food Notes
    IFing every day for a few weeks.

December 1, 2012
    Food Notes
    From today, breaking fast at midday irrespective of when I last ate. Typically a 12 hour fast, though. I will continue with normal training and eating targets and see what things are like for the next 20 days.

December 20, 2012
    Food Notes
    Start of two week diet break.

Will still practice IF midnight to midday but will eat 2000 or more depending on how I feel. Will still log.
    So you can see I did 1 day a week for 3 or so weeks, then 3 days a week, then every day with a 12/12 format as it's easier to know when I can start eating.

Message me if you need advice or anything - as I say, I coped despite working with food in a fasted state as well as doing intense physical activities.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of starting with a 16/8 and may be a 24hr once a week..

friend request sent to both of u..

You are mixing and matching two different protocols there.

Check out this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • immz35
    Options
    is that a bad thing...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    is that a bad thing...

If it puts you are too large of a deficit then yes, it can be. Stick to one protocol - see how that works and when you have a better understanding of the different protocols and how they effect you - tweak accordingly.
  • Bkhall79
    Options
    I started IF yesterday along with eating ALOT cleaner. i am using a 17/7 window. I'll keep u posted how it turns out.
  • minibee12
    Options
    I'm interested in intermittent fasting!
  • afugua0002
    Options
    bump
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    not eating for 16 hours straight an then eating all ur cals in an 8 hour window..
    I started this, and it's made a huge difference.
    Intermittent fasting is no magic bullet.
    It certainly helps with calorie control for some, and I am noticing more fat loss.
    One must still put in the work regarding exercise and calorie intake.
    Again, this is not some nutty fad diet though some IF gurus pitch it stronger than they should..with the help of their books, services and products - of course :grumble:
    I just keep it very simple while plugging my food intake into the MFP system as I still follow all this site's recommendations for steady and lasting results.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The friend/trainer I'm working with is practicing IF, and has been for a long time. I'm going to be skipping breakfast on days I don't work out, and eating at lunch, so I'm fasting from 8 PM the night before to 1 the next day, but not loading up on cals or carbs until my backload day (10 days). So I'm fasting for 15 hours.

On days where I work out I won't fast, I'll have something to eat after I work out.

My buddy? He fasts from dinner to dinner with intermittent snacks.
  • TanselJones
    TanselJones Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I've been doing IF since the middle of August. Since I've started IF, I've lost 65 pounds. I eat in a 4-5 hour window depending on the day. I usually start at about 2-4 pm and end anywhere between 6-8. The main reason I like IF is because I have gained complete control of my eating now. This was such a hard thing for me to deal with in the past. Another reason I like it is because I get to eat huge meals. I found that snacking just leaves me unsatisfied and wanting more which lead to me overeating. Now I can have the big meals and feel completely satisfied after eating. I used to obsess constantly about what I was going to eat and I got caught up in the hype of eating 5-6 small meals a day. That does work, but it was too hard to manage for me. With IF, there have been times when I look at the clock and realize I hadn't eaten yet. I have never had that feeling before. If anyone has any questions for me about how I go about it, feel free to ask. I'd recommend IF to anyone who likes bigger meals and likes a more structured eating plan.
  • nikleft
    nikleft Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd week of IF and really enjoying it, doing 2 24hr fasts each week. I love the idea of not eating, as opposed to eating packaged/processed foods in order to lose weight. It's also great for the food budget. A friend at work has lost over 30kg with it and looks amazing.
  • TRDGilliam777
    Options
    Hola! I'm an "IF'er" Add me! :)
  • BigSexy0_0
    Options
    bump