weight loss stall but can't shake up exercise routine

Options
Hi!
So for the past few weeks I haven't lost any weight even though I'm always netting around 1300 calories a day and I know people usually suggest switching up your workout routine when this happens however I'm on a division one sports team so my workouts are 9 times a week and I can't do anything except for what I'm told to do. Does any one have any suggestions for other ways to get past this stall?
Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating a lot more for the activity you're doing. Do you log your workouts and eat the extra calories you earn from them?
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Eating 1300 cals a day and working out 9 times a week is probably why you stalled. Try eating 1600 cals for a week, but keep exercise the same. I bumped my calories up 400 and in 1 week i dropped 6 lbs again.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Based on your activity level, you're probably not eating enough. Here's a good post with links and explaination on how to figure out your BMR and TDEE. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also, since you're part of a college sports program, do you have access to a nutritionist that can help you with an eating plan?
  • macaroon123
    macaroon123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log all my workouts and always eat back the calories, that's why i said netting at around 1300, id say i usually eat a total of closer to 1800-2000 calories a day
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR and NET 50 cals over this., which will be much higher than 1,300.
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    you could actually be logging too many calories. The calories are an estimate of what you have burned, you might actually be logging too many then...
  • macaroon123
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible but I really doubt it, the workouts we do are pretty long and intense and I usually log a bit less then I actually do. Say for example we run for 50 minutes straight, ill log like 40-45 mins or something like that.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're on a div I team, you probably shouldn't be too worried about losing weight unless your coach thinks it's necessary. If you want to drop a few pounds, maybe just wait until the season's over when you can do some cross-training. I would also suggest investing in a scale that measures body fat. It's a great tool to see *real* progress--especially for an athlete. Body weight doesn't tell the whole story.

I also agree with the other suggestions that you up your caloric intake for at least the remainder of the season. Here's a tool a lot of people on here use: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/. Input your info and look at the activity levels at the bottom. You're gonna be in the "very active category".

Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on measurements than on weight. From looking at your profile you don't need to lose a whole lot more, you are only 22 lbs from your goal. That being said, it will take a lot longer for the weight to come off. What is your lose goal at? Is it 2lbs, 1lb, or .5? I would think that you being so close that it might be more logical to focus on .5 pounds. And since you are on a sports team, I would think that you would think that you are already fairly athletic so your cardio is probably good..but are you lifting weights? Lifting can help you out a lot. And I am not meaning light barbie weights, I am meaning heavy lifting? Something like StrongLifts or NRLFW?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I don't think shaking up the exercise is what you need - when you're on a sports team and in training, it is already intense enough. Unless you feel like you've barely done anything at the end, I think your exercise is fine.

I agree that you may want to try eating a bit more. Also evaluate why you are trying to lose weight. Like the above poster said, I wouldn't expect many div team athletes should be overall concerned about weight loss (If you're in something like wrestling that has weight categories and you're trying to get into a lower category … well that's an issue all of its own). Maybe eating a little more will help, though. Or maybe making sure you're getting all your vitamins. IMO (which is, admittedly, not especially educated :ohwell: ) not getting enough micronutrients can be just as much to blame for a stall as anything.
  • macaroon123
    Options
    For a while i was at 2 pounds a week, now i've just switched it to one based on your guys' advice. we do lift twice a week-heavy lifting lol. I don't know I guess I'll try this out and see if eating more helps!