Looking for new fitness pals especially those with PCOS

Options
Hi there, I've just downloaded the application for my i-phone and am using it online too.
I'm really keen to make some new friends on here so we can encourage each other and trade ideas, especially those of you who have PCOS! You know how frustrating this disease is and hard it is to lose weight when you have it!!
I'm a 38 yr old English woman but I live in the Middle East (Bahrain) at the moment and have lived here for 18 months.

I feel like my weight is getting out of control and I am hoping that tracking it on here and with the help and support of new friends will help.
I have had PCOS since I was 15 yrs old but was not diagnosed until I was 30... years of being told by GP's that there was nothing wrong with me even though I was complaining of all the classic symptoms of PCOS until a beautician told me I had what sounded like PCOS... I'm sure it's a familiar story to many!
I've spent the last 23 yrs battling with my weight and I feel like I'm starting to lose the battle just that bit too much at the moment, which is why I am here!

Look forwards to making some great friends here and supporting each other!

Lisa

Replies

• justesje
    justesje Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa. Welcome to MFP. I'm here for you as I am sure many will be too. I had the PCOS scare too a couple of years ago but it turned out to be nothing. I do get checked from time to time to make sure it doesn't manifest itself. You will enjoy the site, lots of encouraging individuals motivating you to get fitter and to eat healthily. Once you understand what works for you, stick to it and watch the pounds drop off. Good luck! (",)
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi Ushanya,
    Thanks for adding me as a friend and the welcome! I'm really looking forwards to using the site.. It looks pretty user friendly!
    That's great that you don't have PCOS.... but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on it so you can nip it in the bud once you know! If only I'd known when I was 15 what I know now then I would not have the weight problem I have today!
    Looks like you're doing really well! Well done!
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :smile:

I'm all to familiar to useless GP's, they have ignored my stomach problems for over 10 years, I hope I have now found the answer myself - through trial and error. I seem to have wheat/gluten issues.
    GP's seem to be uninterested unless they are able to prescribe a medication for me.
    I never got any real help until I started demanding it.

I'll be happy to encourage you and offer help along your weight loss journey.
    You'll love it here, loads of great people :flowerforyou:
    Mel xx
  • Jennifer195
    Options
    Hello, nice to meet someone else over in the middle east I'm currently in Dhahran lived here just a little over a year now.
    We do get to Bahrain time to time. Always nice to run into ppl who are somewhat local. Went thru culture shock with the change that made me lazy and I racked on the lbs quickly. Now that I'm used to being here time to get my body in gear.

You are off to a great start here I just joined and enjoy it

Jenn
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Welcome! I dont have PCOS But I can use all the encouragement I can get so I will add you :D
  • LisaJayne71
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the messages of welcome and support Mel, Kimberly and Jennifer!!
    It really makes all the difference knowing other people are there too!

Jennifer.. I know what you mean about the culture shock! Even though Bahrain is very relaxed and an easy place to live as a Westerner, I also am getting a bit of Island Fever! Having lived in London for 16 yrs prior to moving here, I am missing the choice of things to do on a weekend... everything here revolves around food and drinking (alcohol!)
    The party scene in Bahrain is crazy!
    They say you gain the Middle Eastern stone when you arrive here due to the food culture and lack of exercise due to the heat and they're not kidding! I think I got 2 of the stones!

Looking forwards to hearing how you all of you are getting on and the kind of things you are eating and doing!

Lisa x
  • ATXrunner
    ATXrunner Posts: 41
    Options
    Hey there, Miss Lisa!

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS which, in addition to my hypothyroidism, makes losing weight particularly challenging. :grumble: My ob/gyn prescribed me Yaz, which is supposed to help. Are you taking an OC at the moment? The great thing about Yaz is that it is widely available in the States and in Europe (I moved to Munich last year).

Anyway, you might want to look into this option? Just a thought. =)

Kristi :flowerforyou:
  • LisaJayne71
    Options
    Hi Kristi!,

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you too!

Are you talking about Yasmin the contraceptive pill? I was on Dianette for many years but it made me gain more weight and then I was on Yasmin but it didn't help me at all and I was then taken off it because of my age... since coming off the pill I've been having my periods fairly regularly so I probably didn't need to be on the pill after all!

What is OC?... I'm not very good with abbreviations! Going to have to learn!!!

Lisa :smile: