good ideas for sides that aren't vegetables???

Options
that leaves me next to NOTHING. the only sides my boyfriend will touch are macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes...or pretty much any variation of the above.

he will not go near a green bean wrapped in bacon and covered in brown sugar (yes i've tried). pretty much anything green or that did not once have a face he has trouble eating. he says he is one of the super-tasters...he doesn't do bitter. even grapefruit is too bitter for him.

i feel like i'm dealing with a six year old, and it's starting to cause issues in what i cook for myself.

any ideas are much appreciated!!!

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If he's going to act like a six year old, you always treat him like a six year old. Serve up the veg, and if he doesn't eat it, he goes hungry. If he complains, let him know where the kitchen is.

Oh, and in before "just break up".
  • dtcortez
    Options
    hey
    I am a diabetic and on a diet, my diatician told me to substitute v8 juice ( 1 cup) if I don't have any veggies for lunch and dinner.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If he likes potatoes, I highly recommend having him try other similar vegetables roasted in the oven. Like sweet potato, rutabega, turnip, and/or parsnip. Follow a recipe like this one if you don't know how to cook those. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-root-vegetables/
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    "I'm a super taster" seems to have become the go to excuse for people that don't want to eat vegetables. He may be a super taster, but if I was asked to put money down, I'd bet against it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Serve him potatoes, then. If he doesn't want veggies, he doesn't have to eat them.
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    have you tried making the faux-cauliflower "mashed potatoes"? You can play around with it and make it to your liking. My sister has a husband similar to your boyfriend and she "hides veggies" in their meals. She will puree spinach with spaghetti sauce to hide veggies. I found this recipe online:

http://www.steamykitchen.com/20966-cauliflower-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower
    1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Directions
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.

Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh

rosemary for a whole new taste.

Per Serving: Calories: 149; Total Fat: 11.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 8 grams; Sugar: 4 gramsl; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 31 milligrams; Sodium: 170 milligrams

**edited to add another link
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he's a root veggie person. Try sweet potato, carrot and leek dauphinoise, or anything covered in cheese sauce - you can make it healthier by using cottage cheese, blended till smooth, mixed with salt and pepper and a bit of mustard to enhance the cheesiness. Otherwise...tell him that's what he's getting and he should get used to it.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You can eat what I make, or you can fend for yourself. That's the rule in my house.
  • PhoenixIsis
    Options
    that leaves me next to NOTHING. the only sides my boyfriend will touch are macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes...or pretty much any variation of the above.

he will not go near a green bean wrapped in bacon and covered in brown sugar (yes i've tried). pretty much anything green or that did not once have a face he has trouble eating. he says he is one of the super-tasters...he doesn't do bitter. even grapefruit is too bitter for him.

i feel like i'm dealing with a six year old, and it's starting to cause issues in what i cook for myself.

Let him cook for himself and just worry about your own food.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I feel like i'm dealing with a six year old, and it's starting to cause issues in what i cook for myself.

Stop cooking for him, then. Maybe he is acting like a child because you treat him like one. Make him cook for himself and he might grow the heck up a little. *smh*
  • KelliB25
    Options
    Make mashed cauliflower and pass it off as potatoes.... My family agrees that they are almost better than mashed potatoes!!
    You can also slip things into sauces and stuff and he will usually never know its in there... Like really fine diced or shredded and sauteed zuchinni in spaghetti sauce. Or even shred it and put in burgers! Just a few ideas!:wink:
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    have you tried making the faux-cauliflower "mashed potatoes"? You can play around with it and make it to your liking. My sister has a husband similar to your boyfriend and she "hides veggies" in their meals. She will puree spinach with spaghetti sauce to hide veggies. I found this recipe online:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower
    1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Directions
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.

Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh

rosemary for a whole new taste.

Per Serving: Calories: 149; Total Fat: 11.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 8 grams; Sugar: 4 gramsl; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 31 milligrams; Sodium: 170 milligrams

Good on your sister for making the effort to get healthy food into an obstinate spouse, but I just wouldn't accept the excuses from a grown adult. If bad enough when my daughter complains about veges. If my wife tried it she'd get a healthy serving of "grow the f**k up and eat your vegetables." :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    "I'm a super taster" seems to have become the go to excuse for people that don't want to eat vegetables. He may be a super taster, but if I was asked to put money down, I'd bet against it.

Yup. I'm not buying it, unless I hear a Dr. say it.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Why can't you fix him potatoes and you eat veggies? I make food frequently for my sweetie that I don't eat. Now, having said that, he'd be the first one to tell me not to bother with making him something special, he'll just eat the veggie with me. But it's something I do because I'm willing and have the time to do it. When neither of the aforementioned is the case, he gets meat, a veggie and a salad. And if he wants something else, he's a grown man and knows where to find it.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese makes an excellent side; high in protein. The only negative is the sodium content.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Have you tried raw versus cooked?
    Like my husband loves raw spinach in salad but hates it cooked.

I agree with the posters above to try some sweet potatoes.
    They are a good bridge over to the vegetable fun side. :happy:

My husband actually never ate ANY vegetables besides white potatoes when he lived at home--- just because his mom would cook the daylights out of everything.

Also what if you did fruit as a side?
    Cook some apples with a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon or maybe have an orange with dinner.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough -- the distaste for vegetables, and the "bitterness" is actually genetic... and not just stubborness or ignorance for variety. I was just listening to a podcast on this subject the other day. Why some people "just don't like vegetables."

Here's the science that backs it up. http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutritionforchildren/a/bitterstudy.htm

How about pita bread with tomato sauce and feta cheese - melted under the broiler and cut into triangles? :love:
  • noodle7417
    noodle7417 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to know because I am on a low oxilate diet because I have had 6 kidney stones all ready and they have found 3 more sitting in my left kidney waiting to cause me more pain. This cuts out most of the fruits and vegetables that I can eat on top of being a picky eater. I cant even have to potatoes. So for me this is a good question to want to know a real answer to besides just suck it up because i cant really do that with out putting myself in the hospital more than I all ready am with the kidney stones.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I fail to see what the problem is? You don't cook vegetables because he won't eat them? I would still cook a meal... knowing he doesn't like nor will eat the vegetable... cook what you want as much as you want and let him go without a side.

I have a friend that doesn't like anything in salad except lettuce (iceburg), radishes and carrots... I make a large salad with spring mix and spinach and all veggies... He picks out what he doesn't want.
  • Suzeboo
    Options
    BUMP