Looking for New Vegetarian Recipes!

Options
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you out there have any really fun vegetarian recipes you'd like to share! I love to cook, so I'm up for any challenge!

I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now. I know quite a bit about the foods i SHOULD be eating, but I just need some new ideas! (i've been bad lately and have been giving in to the easier 'carb options' instead of healthy vegetarian choices).

Here are a few personalized vegetarian recipes I've concocted throughout the years:

- i've come to discover that balsamic vinegar is AWESOME for marinating tofu. It really sweetens up after cooking it. Delish. Sometimes I'll add some marinated, cooked tofu and almonds to a salad to spice it up a bit.

- Bean medley --> kidney beans, chick peas, lentils (or any other bean!), garlic, green onion, olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. (Every time I make this, my brother, though not vegetarian, swoops in and devours entire bowlfuls.! He's a big workout guy and loves the protein factor - lentils are one of the best protein-packed legumes- wonderful for vegetarians, as I'm sure you know.)

- Spinach sandwiches - defrost/drain/chop frozen spinach. Cook with garlic, mushrooms, onions in a bit of olive oil. Put on whole wheat toast, melt a bit of grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top.. it's my boyfriend's FAVOURITE for breakfast. -- awesome for iron.!! (one package of frozen spinach is enough for two sandwiches).

- I didn't invent this one, but one of my favourite high protein foods is edamame in shell (soy beans - the stuff they make tofu with!). You can buy it at most supermarkets now (organic frozen food section), and it's so easy. All you do is steam it in a bit of water for 6 mins, drain, sprinkle some salt, and enjoy a delicious, healthy snack!

Can't wait to hear about YOUR personal veggie favourites!!!

Replies

• ryanmelissa09
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you out there have any really fun vegetarian recipes you'd like to share! I love to cook, so I'm up for any challenge!

I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now. I know quite a bit about the foods i SHOULD be eating, but I just need some new ideas! (i've been bad lately and have been giving in to the easier 'carb options' instead of healthy vegetarian choices).

Here are a few personalized vegetarian recipes I've concocted throughout the years:

- i've come to discover that balsamic vinegar is AWESOME for marinating tofu. It really sweetens up after cooking it. Delish. Sometimes I'll add some marinated, cooked tofu and almonds to a salad to spice it up a bit.

- Bean medley --> kidney beans, chick peas, lentils (or any other bean!), garlic, green onion, olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. (Every time I make this, my brother, though not vegetarian, swoops in and devours entire bowlfuls.! He's a big workout guy and loves the protein factor - lentils are one of the best protein-packed legumes- wonderful for vegetarians, as I'm sure you know.)

- Spinach sandwiches - defrost/drain/chop frozen spinach. Cook with garlic, mushrooms, onions in a bit of olive oil. Put on whole wheat toast, melt a bit of grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top.. it's my boyfriend's FAVOURITE for breakfast. -- awesome for iron.!! (one package of frozen spinach is enough for two sandwiches).

- I didn't invent this one, but one of my favourite high protein foods is edamame in shell (soy beans - the stuff they make tofu with!). You can buy it at most supermarkets now (organic frozen food section), and it's so easy. All you do is steam it in a bit of water for 6 mins, drain, sprinkle some salt, and enjoy a delicious, healthy snack!

Can't wait to hear about YOUR personal veggie favourites!!!

I have a ton of recipes but this one is my favorite , its not cooking but involves baking!!
    If you are craving cake this is a great alternative and is absolutely phenomenal!!

Vegan Apple Cake

Ingredients:
    Butter, softened (I used Earth Balance – 4 tbspns) 3 tablespoons
    Sugar 3/4 cup
    Ener-G (in place of 1 egg)1 and 1/2 teaspoons
    Water 2 tablespoons
    Soy Milk (if using Ener-G)3 tablespoons
    Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
    All Purpose Flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour) 1 cup
    Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
    Salt 1/4 teaspoon
    Ground Cinnamon (I used 1/4 teaspoon) 1/2 teaspoon
    Ground Nutmeg (I did not use) 1/2 teaspoon
    Apples, peeled and diced (I grated it) 3 cups
    Nuts, chopped (I used 1/2 cup walnuts) 1/4 cup

Procedure:
    1.Preheat oven at 350F for 15 minutes. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.

2 In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Since the quantity of butter is very less, the creamed mixture was dry and resembled coarse crumbs.

3 In a blender/food processor blend together Ener-G, water, soy milk and vanilla extract until nice and foamy.

4 Add the Ener-G mixture to the creamed butter/sugar and beat everything together with the hand mixer until thoroughly combined. This mixture looks creamy like a white sauce.

5 In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using). Add this to the wet ingredients. The batter will be thick.

6 Stir in apples and nuts. Mix it thoroughly.

7 Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Mine was done around 38 minutes. You can also see that the cake starts pulling from the edges.

8 This cake can be sliced directly from the pan while its still warm, so no need to wait for the pan to cool to invert it and then slice it.
  • GreenieBean
    GreenieBean Posts: 64
    Options
    I love making stuffed zucchinni. Cut down the middle and hollow out. bake till tender. 350 for about 15 minutes. I stuff mine with mushrooms, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, bell pepper, parmesan cheese tomatoes and so it sticks together, an egg. chop all the veg up saute in a pan with olive oil, let cool, stir in breadcrumbs and egg and whatever seasoning you like (thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, red pepper flake, etc). You can ad any other vegetables you have laying around. I top with a little more cheese and bake antoher 10 minutes or so. You can search some other recipes like this. I kind of made this one up.

I love love love tabouleh salad as well. Look up some recipes for that if you haven't tried it. It's so good to eat on pita or a good crusty bread.
  • skyisthelimit25
    Options
    mmmmm!! those sound like great recipes!! i've yet to cook with tabbouleh, but will in the near future now that you've brought it up !

ryanmelissa, what's Ener-G? I've never used or heard of that before. Is this the same maker of those Emergen-C drinks I've been reading about on here?
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    mmmmm!! those sound like great recipes!! i've yet to cook with tabbouleh, but will in the near future now that you've brought it up !

ryanmelissa, what's Ener-G? I've never used or heard of that before. Is this the same maker of those Emergen-C drinks I've been reading about on here?

Ener-G is not the same as what is in those drinks . Itis just a substitute that mimics what eggs actually do in any baking process and for those who can not use eggs.. I usually buy mine online at ener-g.com its about $7.00. Or you can just use one egg for the recipe and it will come out the just asgood :)