good ideas for sides that aren't vegetables???

Options

Replies

• Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Make yourself whatever you want and throw a baked potato in the microwave for a few minutes for him (poke holes in it first with a fork). I do this frequently for my husband! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pasta, rice, garlic bread, dinner rolls
  • healthychicksrule
    Options
    When there is a difficult choosey eater in the mix it can be frustrating. However, keep to your plan and make what you like. If he is going to eat junk he can prepare whatever he likes. Sometimes the effort required to cook for oneself suddenly makes trying new stuff an option out of ease. Personally, i think when grown people behave like that especially about foods then there are deeper issues. If you are on a healthy path do not deviate or accomodate his tastes if it does not fit in with your goals. Period. You will be glad you did!
    Congratulations on making great choices for health and nutrition! Stay strong :)
    Dawn ACSM CPT
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Most guys who don't like veg will still eat Cesar salad. Just a thought.

HOWEVER, I just make a side of whatever I like, if the bf doesn't like it...he doesn't have to eat it.
    Not his mom or his personal chef.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You can eat what I make, or you can fend for yourself. That's the rule in my house.

:drinker: Those are my rules too
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As I tell my husband...this is what I'm making, if you don't like it don't eat it but you are on your own then! A grown man can fend for himself & make his own health choices & they certainly shouldn't stop you from making yours too.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    umm i had to train my bf to enjoy vegetables. he knew they were good for him, so he choked them down (some soy sauce or bbq helped) and now he enjoys some vegetables, but still chokes down others.

not many people pop out of the womb loving broccoli & spinach. gotta train the tastebuds!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    sweet potatos, rice (brown or white), quinoa, couscous, bulgur, amaranth (haven't tried that last one but I hear it's good)

root vegetables

fruit

nothing--he can cook his own meals or eat what you serve? ;)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't cook for him.
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pasta, rice, garlic bread, dinner rolls

Wow, I have a hard time believing you earned that body by eating pasta and dinner rolls!
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    have you tried making the faux-cauliflower "mashed potatoes"? You can play around with it and make it to your liking. My sister has a husband similar to your boyfriend and she "hides veggies" in their meals. She will puree spinach with spaghetti sauce to hide veggies. I found this recipe online:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower
    1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Directions
    Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.

Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh

rosemary for a whole new taste.

Per Serving: Calories: 149; Total Fat: 11.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 8 grams; Sugar: 4 gramsl; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 31 milligrams; Sodium: 170 milligrams

Good on your sister for making the effort to get healthy food into an obstinate spouse, but I just wouldn't accept the excuses from a grown adult. If bad enough when my daughter complains about veges. If my wife tried it she'd get a healthy serving of "grow the f**k up and eat your vegetables." :laugh:

I agree. I'm glad my husband eats what I cook and is happy about it. :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Potato pancakes maybe? I put potatoes, onion, a bit of flour and an egg in the blender then fry it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to know because I am on a low oxilate diet because I have had 6 kidney stones all ready and they have found 3 more sitting in my left kidney waiting to cause me more pain. This cuts out most of the fruits and vegetables that I can eat on top of being a picky eater. I cant even have to potatoes. So for me this is a good question to want to know a real answer to besides just suck it up because i cant really do that with out putting myself in the hospital more than I all ready am with the kidney stones.

My sympathies. I had two stones last year and I know how much those little swines hurt.

Technically I am also on a low oxilate diet, but then I was also put on a low cholesterol diet and low salt diet. Well that made things a ridiculous pain in the behind, so I've ditched the low oxilate and I just try to drink tons and tons of water to keep my kidneys 'flushed'. I'm five months stone-free so far, so fingers crossed I've got away with it.

Not that I'd suggest anyone go against their Doctor's wishes without consulting them first. I talked to my doctor about it and he's the one that suggested just going with lots of water.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you the one who cooks and does the shopping? If so, make whatever sides you want. IF he doesn't want to eat it than he can make his own.

Or, research healthier ways to make things. Baked potatos aren't bad... it is just what you put on them. You can make healthier mashed potatos. Use milk instead of cream, light sour cream instead of so much butter, and use half potatos and half cauliflower.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese makes an excellent side; high in protein. The only negative is the sodium content.

Not sure about all stores but I know at mine (Giant) you can buy a no-salt added kind.

I understand your desire to try and make something that he will like and it's nice of you, but in the end, he is a grown man. Make what you want and what you will eat and he will either eat it or not. I know there are ways to sneak it in but to me that makes you his mother and not a partner.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I went through the same thing with my ex boyfriend. He pretty much lived off of chicken fingers and fruit punch...culinarily speaking, I just left him in the dust. I gave him a bit of wiggle room (as in he had off-limits food that I would never make), but if he couldn't compromise, then he got to order pizza :) I don't think your boyfriend is a terrible person, but he certainly needs to grow up a bit, and explore different types of food! There are plenty of way to make vegetables not taste like vegetables (blending squash into macaroni, for example), but they're mostly meant for children. As a last tip..if he were really a super taster, I doubt he'd be eating nothing but starchy-buttery-salty-junk. Just a thought!
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    Try the Broccoli and Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes from skinnytaste.com (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/broccoli-and-cheese-twice-baked-potatoes.html). The potatoes are mashed with cauilflower to add nutrition, plus the broccoli with a little cheese on top is so tasty! My husband loved them!!

Calories: 146.5 • Fat: 3.5 g • Protein: 8 g • Carb: 23 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Sugar: 1.5 g
    Sodium: 152.5 mg
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice or stir fried veggies with a sweet sauce... or even throw them together!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    How about quinoa?