Sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Had a nosy at your diary as I'm very rarely over. Like others have said its the processed stuff. Try making your own tacos etc - you'll find stuff you make yourself tastes better too.

Don't know if you guys have heard about the horse meat scandal we're having over here but I think it's actually been a good thing - people are going to the butchers and actually cooking a meal instead of feeding their kids the frozen crap they usually do. I'd be more worried about all the preservatives and emulsifiers in this stuff than the actual horsemeat.

Btw I don't eat completely clean or anything myself - quarter pounder for dinner tonight :/
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    If you're eating prepared foods, you will more than likely have a higher sodium intake. I am now eating a lot of clean/whole foods and my sodium is under consistently.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When looking for deli meat look for low sodium and have them cut you a piece to try. I recently picked up some Boar's Head - Blazing Buffalo Style Roasted Chicken Breast from Walmart. One serving was 390 sodium, about half to a third normal processed meat. I also eat Cheerios Plain and they are about half what your choice is. But i agree WHY do they put sodium in everything? Even if you make your own foods you'll still come close to or go over in sodium levels.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My total salt a day is 1500mg, and I normall do not go over 1000. Stay away from lunch meats of any kind, canned veggies, meats, soups etc. Remember....low salt listed on the can means nothing. It is lower then the reg. version which is way to much anyway. Your body needs some salt, but no where near the 2500mg mark. Last cardio doc. I spoke with said a couple hundred is all the body really needs to function. Cut out processes, as it equals salt. Breads have way to much salt. Baking soda is a salt and is in bread products. Cut back a little at a time to allow your taste buds to adjust. After awhile of doing this you will not miss it and if you were to eat something with the now normal amount of salt, you will notice the difference. I have high BP and really need to watch the stuff, but have not found it an issue. BTW, my evening treat is a shot of bourbon on the rocks......no salt on that.
    Also watch eating out......everything is loaded with salt. Go to better places to eat that do not mass prepair foods. You can request less or no added salt. This cuts down on the eating out, as well as the salt...LOL
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just changed mine to 1500.
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    I also watch my sodium. I'm not always under but it is much easier now that I pay much closer attention. I try to always read the labels when buying something new or different. Like others have said, cooking at home and staying away from the prepackaged food helps a ton.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Slightly random... I went and looked at your diary, and was like "TACO BUENO!? I wonder if this guy is from Tulsa...."

I guess the name was an obvious clue. Haha.