why do 95%of people put weight back on, ugh

Options
123457»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stop telling me when I agree with you...it's annoying. I don't. Done discussing with you. Troll away.

Do you agree that you lose weight when you eat less?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be one of them. I have gained 10 back, working hard to get it off. Are they undisciplined or life stresses getting to them. What do you think, kind of depressing but I dont think it has to be this way if we are vigilant.

What's your reason for gaining 10lb back?
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The ones who put it back on are on diets. The ones who keep it off have made a llifestyle change.

This! Most people treat weight loss like a task. "I just ned to lose X pounds and then life will be perfect." When they hit their goal weight, they think they are done and go back to what they were doing before. "I'm so glad to be off that diet. I missed my morning latte with donut." Because what they did before is what got them to gain in the first place, they just end up gaining weight plus a little extra just for fun.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mostly because they fail to realize healthy eating at least 90% of the time is really a complete lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. Making the change and losing can be difficult, but learning how to maintain can also be a challenge. Also, I believe many people focus WAY TOO MUCH on HOW MUCH they eat vs WHAT they eat, which, IMO the latter is so much more important in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle long term. It doesn't matter if I'm eating under my calorie goal if I'm eating nothing but processed crap. I won't be any healthier than I was before, even though I might weigh less. Focus on quality more than quantity and making the lifestyle change will be much easier, IMO.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How much of the struggle comes from the increase in number of fat cells (hyperplasia)? Does having an excess of fat cells caused by obesity put me in a position where I will always have cells ready and "hungry" to store fat?
  • carrow04
    carrow04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i always tried to do it too fast. I never made any real changes that could be incorporated into my daily life. I ended up feeling deprived and reverting back to bad habits once i met a certain weight goal. I've never really had a problem losing the weight. It's always been keeping it off. I only ever made real progress when i came to the conclusion that i would always have to log my food to keep myself in check and keep from feeling deprived. Being honest about what i eat has taught me more about myself and why i do the things that i do. It has also taught me satiety and moderation. Becoming overweight wasn't something that happened overnight. It was something that happened over a 10 year period. I can't expect the reversal of this process to be instantaneous.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,896 Member
    Options
    I've been one of the 95%, but now I'm determined to be in the 5%. And I have been in the 95% many times and will only be in the 5% once, so the numbers are probably not so dismal as they seem. No child learns to walk the first time, but 95% of children eventually figure it out.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How much of the struggle comes from the increase in number of fat cells (hyperplasia)? Does having an excess of fat cells caused by obesity put me in a position where I will always have cells ready and "hungry" to store fat?

Nope.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Another thing I wonder is what is the definition of this? If you gain 5lbs, doesn't that technically make you part of the 95%?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The ones who put it back on are on diets. The ones who keep it off have made a llifestyle change.

This
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have gained back like 15-20 of what I lost back in 2010. I was stressed, moved across the country twice in 2011. Then again last year. I've been eating like crap. I'm finally trying to snap myself out of it.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    With all things considered, I think it is extremely important for people to simply ACCEPT that it is 100% NORMAL for your weight to fluctuate within a ten pound range throughout your life.

If you sort out your lifestyle, you should never have to weigh yourself more than once per month.

Be consistent. Indulge sometimes, but get back on track. Balance.
  • Dhalyia
    Dhalyia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ''That 95 percent figure has become clinical lore,'' said Dr. Thomas Wadden, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. There is no basis for it, he said, ''but it's part of the mythology of obesity.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/health/95-regain-lost-weight-or-do-they.html
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Because long term diet and exercise don't work for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose. Think between 3-5%. Many people have a broken metabolism from lifelong yo-yo dieting.

It isn't b/c they are lazy or eating their *kitten* off. It's a matter of body mechanics and metabolism. You only have SO much control over what your body does. You can attempt to make it bend to your will but only so far. Once that point is reached you either have to accept where you are OR find another solution.

I hate that when diet and exercise fail us - WE are seen as the failure and not our bodies. Are there some people that don't eat well or exercise that are overweight? Yep there are. But the people who really struggle and try are all lumped into that category of lazy and didn't try hard enough. And the ones who say you didn't change your lifestyle - yeah you haven't walked in her shoes. You don't know what she has or hasn't done.

Would it be acceptable to tell someone who had cancer that they didn't "try hard enough" to cure it, especially when the success rate of a particular treatment is 3-5%? Who in their right mind would sign up for that if they knew the true reality of the success rate?

No one.

This isn't all to say "give up" or stop trying. This is more to say stop blaming yourself if you really HAVE tried. It's to give you a reason behind why your body will not bend to your will.
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is the third time I've had good success on a diet, but (I hope) the difference this time is that I will stay focused on what I'm putting into my mouth and not keep adding things back into my 'diet' until I'm where I was before.

It's really hard with a hubby who eats no fruits and veggies and two young adults who eat whatever they want...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Because long term diet and exercise don't work for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose. Think between 3-5%. Many people have a broken metabolism frm lifelong yo-yo dieting.

It isn't b/c they are lazy or eating their *kitten* off. It's a matter of body mechanics and metabolism. You only have SO much control over what your body does. You can attempt to make it bend to your will but only so far. Once that point is reached you either have to accept where you are OR find another solution.

I hate that when diet and exercise fail us - WE are seen as the failure and not our bodies. Are there some people that don't eat well or exercise that are overweight? Yep there are. But the people who really struggle and try are all lumped into that category of lazy and didn't try hard enough. And the ones who say you didn't change your lifestyle - yeah you haven't walked in her shoes. You don't know what she has or hasn't done.

Would it be acceptable to tell someone who had cancer that they didn't "try hard enough" to cure it, especially when the success rate of a particular treatment is 3-5%? Who in their right mind would sign up for that if they knew the true reality of the success rate?

No one.

This isn't all to say "give up" or stop trying. This is more to say stop blaming yourself if you really HAVE tried. It's to give you a reason behind why your body will not bend to your will.

This is simply not true for the vast majority of people. People put weight back on because they revert to their old habits, not because they're doing all the right things and they balloon up anyway.