The `expert`

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
There are so many people on MFP that give advice, that bully (yep it is true), that are super motivational, that are funny...and more

This question may not get many replies cos people may get shy...

but what makes `the expert` what makes the person that we should all listen to `the expert`?

Who knows best?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never felt bullied by anyone on this site and I am surprised that any adult has.

To answer your question, the so-called expert is someone who has had fitness success and has chosen to educate him or her self.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's me.

Don't eat Carbs.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    bigstock-The-words-Hello-I-Am-An-Expert-36518137_zpsc4501c1d.jpg
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that Oreos are not the HOO HAR everyone makes them out to be.

Therefore I must be the expert as I go against the mass hysteria to deliver the truth.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Even "Experts" don't agree.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Nobody! You just assess the advice your given and make your own decisions. Don't let anybody tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing. Do what you think is right for you!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, ideally I'd like to think that people would weigh the evidence, do their own due diligence and read research from credible sources, employ their own critical thinking skills, turn on their cray cray-dar, be aware of their own baggage they're bringing into this and how it affects decision-making, and ultimately choose to listen to advice which advocates a rational, balanced, slow approach to weight loss that is healthy and sustainable.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. And by that I mean not easy at all. It takes a while to be able to do all that. I need to remember that when I see some of the stuff I do around here. I was right there with them once.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I was going to comment, but "the populars" found my daughter's instagram account. And that's, like, so not cool because she hates them times, like, infinity.

BRB, saving the world.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's kind of subjective. Alan Aragon, Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Layne Norton, etc, could all come here and post. People would contest them, and they would all eventually be banned.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's kind of subjective. Alan Aragon, Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Layne Norton, etc, could all come here and post. People would contest them, and they would all eventually be banned.

That's because Rippetoe would tell me to 'jump and shrug' on my power cleans, and I'd get all hostile on him. ;)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I usually go with people who have been successful with weight loss, have common sense attitudes towards being healthy, don't talk about quick fixes (diet pills, cleanses, etc...), and who (like Contrarian said) educate themselves on being healthy.

People who aren't as obsessed with the number on the scale, and are more concerned with their health. And people who aren't afraid to tell others excited about diet pills, that they are being scammed.

In the end, you know your body and you know what works for your body. But the "experts" may be able to guide you in the healthier direction so that your weight loss is better for you in the long run. :smile:

And I have seen so many threads about bullies.... but I have yet to see any actual bullying. I see people with strong opinions being called bullies though... :ohwell:
    But I haven't been on here too long...

I have found great motivation here (like you, twinketta!!) and some very inspiring people (ahem... yoovie...)!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    know-it-all-300x223.png

How YOU doin'? :wink:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Good question. I dont think anyone is an expert even those of use with paper behind our names. The science of nutrition is unfortunately fairly recent within the last century, and every year something new is learned or old ideas are found to be completely false i.e. you rarely see the square meal idea anymore. I think you take bits and pieces from everyone. You watch what they say. If I see the words "ALWAYS or NEVER." I pretty much disregard everything esle thats said.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

For the third time today... I love you.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I know best. Listen to me.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I listen to people with incredible bodies that inspire me or people that have advanced degrees with years of experience teaching and getting results out clients/students. On MFP, that leaves about 2-3 people. The rest are just as clueless as I am.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    EXPERT defined is a "has been 50 miles away from home" or an ex-drip under pressure.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The answer is Taso.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What makes a person "average"?