Couch to 5K

Options
Anyone ever done the C25K program? Our hospital sponsors a 5K Road Run in October and I've made it my goal to run the entire 3.1 miles this year. It must be noted that I have never been a runner--but it has always been on my "bucket list". I did the first workout of the C25K program today with one slight modification...alternating between 60 seconds of walking and 60 seconds of jogging. It really wasn't that bad---at least not for a gal who would walk 5 minutes and run 1 minute!

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever done it and how long it took you to be able to run for 30 minutes straight. I have plenty of time until the race so I'm anxious to get to the finish line--but also have the luxury of taking my time!

Replies

• thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. I just started on week 4... went from running for 1 minute to running two sets of 5 minutes no problem. I'm also a non-runner, so I can identify! I say, do it! If you stick with it, it works.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just finished this week. Feels great. Was never a runner before! Now a 5k in 36min. Have my first race next month.

I used the app 5krunner but there are a ton of them out there.

Get a good pair of shoes (properly fitted), take it slow, and run mid-step.

Good luck!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    zombie5k app ftw!
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic start to running. I did it last year. If you feel that the first week is too easy, skip ahead. And don't be afraid to repeat weeks. I used Robert Ullrey's podcast for the transitions and music.

http://www.c25k.com/

Good luck!
  • GreatGrandmaButt
    Options
    I did it last year, it's great!

My advice is to just stick with it, and have faith in yourself. Try your best not to skip a day of working out, which is done most easily by setting a schedule and sticking to it (I did MWF). Don't get discouraged if you have to repeat a week. If you get to the end of a week and can't complete the workout (be honest with yourself), just repeat that week's exercises. Nine weeks is much sooner than your goal time, so by October you can probably get your 5k time way below 30 minutes!

If you're looking for more support, the community at www.reddit.com/r/c25k is great. They're very helpful, and a great resource for anything/everything related to the program. With their help, I was able to complete the program before the end of week 7!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I'm on week 7 now. I was never a runner previous to this, and I can highly recommend the program to anyone who would like to begin. Great program.
  • jmg695
    Options
    I did it! It's a great program to help stay motivated (small steps to success). It took me 12-13 weeks to complete the program (I repeated a couple weeks because I didn't feel strong enough to move on to the next week, but I remember feeling such a sense of accomplishment when I ran for 8-minutes straight! Every week you get better...and it's SO manageable.

If you're looking to do a race in October, you'll be GREAT by then!! Good luck!!
  • Jengary1993
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!! I will definitely check the website for support as well. I thought maybe I'd focus on weight training on the days I'm not running. I'm accustomed to working out 6 days a week---so it will be hard for me to have days of complete rest!
  • ameline7
    Options
    I really like the podruner podcast for running, it is a very similar program, and a great option for people who don't have a smartphone esque device. It uses techno music and chimes to let you know when to walk and run. Good luck!!
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    I just started my first 30 day bootcamp but thos was next on the list! Thanks for the website info. I plan to do thos 100+ pound weight loss with zero equipment amd zero cost!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    zombie5k app ftw!

I've heard about that app! I want to try it! Zombies chase you, right?

I have done the couch to 5k and LOVED it. It took me about 7 weeks to work up to 30 minutes. It's great!
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner before and I just started week 8 with a 2.75 mile run today(2.83 actually because I wanted to run to the 5K finish) and it took me 29 minutes to run the 2.83 miles. When I started I could not run for more than 30 seconds. The program is awesome!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Yes! I used it, and I am currently working on a 1/2 marathon
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup, when I (first) started running 3 years ago I used it and it worked just fine :) As peeps above have said follow the plan and don't be afraid to repeat a week if it's hard (or jump a week if it's too easy).