Color me confused

Options
I really don't understand how many calories I should be eating. My BMR is 1729 and my TDEE is 2075. MFP has my calories set at 1330 per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I'm not sure whether or not to eat back exercise calories or not? I'm confused. Please help me =D

Replies

• pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP's goals are set so that you eat back your exercise calories.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP's goals are set so that you eat back your exercise calories.

Thank you. So if I don't do exercise that day just don't more than 1330 calories?
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If 1.5 pounds per week goal puts you under your bmr you should reset for half or one pound per week.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hey, so if you are following Dan's Roadmap then you should be eating 10-20% less than 2075 calories a day and you should not eat back your workouts.
    The default MFP plan is based on the same science asthe above plan but it works differently. They have already calculated your activity level and such and they give you that 1330 goal expecting you to work out and eat back your work out calories.

You have to choose either/or.

I choose the MFP plan because I am fairly active for 3-4 days and completely inactive for the three days I am at work ( I work morning to night, 13 hours). So it works with my random schedule. If you have a more regular schedule, or you are going to be doing more weights than cardio, the Road Map is better since MFP doesnt give you much calorie credit for weight lifting. Did that help at all?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how many calories I should be eating. My BMR is 1729 and my TDEE is 2075. MFP has my calories set at 1330 per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I'm not sure whether or not to eat back exercise calories or not? I'm confused. Please help me =D

MFP does not use the same formula as figuring TDEE. It does not account for exercise.
    IF you follow MFP, you are supposed to "eat back" those exercise calories.

If you figure your TDEE and create a deficit from that on your own, you don't since exercise is built into the TDEE equation.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Hey, so if you are following Dan's Roadmap then you should be eating 10-20% less than 2075 calories a day and you should not eat back your workouts.
    The default MFP plan is based on the same science asthe above plan but it works differently. They have already calculated your activity level and such and they give you that 1330 goal expecting you to work out and eat back your work out calories.

You have to choose either/or.

I choose the MFP plan because I am fairly active for 3-4 days and completely inactive for the three days I am at work ( I work morning to night, 13 hours). So it works with my random schedule. If you have a more regular schedule, or you are going to be doing more weights than cardio, the Road Map is better since MFP doesnt give you much calorie credit for weight lifting. Did that help at all?

Yes, thank you..
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    When I did mine I restricted my calories by 20% from my total calorie intake to maintain. MFP set mine at 1300 too, and I was just way too hungry with that limited amount of calories. My weight loss is slower, but something I can maintain.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options

MFP does not use the same formula as figuring TDEE. It does not account for exercise.
    IF you follow MFP, you are supposed to "eat back" those exercise calories.

One caveat to that is that if you have taken your regular exercise into account in setting your MFP "activity level", then you should only eat back calories for exercise in addition to that activity.

Your TDEE = your MFP calorie target + your exercise calories + the calorie deficit needed to reach your weight loss goal.
  • ashleyShades
    Options

One caveat to that is that if you have taken your regular exercise into account in setting your MFP "activity level", then you should only eat back calories for exercise in addition to that activity.

Your TDEE = your MFP calorie target + your exercise calories + the calorie deficit needed to reach your weight loss goal.

Ohhhhh... lol thank you