prepackaged meals (i.e.lean cuisine, smart ones)

Options
I really like to have the prepackaged meals like the smart ones, lean cuisine and etc for breakfast and lunch. Simply because its an easy go to food that can be ready in minutes. I'm a mom of 5 and getting them fed is extremely hectic. I was just wondernig what peoples opinions are on these. I've heard many mixed reviews.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I would not use them to replace multiple meals on a consistent basis. They are very highly processed and not a lot of food for the calories. That said, I do keep some on hand for "emergencies" and will bulk them up with lots of fresh vegetables. However, I only eat 1-2 a month because it is just as easy to make something fresh.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them every day. But when you're so tired and beat, it's good to have on hand. But I wouldn't use them all the time for meal replacement. Your body needs more than that to go on. And I agree with bulking them up with veggies.
  • rluedtke
    Options
    I never eat them. They are too processed and their sodium content is crazy high.

Is it not possible to make healthy things for your kids that will work for you, or even that you could add spinach to?
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    They're total ****. High sodium levels, small portions, and they don't even taste great. Why don't you spend an afternoon (Sunday, maybe) and prep some things for the week. You can make a big batch of soup/chili, marinara/meat gravy for pasta, prepare some vegetables and meats, etc. Separate those things into tupperware, freeze some of the soup/chili and sauce, and you'll have food on hand throughout the week.

Another tip is burritos - buy burrito ingredients and make them all ahead of time. Just make them, wrap tightly in foil and stick them in the freezer. Whenever you want one, pull one out and microwave it for a couple minutes. You can do this for regular burritos and breakfast burritos.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eating two a day is really probably too much sodium. I think if you kept it to 5 or less total per week, you would be fine.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    They're total ****. High sodium levels, small portions, and they don't even taste great. Why don't you spend an afternoon (Sunday, maybe) and prep some things for the week. You can make a big batch of soup/chili, marinara/meat gravy for pasta, prepare some vegetables and meats, etc. Separate those things into tupperware, freeze some of the soup/chili and sauce, and you'll have food on hand throughout the week.

Another tip is burritos - buy burrito ingredients and make them all ahead of time. Just make them, wrap tightly in foil and stick them in the freezer. Whenever you want one, pull one out and microwave it for a couple minutes. You can do this for regular burritos and breakfast burritos.

I have been doing this for a while now. It is really helpful!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    one or two a week is ok, but not every day. The sodium in one meal is equal to what you are supposed to be having in a whole day.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't be a staple, IMO. They aren't always the healthiest, like some are made withwhite pasta or rice and not a lot of veggies, and they're high sodium. Instead, try pre slicing a bunch of veggies and some chicken to make a salad, or find single serving fish filets that can go in the microwave. My go to quick meal is a salmon filet and salad or carrot chips. Done in less than 5 minutes!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    And, if you're playing short order cook, maybe it's time to stop. If one wants chicken, but 2 want pasta, and another wants a sandwich, I'm sure it's hard. But, in my house, we had one dinner for everyone, and I think I'll do that if I have kids. Maybe offer a really picky eater a sandwich or something easy, but don't let making 5 things for everyone else get in the way of feeding yourself something healthful. Also, if your kids' meals are too unhealthy for you to eat, maybe you should evaluate what you're serving them very day. I am nanny to a very picky eater, so I get that it must be hard, sometimes I prefer not to eat what she eats because of health. But, there should be some things that are decently healthy that please most, if not all.
  • talrash7
    Options
    I would avoid them they are very high on sodium and you can replace them by packaging homemade meals in the freezer and you can just heat and eat one day cook for a week and freeze at least you know whats in your food, healthier and better for you
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

^^ All of this.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat them probably 2-3 times per week as my lunch at work, but I usually supplement them with other things such as fruit or string cheese. They aren't ideal, but it's nice to have something easy to throw in my lunch during the week when I don't have leftovers. I figure it's still better than what I would get if I had to go out and buy my lunch on a regular basis. As others have said, I wouldn't probably recommend eating them twice a day on a regular basis. Good luck!
  • ejenkins0812
    Options
    I am on a 1370 cal/day diet and I work out every morning. I eat lean cuisine for dinner I want to say about 5 out of 7 days. I have lost 9 lbs in the last two weeks and feel just fine. I don't feel sluggish or hungry and am drinking a TON of water. I like the lean cuisine meals and I can buy two weeks worth of them for $20 dollars. I understand everyone else's concerns and comments about them and the sodium levels are pretty high, but overall I like them. If a major concern is the high sodium, just buy the "low-sodium" ones. But if you have time, pre-cooking your meals and freezing them may work better for you.
  • ejenkins0812
    Options
    You could also just try sweating out all the extra sodium you eat by working out or going to the sauna. and drink more COLD water.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 4 plus a husband and we don't eat prepackaged foods. Too many chemicals ad preservatives. It's not that hard to come up with quick healthy dinners. My steamer lives on my stove to keep it handy and ready for use. It can steam 2-3 vegetables, you can chop those up just before bed and toss in for your meal the next day. Then all you have to sort is the main meat or whatever you're planning.

A stir fry can be done in a healthy way are super fast. A big pot of chili filled with veggies, open face cheese burgers with baked fries and veggies on side. I could go on and they are all fresh made and you know the exact ingredients in the food.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1370 cal/day diet and I work out every morning. I eat lean cuisine for dinner I want to say about 5 out of 7 days. I have lost 9 lbs in the last two weeks and feel just fine. I don't feel sluggish or hungry and am drinking a TON of water. I like the lean cuisine meals and I can buy two weeks worth of them for $20 dollars. I understand everyone else's concerns and comments about them and the sodium levels are pretty high, but overall I like them. If a major concern is the high sodium, just buy the "low-sodium" ones. But if you have time, pre-cooking your meals and freezing them may work better for you.

I do the same exact thing. I am single and enjoy eating a big variety of food...otherwise, I would get bored. I tried the cooking in advance route and I'd rather be playing outside! I add a salad to my lunch and extra veggies to my dinner. According to MFP, I am under my sodium level every day. On the weekends, I usually cook all my meals.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I don't like prepackaged foods; I can cram a lot more goodness in when I cook myself. I make big meals when I have time, and freeze portions so they're ready when I am. Much cheaper, much more healthy, and much more delicious!
    Here are some ideas:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/best-freezable-recipes-00412000070172/
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'd be satisfied if I never learned to cook and just ate Healthy Choice all the time. Then an hour later I realize I'm hungry again. I like them, but they just don't fill me up like my homemade rice cooker chili would. Just cook a big batch of rice, tomatoes, beans, meat, veggies, and whatever else and portion into tupperwares.

I also don't mind the sodium. I need to eat a high sodium diet or else my blood pressure will drop to dangerous levels and cause me to be faint all the time. I learned that lesson when I first started MFP.