Running / Workout Shoes?? Suggestions??

Options
This is probably going to be a super silly question... but.....

I have recently begun running, but I also really enjoy doing elliptical and cross training exercises. I am finding it hard to get a running shoe that also works for the cross training. When I wear running shoes on the elliptical it hurts my feet. I usually don't plan a workout ahead of time - I like doing what I feel good about that day so I don't really want to carry 2 pairs to the gym. Well and we all know this kind of stuff can get expensive - So I want to ask for suggestions first....

Does anyone recommend a really good athletic shoe they like for both running and cross training?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you've been fitted for a good pair of running shoes they should be fine on the elliptical or treadmill.
  • Mulikme
    Mulikme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and was fitted for a pair of shoes. I ended up with Brooks Ghost 5. I run in them and use the eliptical. No breaking in period necessary and they make a world of difference. They recommend trying on shoes in the evening after you've been on your feet all day.
  • loizlane
    loizlane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vibram FiveFingers... basically feels like you're running barefoot. Takes a little getting used to, but worth it. I've significantly improved my pace since wearing these while pounding the pavement. Or, your best bet would be to get fitted for a pair of running shoes- you'll be able to tell the difference for sure :)
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you've been fitted for a good pair of running shoes they should be fine on the elliptical or treadmill.

^^ This.

Please get fitted properly. It's free, and your feet will feel awesome in the proper shoes.
  • Lostone31
    Options
    Anything that is not a thick heel. It only makes you want to heel strike. I am a huge advocate of not heel striking due to all the injuries it can cause from the shin all the way up to the neck.

Once had shin splints that hit hard 1.5 miles from my destination.... had to walk back 1.5 miles extremely slow. Learned how to properly run and that never happened again.
  • zolamercedes
    zolamercedes Posts: 46 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Please get fitted properly. It's free, and your feet will feel awesome in the proper shoes.

GET FITTED!! I just went last week, walked into the store, the guy just looked at my feet while still in the shoe and knew what I needed. He brought three for me to try out, I CRIED as soon as I put the first pair on. I have never been so comfertable in a shoe before, I've been suffering buying $40 sneakers. Walked out with two different pairs, I'm set for a few years. GET FITTED!!