What Made You Really Start?

Options

Replies

• butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The finally break up with a man. That I was dating for three years on and off. He said some very mean things about my weight. So I vowed to stick it too him. He will never see my end results. Because I deserve better then that kind of man. Good luck and Bless you all on your journey. Smiles and Peace
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What made me start losing weight was pretty straight-forward. The doctor told me she wouldn't give me medication to treat fertility until I lost 50 pounds (for my health). Now I've lost over 60 pounds and I still want to lose 50 more before I conceive now. It's amazing how good I feel!
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My then 3 year old daughter told me I was "walking like Grandma" one night as I got up off the couch. And y'all know, kids that age don't lie. It was the truth and it smacked me right in the face. Bought 30DS on vudu that same night and started right then and there.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    An ill-fated trip to Seattle in mid- November where I had to walk about a mile and a half from the ferry to a theater and I had to stop no less than 12 times along the route to sit because I was tired, out of breath and my back hurt (and I was so desperate I sat in WET chairs). I realized at that point something had to change.

Pleased to report on February 2nd I went to Seattle once again and walked about the same distance - WITHOUT stopping, WITHOUT my back hurting and feeling like I could GO ON if I wanted to (however I'd reached my destination and there was no where else to go lol).

I wonder if someday I won't be able to run that distance. :) That keeps me motivated.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My husband calling me fat in a fight out of anger. I knew he didn't mean it, but I knew he said it because he knew it would hurt me because I felt that way about myself.

Then a few months later I started having some medical issues (not weight related) and I said to myself that I needed to get as healthy as I could so that they could figure out what's wrong with me. 1.5yr later and we still aren't exactly sure, but I can safety say that it's not anything that I can prevent.
  • gilberts3
    Options
    I saw a picture of my great grandmother she was over 500 lbs and my mom said I going to be like her I said i may look like her but I wont be like her and easier time to find close and to be healthy
  • samygirl928
    samygirl928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What made me start was learning that I had a couple of medical conditions and that I needed to lose weight.
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I remember having PROMISED myself that I would not begin my 30s STILL struggling with my weight...and then I turned 30 and was still holding the SAME 50 pounds that I had been swearing I would lose. I waited until Thanksgiving passed and began this journey. I am TIRED of being out of shape and uncomfortable in my summer clothes
  • phoenixrizez
    Options
    I also had trouble sleeping at night and that has motivated me to lose the weight too...
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I want to be hot. And strong. I love getting compliments and don't get them often so I'm working to change that.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at 42 after ten years of managing lupus was my wake up call. The double whammy meant I literally had no choice. I walked into my endocrinologists office at 102kg (225lbs) on 19 June 2012 and by 19 Feb 2013 (8 months later) I am 66.5 kg (146 lbs). My endocrinologist is pretty happy - and so is my husband!! LOL
  • phoenixrizez
    Options
    My husband calling me fat in a fight out of anger. I knew he didn't mean it, but I knew he said it because he knew it would hurt me because I felt that way about myself.

Then a few months later I started having some medical issues (not weight related) and I said to myself that I needed to get as healthy as I could so that they could figure out what's wrong with me. 1.5yr later and we still aren't exactly sure, but I can safety say that it's not anything that I can prevent.

I asked my husband repeatedly and finally he honestly told me that I "could lose some weight" it was both crushing and motivational. He wasn't trying to be hurtful either but he did tell the truth. It IS time for me to lose weight. That wasn't the OFFICIAL start but it got me thinking about what I needed to do! Good luck to you! :wink:
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I have a medical condition that nearly killed me once, indirectly nearly killed me a second time and caused me to live in constant pain. I switched doctors and talked about non-narcotic ways to deal with my constant pain and the doctor said I should lose weight, as that could directly be causing the pain. So complete diet overhaul with a dietician to work with what I've got combined with exercise, then finally I joined MFP and combined them all and formed a weight loss plan.

I'm down 21 lbs since the first of the year, and my constant pain is all but gone and I get pain maybe 3-4 days a month, depending on how my diet is working and if I try a new food that doesn't agree with my GI issues

Plus I want to look good naked
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    A picture was all it took. To say I was disgusted with myself is putting it mildly. I quickly told myself "enough," and it was.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to see all these skinny with more than one kid.i have twlo kids and im struggling to play wirh them due to my weight. I dont want that no more.on feb.12 i told myself i had enough its been a week and lost 3 pounds already.im so proud im doing this for me and my kids
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are all inspiring, touching, adorable, and I'm proud of us all!!!

My weight loss journey began with photos too. I had gone on a research trip to Italy with school colleagues, and when I started looking through people's photos, I wondered who that woman was who was in all our photos. I then figured out by the clothes IT WAS ME! I guess I hadn't been paying attention ... and the mirror doesn't tell the truth, does it?

Anyway, I got on board right away and knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I got the "fire in my belly" and if it wanes, I look at those photos again. Knowing I don't look like them anymore (I'm 26 pounds lighter) fires me up even more to persevere.

Mind you, I've been known to eat very weird and yucky snacks to not go over my calorie limit ... raw mushrooms with soy sauce, raw spinach with paprika, black chicory drinks, 10 raisins ... haha .... anything to feel full without cheating on my daily allowance.

Good luck, everyone.
  • BearHugger78
    Options
    Wow, some pretty emotional stories here. Good on all of you!

For me it was a confluence of a few rather mundane causes that added up to a kick in the butt: I'm looking to switch jobs and can't fit into my suits (or any of my good dress clothes for that matter); my sister kept bugging me about doing the Great Saunter around Manhattan with her this May; grams bought me a shirt for Christmas that was too small and when she offered to take it back I told her I would wear it the next time I saw her; I finally admitted to myself that being 34, never married, and single was making me depressed and figured my appearance wasn't doing me any favors; I want to be a normal size for my brother's wedding (whenever that happens); I stepped on the scale and was disgusted by the number.
  • Damzk
    Damzk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started because I was checking my pulse one day on a whim and found out it was 80 which was way too high and made me worry but what really keeps me going is my comrade, my work out partner, she has really been motivational for me to keep working out and trying to look the best I can and be the healthiest I can be.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was ready for a change. I had been a few weeks into medication to help my anxiety and BAM. Motivation for a new healthy life flooded over me. Quit smoking, quit drinking (I hardly drank anyways but decided I'd prefer food calories over booze calories), and decided to make changes. One of the best decisions I have made and my older two boys tell me how proud they are of me that I quit smoking, and that helps me stay motivated. I like making them proud. They also cheer for me when I tell them I lost more weight. The healthier I am the longer I'll be around for them, so I guess that is the true reason on why I started this journey.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit made fun of me

LOL! The same thing happened to me! My 6 yr old neice was at my house one day & when I got on the Wii Fit it said 'You're Obese" in that cheery little voice & my niece said "She said you're a beast!!!!" Funny now perhaps, not so much at the time. lol