What Made You Really Start?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    I started at age 19 at just over 124lbs. Was tired of being skinny and made fun of, so I hit the weights and food and put on some muscle. Up to now, I've still retained basically the same physique that I had at age 23.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I started because being fat depresses me and having a beautiful face and not the nice body to go with it bothered me! And the fact i was almost 29 and i know the older u get the harder it is so before Christmas of 2012 i started my life style change and i didnt care if it was freezing out side i walked and i didnt care about all the baking and cookies i ate right and now 2 months into this i have lost 40 pounds! Im so happy i didnt wait until the new year i may of changed my mind:)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Three things:

- Refusing to buy clothes bigger than size 16 UK
    - Refusing to conceive of myself as weighing 200 lbs
    - My hubby moving away for work for 3 months. Gave me more free time to find something to do with, more control over my own diet, and also missing him made me realise I'd become very complacent.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Simply...I hated the life I had created.

I had a husband that loved me, but given that I was 370 pounds, we couldn't do things together anymore. My children played around me but, I couldn't play with them. I saw photos of myself and it would send me spiraling into a depression.

No matter what past afflictions that had gotten me there...abuse, broken family relationships, it didn't matter. I had to take control. I was watching my entire life pass me by and I wasn't enjoying any of it.

It has been a long journey, learning about myself, my triggers and my coping mechanisms....but, I am happy to say, it's all been worth it.

My husband has stood by my side, through all of it and even went to counseling with me to make sure that my weigh loss was a happy journey for the both of us (the divorce rate among mass weight-loss couples is staggering).

Now, my children can wrap their arms ALL the way around my body. I can sit in any darn seat in a restaurant that I want. I can out-run my husband (even though I still have about 60 pounds to go!). Now...I GET TO LIVE, and that is priceless. Never again...I will never, ever go back.

I love each and every one of your stories here...they are so inspiring!! WTG PEOPLE! :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I started at age 19 at just over 124lbs. Was tired of being skinny and made fun of, so I hit the weights and food and put on some muscle. Up to now, I've still retained basically the same physique that I had at age 23.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Show off :-)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You'd think it was the doctor telling me I was diabetic & needed meds, right ????

But really It was a picture taken on Valentine's day 5 years ago .......

001_1.jpg

Now I look like this .......

MA5-1-12.png

Much better, I think ..... and no more meds !
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I should probably add on to my previous statement, what made me start the first time (where I lost ~40 lbs and kept around 25 off) was being my brother's "best man" at his wedding in 2010 and leaving the reception after the speeches so I wouldn't ruin the rest of his wedding pictures. Lowest point, I still feel bad about this. :frown:
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i volunteer at a camp and this girl was always made fun of for being fat... she was bullied all the time and one day i took her off to the side to talk to her and was talking to her about self esteem and stuff like that and i know she didnt mean it to be mean but she said what do u do to get people to stop talking about u being fat... i was like wtfff lol no seriously it took me back alittle... i was overweight and i knew it but i didnt realize that other people saw it... so i went home and walked up the stairs and was out of breath and my roommate was looking at me like whats wrong... and i asked him if i was fat... and he told me im telling u this because i love you but u r overweight and im willing to help u with anything u need... and offered to help me...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Someone told me I couldn't do it. That lit a fire in me that still burns to this day.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i dont really have a reason why tbh but take one day at a time a if you are good one day and then another it tends for me to turn into a snowball effect! and before you know it it's a week/month and youve lost weight with it! bonus! :drinker:
    also find a exersice you like...it's no good just doing it you must like to do it!
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i started working retail (Maurices to be exact) my senior year in high school. i have always been the bigger girl, mainly because I'm 6'1'', but i also wore a size XL (or 0-1 in the plus size section). i just got tired of being the "tall, fat girl" at work. to add to it, i would come home and vent to my mom and older sisters about work and my weight and one night i overheard them talking and saying that they were tired of hearing me complain, that i wouldn't ever do anything about my weight anyways so why don't i just learn to live with it? that really set the fire under me. been working out every day ever since! can't wait to show off my bikini body to my coworkers and doubting family (:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It was a night not unlike tonight. I had just finished reading the whole internet and was waiting for them to print more of it. And I felt really pathetic and fat and weak. So I spent the next day or two reading and maybe about a week or so of planning... went grocery shopping for some good food, purchased some workout equipment, and the rest, as they say, was history.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My sore knees. I was slim till I turned 50 and after that though I had gained 20 lbs or so, I didn't much care. I was no heavier than my friends and I wasn't planning to do the bikini thing again anyway. Then my knees started bothering me. And I am a recreational walker. Most of my social life revolves around my walking group, my hiking club, and holidays spent on foot.

That was my wake up call. I am now 20 lbs lighter. Because as you get older a little extra weight can make your face look better, I am not sure if cosmetically my weight loss has resulted in an improvement. But my knees feel great and I'll be doing the Sun Run with my friends come April and that's what counts.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i'd went through fad diets since i was 16, but i was never 100 percent serious and committed...then i went through a very difficult and nasty break up. at first, i needed to do something to take my mind off of the drama involving my personal life basically falling to pieces. then, i decided that i wanted to feel better about myself so that i never let someone treat me badly again- i knew that i had to treat myself the right way to expect as much from others. so glad!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I wondered what was cutting into my back when I was sitting down. After seeing a pic of myself at the beach, I found out what it was.

My spine. MFP was kind of a big help for rectifying that.
  • thelastcenturion
    thelastcenturion Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    December 31, 2012. That's the date a picture was taken of me at a party at my heaviest. It was absolutely, horrifically frightening seeing how far I let myself go. After that day I spent probably a week planning and getting everything I needed to start my journey. And from there, as they say, everything was history. I still keep the picture as a widget on my phone to remind myself to either eat healthier or get off my butt and workout. It serves as my constant reminder of how far down I fell and to never let myself get to that point ever again.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    A photo my husband took of me without me knowing. 1 yr later and I'm below my goal weight (actually got there in 7 months) and fitter than ever.

Went to the same place the photo was taken last week.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    To make myself look better than the *****es I went to school with (that was about 3 years ago! Now I've grown up I dont care about them and am doing it for me!!)
  • diana_dee
    Options
    I was on a diet, on and off for the last 7 years. I was always chubby and self-conscious about my weight, even as a child even though I never had an "overweight" BMI. I developed a food obsession/eating disorder while doing all these crush diets.

I have 100 motives to lose weight...here's what made me to REALLY START.

I'm planning to have a child next year and I really want to be a healthy mum, a good role model. I need to get over this weight/food issue.
    I'm getting married in July (who doesn't want to lose weight for their wedding? :-) ) and looking forward to my honeymoon, 2 weeks on a beach...in a bikini ( terrifies me right now but I'll look great by then! ).
    I really, really want to be healthy and fit.
  • klahorse
    klahorse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took part in a Santa race, where everyone had to dress in a one size fits all santa costume, and the costume didn't fit round my waist. I thought gosh if i'm too fat to be santa, i really must be too fat!