MFP net calories query - help needed!?

Options
I don't know why it's only clicked now, but on the MFP app, there's goal, food, exercise and net calories. In terms of how many calories I'm consuming, should net calories represent my daily goal? i.e. if my daily goal is 1500 and I burn 500 exercising, then should I be taking in 2000 calories in total? Or should OK only be taking in 1500 calories regardless of any exercise?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's up for debate. Some people swear by eating every exercise calorie back, some eat a portion and some eat none. There's an argument for all three ideas.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, the way MFP is set up, you should be eating 2000 calories on your 500-calorie exercise days. If you choose not to, nobody can force you, but that's the way it's supposed to work.
  • opaljade15
    Options
    I only ask because I noticed yesterday that my net calories were less than 1200, and I know anything less than that can lead to your body going into starvation mode. So, for instance, some days I do quite intense workouts, where I burn about 500 calories, but as my general daily goal is set at 1500, my net calories works out to only be 1000ish, even though I'm eating 1500 calories. Is this fine? Or should I be upping calorie intake on intense workout days to avoid going into starvation mode?
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, you'll get a ton of opinions either way. Find what works for you. If you're content with losing on the plan MFP is setting up for you of X lbs lost per week, then eat back your calories and be as close to 0 daily.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    if you're worried about putting your body into starvation mode, burning off the calories that you take it will not do that. as soon as you take food into your mouth, your body is taking nutrients from the food. when you work out you burn off calories and fat storage, you cant burn off or work off any of the nutrients that your body has already taken in, so you won't put your body into starvation mode (:
  • opaljade15
    Options
    if you're worried about putting your body into starvation mode, burning off the calories that you take it will not do that. as soon as you take food into your mouth, your body is taking nutrients from the food. when you work out you burn off calories and fat storage, you cant burn off or work off any of the nutrients that your body has already taken in, so you won't put your body into starvation mode (:

Thanks! That makes sense! :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I just noticed this myself and saw that my NET was actually under 1000 cal most of this month and I haven't lost a pound. I checked last month and they were higher and was losing weekly.

I think I am going to pay more attention to my NET calories then daily calories.. I want to make sure I am eating enough before my body goes into "preservation mode".
  • opaljade15
    Options
    I just noticed this myself and saw that my NET was actually under 1000 cal most of this month and I haven't lost a pound. I checked last month and they were higher and was losing weekly.

I think I am going to pay more attention to my NET calories then daily calories.. I want to make sure I am eating enough before my body goes into "preservation mode".

Ah see, this is what I was worried about! Coz I haven't weighed myself, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm losing anything... but I'd have to say not. I'm just not sure how to up my calorie intake without eating too many 'bad things'... coz I eat so much already, but it's all like veggies and such. This is not as easy as I'd like... :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I bought some KIND bars which are loaded with nuts and vitamins.. I also started eating some almonds, peanuts etcs.. a little bit adds some calories to my much needed deficit.