Squats

Options
I have been doing squats but just the ones where you stand and act like your sitting back in a chair. I'm not really seeing that huge of a difference. 1.) I feel it more in my quads than anything and 2.) shouldn't I feel it more in my hamstrings?
When I see pictures of people "squatting" they always have the weight bar, is that the better squat? I was thinking about asking one of the trainers at my gym to show me the proper way to do it since I have back issues but I was hoping what I was doing would be the good start? Is it just something that takes a crazy amount of time to see results?

Replies

• 32thirtytwo
    Options
    Absolutely ask one of the trainers at your gym for some pointers on squats. Getting the proper form down is extremely important so you don't cause yourself any more pain. There has to be a video or two on Youtube of proper squat techniques and then head over to the squat racks at the gym and just try a few with the bar first. Or even at home, try some with whatever weight you can get a hold of. Squats are a great exercise because they work multiple groups of muscles at the same time (quads, hamstrings and glutes.) I do them every workout and the amount of weight I can squat has increased every week since I started back up again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what thirty two said...

I would also get into deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, chin ups/pull ups...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My recommendation? You should be able to wiggle your toes when you squat down. Bear the weight in your heel.

ETA Definitely ask the trainer for a demo and assistance since I see you have back issues :-)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Do you have an office job or a job where you sit a lot ?

I read that if you don't feel the squat in your butt cheeks then it could be your glutes are in active or not firiing properly. I was told to google 'glute activation' test and exercises. Bird dog exercises and glute bridges are supposed to help, would like to hear recommendations for others??
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would also get into deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, chin ups/pull ups...

seconded
  • 32thirtytwo
    Options
    Compound muscle exercises are my entire weight lifting workout. I don't even bother with isolation lifts.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks all ;)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My recommendation? You should be able to wiggle your toes when you squat down. Bear the weight in your heel.

ETA Definitely ask the trainer for a demo and assistance since I see you have back issues :-)

This. The weight of your body should be on your heels and the outside of your foot - this will get your hamstrings and glutes involved when you stand up. If all of your weight is on your toes/balls of your feet, you'll primarily be using your quads.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    with back issues def talk to a trainer. but i squat i love squats..working on this butt that i want to grow

haha but i do front squats, back squats, bulgarian squats..(of course not in same day) depending on how low you squat is where you will feel it. I mostly feel in quad area and glutes.

you have back problems so i dont essentially recommended deadlifts until you talk to trainer.

it will also make a difference for what your goal is whether you want to do ehavy weights or no
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    try doing the full squats '*kitten* to the grass' then you'll feel it in your hamstrings
  • Kisha352
    Kisha352 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just watched TH this past weekend. Best Movie Ever...