2 questions: C25K for obeseII+ and pushup progression

Options
Question 1: Is there anyone around here who started out Morbidly obese or Obese II (so basically 35+ BMI) that started doing C25K at this time, and when were you able to complete (run mostly) a 5k. Just looking for some ballparks, because I'm thinking of training for a 5K this summer.

Question 2: One of my goals is to be able to do an actual pushup (or more than one) - Right now I've been doing 60 degree wall pushups. What are some possible progressions in order of difficulty that I can use. I can google them if you can name them. Is it just the NRoLfW progression of 60, 45, 30, floor? are there other options that may or may not be better?

Thanks

Replies

• eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump? :)
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can answer the first question. I started c25k training last year in March and entered my first 5K in July. I finished with a time of 43 minutes and ran most of it. My second 5K I did in November and finished in 36 minutes. My body fat when I started was 42% and I'm not sure I'm under 35% even now. I'd have to double check that.

If you think you can do this, you can. Take it slow, listen to your body and remember there's no shame in having to take a walk break during. Best of luck!
  • vanessayoungss
    Options
    I can answer the first one for you.

I started C25K 6 weeks ago. I started at 258lbs. I've never ran , i tried a few years ago but stopped at week 3. Yesterday weighing 245 lbs I ran C25K week 5 day 3 - a 20 min nonstop run. I did it! I've done everyone one. I now have a BMI on 38.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's a blog I wrote about a very, very gradual progression to 10 full push-ups. The second last with legs apart made all the difference to getting to the final stage for me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started my training at the beginning of the year and my bmi was 35%. I can now run an entire 5k (don't have a race until March), but on the treadmill I can do it in just under 30min. I worked my butt off but I also followed the program pretty close and did other exercises on the days in between runs. You will not regret doing this program, I promise!

When it comes to push-ups I downloaded an iphone/ipad app that helps you get to 100 push-ups. You start out doing "counter" push-ups, then Knee push-ups and then normal push-ups. you progress by getting up to 100 counter push-ups before you go to knee push-ups. I am still doing counter pushups now but I have found it helpful and can do much more now than I would have been able to when I started (I'm around 60 counter push ups). This isn't 60 straight pushups... they break it down a few different sets (i.e. to do 60 I did 5 sets of 12 pushups).

Hope that helps.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    On the topic of push ups, I work on boats, so I have to improvise when I can't get to the gym. You can go from wall push ups to counter top/dresser/back of couch, what ever is stable. Then of course when you are ready to go to the floor, do knee bent. I'm pretty strong, but carry most of my weight below the belt, so I've only been able to do regular push ups a couple times in my life. I hope the was close to what you were asking.
  • Natashadb
    Options
    Take it slow and you will be able to do it in no time!

I run 5k 3 times a week and I am running my first 7.5 km race in May. I weigh 218 lbs and that is not holding me back at all!

And for the push ups, the more you do the easier it gets, I HATE them, but I can do about 10 on my knees now.

Good luck and feel free to add me so we can encourage each other :-)
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I went from the wall pushup to the "girl" pushup where you're on your knees instead of in a plank type position on the floor ... I'm still half and half... I can do maybe 5 or 10 "real" pushups and if I want to do more I go into "girl" mode LOL Hope that helps!

I have 39 BMI and haven't started C25K yet because of a car accident ...doctor is just now letting me do walking and 30 sec planks ... (I sometimes sneak some pushups in) ...but I plan to start the program when I'm clear ..I'm also considering 30 day shred before C25K (I know off topic sorry)...

In any case good luck to you!!!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I started with wall push ups then went to "girl" or "modified" push ups (push up position but with knees on the floor)...this was the best thing for me when progressing to real pushups. Even if you can only do a couple of the modified version it is the closest to a real push up. After you can do a couple sets of modfied ones, try doing just one real one in between...then two...then three and so on.
    7631282 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am also obese and I'm not on Week 7. It can be done, I repeated when necessary, especially in the first few weeks. But I am so please with this app. Between "MFP" and the C25K, I have lost 25 pounds in about seven weeks.

I did install the app for the push up trainer put out by c25k, but haven't taken it any further. I'm a wimp on push ups. I'm going to look at it a little while longer (LOL).
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. I am going to work on both as soon as I'm feeling better (hopefully tomorrow, baby gave me his cold and it comes with a headache that feels like your head is being smashed by a hammer). Wall pushups are pretty easy for me at this point, so I'm going to try to progress, and I'm going to start the C25K on my cardio days.