Why don't I have motivation?

Options
Ok, So I am posting because I need to get motivated. I am getting married in September and since my move in November I've gain almost 10 pounds. Which now makes that 40 pounds to lose. I have Six months to lose so that's roughly 6 pounds a month. I am starting the 30 Day Shred today. Also I am wanting to do a 10 day juice cleanse my friend recommended. But I can't seem to get motivated. What always gets you motivated? You would think my wedding is enough along with the dress.. I am surprised.

Replies

• jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know if mine is motivation or a change of mind. This is not a short term change in my life. I am changing forever. I enjoy the small victories that add up to the big ones. Maybe if you stop thinking of this as a diet and a start to a healthy life that will help.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There is no key to motivation - you simply have to want that end result more than you want whatever is making you put on weight.

I am getting married next year, but it wasn't that that spurred me on, it was actually when I started to suffer back issues. I've never been in that much pain in my life, and I never want to feel like that again. My doctor said losing weight would help, so here I am.

Just pick yourself up and do it, start exercising, start logging your food, and see the results. I'm pretty sure that the biggest motivation for losing weight is losing weight.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Ok, So I am posting because I need to get motivated. I am getting married in September and since my move in November I've gain almost 10 pounds. Which now makes that 40 pounds to lose. I have Six months to lose so that's roughly 6 pounds a month. I am starting the 30 Day Shred today. Also I am wanting to do a 10 day juice cleanse my friend recommended. But I can't seem to get motivated. What always gets you motivated? You would think my wedding is enough along with the dress.. I am surprised.

You don't want it bad enough,
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    A wedding, a graduation, vacation, reunions, etc. Everyone wants to look great for these occasions, I get that. But you'll have better success if you trim your weight and get yourself healthy simply because you want to feel great all the time! I remind myself that I want to feel good all the time, not just on certain days like a wedding day.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You honestly have to actually want to change. I personally wouldn't recommend a juice cleanse, it won't help you in the long run to maintain that loss. Just make better eating choices, and stay within your calorie goal. I've lost 11 pounds in less than 2 months (but overall I have more to lose than you). I normally workout 3 days a week to 30 day shred, the fact that I want to become better at those exercises and it's only 20 minutes motivates me enough. Good luck, I have a bridesmaids dress to wear in September!
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here, too. I don't have a goal at the moment, nor do I have any motivation beyond knowing that I SHOULD be doing more than I am. It's a temporary funk. It's going to have to be one foot in front of the other in forward motion and eventually, I'll catch the fitness fire again.
  • mjean21
    mjean21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    LOL this is exactly what a friend said to me. I don't know why I've had this mind set. I was never like this before. Typically if I wanted it I would get it done. A life style change is in need. Thanks everyone.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you do have motivation (your wedding). What's missing is determination and commitment. You just have to do it. Decide every day that the results you want are important enough to put in the work, and put in the work. Or, accept that you're not going to get the results.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend a 10-day juice "cleanse" either. They're unnecessary (unless you have a serious medical condition, your body cleanses itself just fine), and will just make you lose a chunk of water weight. Gaining that water weight back is likely to further discourage you. Just create a moderate calorie deficit (for now, setting MFP to lose 1 lb a week would be sensible) with diet and exercise, and be consistent. You may or may not lose 40 lbs in that time, but you can definitely make a big difference to your body in 6 months.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options

You don't want it bad enough,

This. Looking awesome in a wedding dress is enough motivation for some people. It's not enough motivation for you. You need to find what motivates you. For me, it's twofold: being the athlete I always knew I could be and being a model of health and fitness for my one year old son.