Breakfast

Options
It is the most important meal of the day! If fuels you up for your day ahead!

This is what I hear and read all of the time. But, many mornings I am not hungry but I'm still told I should be eating breakfast, which means I am forcing myself to eat when I feel I don't need to.

I will do what is best for my body, but am curious how others feel about this. Do you eat breakfast even if you are not hungry?
Thanks!

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You will get lots of support on here telling you it's ok to not eat breakfast. I personally love breakfast so I eat it every day, sometimes twice. Now dinner I have no problem skipping!:smile:
  • bookgirl_72
    Options
    Yep! You eventually get used to it and it becomes second nature. Breakfast is what signals your body to start so to speak. Like a starter on the car gets the car going, breakfast gets your body going. Sorry for the stupid analogy, but it's the best thing I could think of.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is important! I'm never super hungry in the morning but I do my best to at least eat a yogurt or piece of toast before I leave the house. I could never eat a full on giant breakfast right away.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I never used to. I'm a slow waker so I'd just hold off until 11am or so.

However as I'm getting further into workouts, I'm finding myself getting hungrier earlier and earlier.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have success on intermittent fasting where they don't eat except for later in the day, and plenty of people simply don't eat breakfast. If your calories, macros and micro nutrients are right for the day, looked at over a 24 hour period, then don't worry about not eating breakfast.
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    I never eat breakfast until after my morning workout, because I'm never hungry. Even then it's small. Just a Chobani, usually.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I simply don't have the calories to spare to have a big breakfast, plus I struggle with my protein so I tend to just have a protein shake for breakfast. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but that is what works for me...
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Breakfast being the most important meal of the day is a common MYTH. It doesn't start your metabolism. It doesn't make you lose more weight.

If you are not hungry in the morning, don't eat. If you are hungry than eat something for breakfast.

As long as not eating breakfast doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day there is no need to eat it. I get sick if I force myself to eat breakfast. Some days I will eat in the mornings, some days I won't eat until after 1pm.

There are TONS of people who do intermittent fasting and have had great success and a lot of those people don't eat until well into the afternoon as their first meal.

Do what works best for you... not what someone else says is what you should be doing.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal choice. I sometimes eat breakfast, but hardly ever eat breakfast food.

I feel even more sluggish if I have a big breakfast, than if I eat nothing. A shower is enough to wake me up in the morning.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Breakfast being the most important meal of the day is a common MYTH. It doesn't start your metabolism. It doesn't make you lose more weight.

If you are not hungry in the morning, don't eat. If you are hungry than eat something for breakfast.

As long as not eating breakfast doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day there is no need to eat it. I get sick if I force myself to eat breakfast. Some days I will eat in the mornings, some days I won't eat until after 1pm.

There are TONS of people who do intermittent fasting and have had great success and a lot of those people don't eat until well into the afternoon as their first meal.

Do what works best for you... not what someone else says is what you should be doing.

^^yep

Base your meal timing on adherence, gym performance, energy levels and lifestyle preferences
  • emmah72
    emmah72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, if I do I go on to binge the rest of the day. My first food of the day is usually way past 11 am.

I usually have a glass of Hazelnut milk and a sponge finger before bed though at around 11 pm so I think that's ok.

If you aren't hungry there seems no point in forcing yourself to eat :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast if you want, don't if you don't. Will not hurt or help
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

This x 1,000!!!!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My daughter wakes up around 8 or 9. I have to take my thyroid medication on an empty stomach, and keep it empty for an hour (except for a full glass of water.) By the time I'm allowed to eat, it's generally 10am, and by that time, I figure why not just wait for lunch? So I almost never eat breakfast, or I eat "brunch" and just a snack in the afternoon if I'm starving early. The weight is coming off, so it doesn't seem to be hindering anything. :)
  • DWF65203
    Options
    It seems like I just read that breakfast being so important was a myth. I, however, started eating breakfast for the first time ever when I started MFP and it has really helped me control my snacking and portion sizes the rest of the day. As everyone else has said, do what feels right for you.