Help me trim this down.

Options
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/corn-and-poblano-lasagna-recipe/index.html

My wife and I love the flavor of this recipe, we ate it before we started to get our act together, but at 601 (put it into the recipe part of this site) calories per 1/8 of serving it is a little to unhealthy.

Seems like the huge calorie areas are the butter, corn, noodles, cream and cheese. You know pretty much everything that isnt a veggie. Is this recipe save able?

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Skip the butter and saute in pam instead

Skip the heavy cream and try fat free or low fat sour cream or greek yogurt (you can thin it with a bit of skim milk if you want - you could try just skim, but it'll likely make it too watery - I find a mix of sour cream/greek yogurt with skim works better)

use less lasagna noodles; you can use some of the zucchini sliced thinly to layer instead

use less cheese, and substitute part skim mozzarella instead
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've seen suggestions that sheets of leek can be used instead of lasagne. And garlic, onion etc. can be dry-fried over a low heat for longer (about 10 mins I think), instead of sauteeing in butter.

Or just save it for a special occasion, plan around the calories, and enjoy! :wink:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You could also try a bit less corn; maybe start with 1 cup.
  • cunnart
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will take out the butter, and in the future swap to sour cream.