Need advice

Options
I'm getting frustrated with the weightloss. I know I need to be patient... but I've been doing a LOT of running and I'm trying to follow the rules of eating back most of my exercise calories which means I'm eating close to 2k per day and sometimes that's a challenge. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and I space out my meals.

Should I not run as much? Should I not worry about eating back the exercise calories and just try to stick to 1200-1500 per day? Should I run every other day instead of every day?

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    I would say try switching it up, maybe ride the bike a few days a week or take an aerobics class...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I would say try switching it up, maybe ride the bike a few days a week or take an aerobics class...

I don't go to a gym (starving student) I just snagged an elliptical for cheap... though my apartment complex does have a pool - think that would be enough of a change?
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Maybe try NOT to eat all the calories you earn back. See if that works
  • wolfie209
    wolfie209 Posts: 11
    Options
    I do know can't do all cardio. Do something that has resistance. Maybe slow it down with some yoga or tai chi. Good on muscles and for mental as well. There's great tapes for both that should help. Good luck .:flowerforyou:
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue and as much as I wanted to deny it, the problem was what I was eating. I was not eating more than 2000 calories a day, but the things I was eating were not good enough for my body. Try eating some WHOLE grains (Sara Lee makes a great 45 calorie bread), some vegetables and fruits and make sure to put in high (lean) protein foods...I was missing protein and didn't really realize it. Good luck and keep at it. You don't want to lose too fast anyway or it will come right back.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What kind of mileage are you running and how long have you been doing it?
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    What kind of mileage are you running and how long have you been doing it?

I run for about 1 hour on an elliptical at high resistance. This usually helps me burn between 800-1200 calories depending on how much I push. I've been doing this for about two weeks, before I was only going 30-40 minutes. I thought by stepping it up I'd lose weight.
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    Options
    Try adding some strength training. Lunges, push ups, tricep dips, squats, etc. Building lean muscle helps burn fat, or something like that. There are plenty of strength training exercises you can do at your home.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You may be overestimating your calorie burn - ellipticals are notorious for that. That 800-1200 might really be 500-700, so you may be overeating your exercise calories. Get a heart rate monitor, underestimate, etc. There is a good chance that this is part of the problem. you also may be gaining muscle.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    some good advice people have said. don't belive cal count on eliptical /eat healthy /and don't eat all your exercise cals. In addition check your settings. like how active for yor bmr calcalation and how many lbs a week you want to lose. good luck
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I didn't know about the overestimation thing (I guess I'm too trusting, hahaha) so I'll cut out more calories from my daily eating (phew!) and keep eating lot's of veggies and lean meat (except tonight I'm splurging a little bit for my birthday). Also I'll pick up more strength training stuff.

Thanks to all!!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I was exercising on my elliptical MFP was saying I burned 800+ calories for a 60 min workout. Then I started wearing a HRM and I only burned half of what MFP says I burned. Be careful with those calculations. I would take what MFP says you burned and divide it by 2 and eat those calories