Gym

Options

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How long does eveyone spend in the gym and what do you do in that time?

I'm asking as at the moment I pay for 3 hours of parking in the gym car park and find that I'm running out of time.

At the moment I try and do 40 min on the treadmill, then do a circuit of weights, then i do as I much as i can on the cross-trainer which tends to be between 20- 30 min's ( unless I start on this first ) I then finish my session in the pool doing lenghts which can be another 30- 60 min's but this depends on what time I have left and I'm rushing my shower to make sure I'm not late back for my car.

Does anyone else have

I'm in and out in about an hour and a half all told.

Looks to me as if you are doing too much cardio. To save time, you could drop the treadmill and do 20-30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical after the circuit. If you feel you need that cardio, go for a run at another time.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I do about an hour of lifting 3x a week, and 15 minutes of cardio 3x a week.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Can't believe some of the numbers I'm seeing here.

Do you people seriously plan on spending 8+ hours in the gym every week of your life for the rest of your lives?
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    During the week, I will work out for about 60 minutes(30-35 minutes weights, and 20-25 minutes interval cardio), and sometimes I will get in 10-15 minutes of competition posing/walking practice. I give myself 30 minutes or less to shower and get dressed for work. So between 1.5-2 hours total, I am at the gym. I think you may be overdoing it......
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I only spend an hour, give or take 5-10 minutes. I've learned to exercise efficiently and not excessively. Works for me :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    How many days a week are you doing SO much?

I'm at my gym for around 90 minutes (+shower time) every morning, but I generally don't do EVERYTHING in the same day. I generally bike (or take a spin class), run or do elliptical (or spend a short amount of time on two of these things) and add strength training in on the other time.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Do you people seriously plan on spending 8+ hours in the gym every week of your life for the rest of your lives?

HECK YES! I plan on looking this good forever!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I generally workout an hour to an hour and a half. I do cardio for 30-45 min (if I am not doing anything outside) then I lift 3 x a week.

3 hours seems excessive :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    One hour, two tops. 10 minute warm-up and 40 minutes lifting. 2 hour days are Saturdays when I do an hour of Zumba and an hour of Yoga.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, but I spend about 35-45 min per day, 5-6 days a week on exercise. I can't imagine spending 3 hours at a time. I really can't.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    I"m there 6 days a wk, for at least 2 hrs each time, some days more depending on cardio.. I do classes Tues, wed, thurs sat., along w/ cardio, then mon, fri I do my own cardio and weight training..

I norm do 15-45 mins of cardio, normally the arc trainer or the stair master, burns the most calories in a short time.. The classes I take are body pump, and triple play (which is cycle, strength and yoga)

I think more then 3 hrs is a lot, sometimes even more then 2 hrs is a lot, what about your family and etc.. ?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    In and out in 45 minutes. I go 6 days a week and alternate running and weight lifting.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    An hour of cardio and then a 20 trip on the weight circuit.

Sometimes I double up the circuit and cut back on cardio.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options

I'm asking as at the moment I pay for 3 hours of parking in the gym car park and find that I'm running out of time.

No. Reconsider what you're doing at the gym. Reconsider EVERYTHING

this
  • GymBeast2
    Options
    I spend about 90 minutes in my gym.

An hour or 45 minutes of my own twisted step aerobics. The rest goes to weight training. If I have my trainer that day I will do a full hour of said aerobics if I have the time.

What gym are you going to that requires you to pay for parking?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

It's better than spending 8+ hours a week sitting at home doing nothing. That's for sure.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Consider doing much more intense exercise if you can last for 3 hours straight. You should be exhausted with just an hour of work, if that.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    35-55 mins tops, then out the door. 2-3X a week lifting and 1 or 2 days treadmill or spinning. Out the door in less then an hr.
  • GymBeast2
    Options

HECK YES! I plan on looking this good forever!

I agree 100%!!
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I only go to the gym for the pool, so I'm there somewhere between 30 - 60 minutes.