Cheat days - ruined an entire week

Options
So I cheated on Valentines day and Sunday slightly (ate maybe 1500 over my dieting calories on each day) and it hindered my weightloss a lot to where I didn't lose anything until today (0.6lbs).... do you guys really think they're helpful? Psychologically, if someone is able to stick with their diet without a cheat day why cheat?

Replies

• Jewles1285
    Options
    I dont cheat unless i absolutly have to! I try no matter what to stay within my goal. I dont have a weekly cheat day and i wont start one. If i need to have something to "treat" myself i will make sure it fits into my calorie goal and if not, i wont over do it! Good Luck!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Personal preference, I guess. I have tried both ways. Yeah, it sucks to lose a week of progress (probably a little TOO much cheating) but you gotta find a way to go for the long haul. Remember, you never stop dieting. Once you meet your goal, you have to find a way to live life and maintain your goal. I am hoping that being careful during the week, and eating sensibly on the weekends I will be able to maintain the fluctuations in weight to a 5 lb variation. We will see! Good luck.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    cheat days are exactly what it says its cheating. you dont need to do them you choose to just control yourself and maybe just splurge on a meal or something
  • 141by2016
    Options
    I think the term "cheat" is not necessarily helpful. It's unnecessarily negative, like saying foods are "bad" or "good" - foods have no morality.

Do I think a day here and there where you eat outside of your prescribed zone could be helpful? Yes, but it depends. For people who low-carb AND train a re-feed day every few weeks can improve athletic performance. For someone who is counting and netting 1200, the added fats especially can prevent hormonal imbalances. For most people who eat moderately I don't know if I see the physiological point, but if it helps you feel like you can continue, do it. Healthy habits for the rest of your life require leniency. Are you never going to eat cake at a friend's wedding or have a pint on St. Pats? Of course you are going to participate! You love life! Learning how to have meals that may be slightly outside your new norm without completely letting it derail you is an important skill to develop.

But that's just how I see it.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day", but on the weekends and special days I will treat myself to something I don't normally eat all week. But I'm always aware of how many approximate calories it has. Valentine's day and the day after i had a chocolate covered strawberry and 2 chocolate covered orieos. I still have some left, I don't know what I'm going to do with them because I don't want to hurt my hubby's feelings...:brokenheart:
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals, not a whole cheat day. On my cheat meal, it's usually because I skipped breakfast (happens sometimes on the weekend) so I have to make up the calorie goal. Cheat meals are better than a whole day of cheating. I absolutely HATE the red numbers from eating over my limits.
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    IMO, a cheat day isn't a good idea. I'm pretty sure eating like crap for an entire day might be some of the reason many of us ended up here in the first place. Albeit, there were probably many days like that strung together over a long period of time, but the point is that this is not a "diet." It needs to be a lifestyle change in order to make it work in the long run.

That being said, splurging on a meal here and there isn't going to kill you, but I usually work out harder to plan for it. Then I don't feel bad and know that I've earned it and it hasn't hindered my progress.
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    I don't think you should schedule cheat days, as in one a week or every sunday. It's true that one cheat day for me can ruin an entire week. I try to stay within my goals, but if I absolutely have to have something special/extra I just do it. Next day I get right back to it. Now this doen't hold true if I eat Pizza. For me that it will send me on a week or longer binge. I don't know why, but it's a major trigger food for me.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" at all. I eat what I want, when I want, so long as it fits in my calorie goal for the day. If I do go over for the day (like a holiday or special occassion), it is typicaly less than 200 calories
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So I cheated on Valentines day and Sunday slightly (ate maybe 1500 over my dieting calories on each day) and it hindered my weightloss a lot to where I didn't lose anything until today (0.6lbs).... do you guys really think they're helpful? Psychologically, if someone is able to stick with their diet without a cheat day why cheat?

I guess it depends on what you mean by cheat day. Different people have different definitions. To some, a cheat day or meal is just eating foods they feel are less clean, while for others they are untracked days. Eating 1500 calories over your target on two days during the course of a week is a lot, and the fact that you said "maybe" makes me think you didn't log what you ate.

Personally, I refuse to use the word "cheat" when it comes to my eating plan. What's the point? I don't think that eating at one of my favorite restaurants for Valentine's Day was "cheating." It was real life. Sometimes, life includes restaurants. I don't have any completely off-limits foods, so my normal days include foods that other people consider "cheats," just in smaller portions than I used to eat so they fit within my calorie target.

What I will do every two or three weeks, especially on a day when I might go to a good restaurant or hang out with friends, is to allow myself to eat up to my TDEE. I have my target set at a 1.5 pound loss per week, so this would give me up to 750 extra calories. Keeping track of those high-calorie days and logging them means that I'm still below my maintenance level and it doesn't really hurt anything. On Valentine's Day, I was over by 500, but that still left me at a deficit for the day. Since this isn't something that happens every week, it really doesn't hamper my weight loss. I feel that it helps because I never feel deprived. I know I can enjoy the foods I love, within reason.
  • melanelson
    melanelson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you can have a "cheat" meal every so often, but not a whole day of splurging.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    cheat days probably ruin more diets than help. probably best to stay away from them.
  • maxfitjax
    Options
    Cheat days are cheat days. In fact, it is good to have a break from dieting and keep your body from adapting to a diet. 1500 calories over your regulare calories is not a problem, if you are in a deficit throughout the week with nutrition and exercise. So, if you are in a 300 calorie nutrition deficit and expend 200 calories with exercise, that is a 500 calorie a day deficit. 500X6 days= 3000 caloried deficit. even if youd were over you diet calories by 1500 calories you would still have a net deficit of 1500 calories.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I fit everything I want into my calorie goals on typical days.
    If a day like valentine's day, a concert, birthday etc comes and I want to eat more that day, then I will.

I don't schedule 'cheat days', I just don't eat ridiculous amounts every single day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1500 cals over your goal, assuming your goal is 1lb/week loss that is 1000 cals over maintenance which would be 0.29lb gain (1000/3500). If you gained more than that then it is either water weight, due to sodium, or glycogen stores, or you ate even more than you thought.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you can have a "cheat" meal every so often, but not a whole day of splurging.

Was about to say the same. And you should postpone the cheat meal until you have made major progress. I have found that my desire for cheat meals has diminished substantially as I have progressed. It helps that I do not deprive myself and eat healthy food that tastes good and yet keeps me below my calorie goal.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" at all. I eat what I want, when I want, so long as it fits in my calorie goal for the day. If I do go over for the day (like a holiday or special occassion), it is typicaly less than 200 calories

Love this! Totally need to retrain my way of thinking! :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I dont' have cheat days. My "cheat" meals are usually saved for when I go out to eat, becuase sometimes it is hard to stay in calorie goal at restaurants.

But, I do have sweets all the time. Like ice cream, chocolate, etc... I just make sure to moderate it. But...that is me....if you find that having the stuff around is too much of a temptation then get rid of the stuff so that you can stay on track.

Also, btw...you having an uncontollable few days hasn't ruined you unless you let it ruin you. There are plenty of success stories in the forums of people having binge days, but have still successfully lost weight and kept it off.
  • rebeccamcarthur1
    rebeccamcarthur1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is not supposed to be a cheat DAY it is supposed to be a cheat meal that is why you went over your calorie intake so much and you haven't lost very much at all. Cheats can be okay as long as your not going overboard. REMEMBER it is one meal not a whole day!
  • CAlley1985
    CAlley1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stick to one Cheat Meal..not cheat DAY, per week if you feel like you must...dont if you dont want it..its that simple