Total Gym workouts

Options
Does anyone know how to log Total Gym workouts? What I did today was log my reps but didnt add a weight because I dont know what the weight it. Then I added calories burned under cardio. Im sure its not right. I got my calories burned by going here but Im not sure how accurate it is. http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-total-gym-workout Plus, its going to be a pain keeping track of everything separately. Is anyone already logging this activity? How do I do it?

Replies

• lal006
    lal006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Logging it under "strength training" in the Cardiovascular section by how long the session was is probably the best, simplest option. The thing about strength training (which is typically how you would categorize Total Gym workouts) is that it doesn't really matter how many calories you burn during the session.The real benefit of strength training is everything that happens afterward. With regard to calorie burn this would include the calorie burn you get after the workout, the calorie burn that comes from your body working to repair the muscles the next day, the extra calories your new muscle tissue will burn.

All the online calorie burn nubers they give are really just rough estimates anyway. They don't have enough information about you to be really accurate. If you really want to know then you should get something like a heart rate monitor or a body bug that can give you a more accurate measure.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For the total gym, you are lifting a % of your body weight and that % will vary as you change the incline. (The higher the incline, the higher the %.)

Likewise as you lose weight, the % will stay the same but the actual weight you are lifting at each incline will decline (aka 30% of 200 lbs is more lbs lifted than 30% of 150 lbs).

If you add weights to the extra bar (assuming your model has a bar) then the actual weight lifted will increase again. (Aka 30% of you at 150 lbs + 50 lbs in added weights = same lbs lifted as if you still weighed 200 lbs).

I'd say find a chart that lets you know what % each incline has you lifting and/or a formula and then run it through Excel. As your body weight drops you can update the Excel sheet cell that has your current weight and let Excel do the math to tell you what lbs you are now lifting at each incline. The owner's manual or website can probably tell you what % each incline is. There might even been an app for that.

http://www.totalgym.com/Images/Product/Documents/Total Gym Owners Guide_Spec.pdf (see page 32)