Body fat calipers

Options
Hi all,

I'm thinking of investing in a set of these. Any advice from anyone?

I've been looking at both manual and digital, wondering about the Sequoia Warrior or just very simple Accu Measure ones. (I'm in the UK).

Background; I can't afford any of the "gold standard" assessments available. I have BIA scales but they vary a lot, although mainly telling me I'm obese at about 35% BF.

Online calculators like the military one put me at about 14%, which would be great if true but it seems unlikely - and from reading I gather they're even less accurate.

Caliper/body fold measuring is not available at my gym.

So I'm thinking home measuring with calipers might be a useful way for me to get a better idea and be able to track progress.

I'd appreciate the benefit of other people's experience!

Replies

• SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Bump - some MFP peeps must use them, surely?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately calipers can be just as inaccurate as scales. If you can't afford a hydrostatic test or a body scan, i would just use a scale to make sure your body fat is trending downward. If you're really curious you can save up for an accurate scan.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Caliper testing is only as good as the person performing it. I would suggest looking at the measurements only for trending purposes, not as a hard and fast percentage because it will likely be off by a fair amount.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Caliper testing is only as good as the person performing it. I would suggest looking at the measurements only for trending purposes, not as a hard and fast percentage because it will likely be off by a fair amount.

Ths.

However, with practice, you can learn to get it right. I don't think you need to worry about making a huge investment though. Good calipers are under ten dollars.

The main concern is just that the number goes down.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    With skin folds, you need somebody with lots of experience for it to be anywhere near accurate. If you can't afford other options of bodyfat testing then just rely on measuring your self frequently and forget bodyfat. Using measuring tape is a great way of tracking progress.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have callipers and learned to use them. I just pinch at the same place once a month and see if there is a downward trend.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    They are not rocket science. If you can measure in the same location repeatedly and get your measurements consistently within 1 mm, you got it. Use a landmark on your body to measure the same location each time. I like the accumeasure. They have a detent to ensure consistent pressure and the measurement locks in place so you can read it yourself. Just takes some practice. I put my numbers into an online calculator. I use the Jackson-pollock 4-site method because the locations can be used without an assistant (same for the 3-site method). There are other methods, but some require a scapular measurement, which require help from another person.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    They are not rocket science. If you can measure in the same location repeatedly and get your measurements consistently within 1 mm, you got it. Use a landmark on your body to measure the same location each time. I like the accumeasure. They have a detent to ensure consistent pressure and the measurement locks in place so you can read it yourself. Just takes some practice. I put my numbers into an online calculator. I use the Jackson-pollock 4-site method because the locations can be used without an assistant (same for the 3-site method). There are other methods, but some require a scapular measurement, which require help from another person.

Thanks.

I've been reading elsewhere, and have ordered an Accumeasure. Jackson-pollack does seem to be the way to go.