I just made a terrible, but healthy smoothie....HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie and my teen loves it because it's sweet:

1 light & lively strawberry yogurt
    frozen mixed berries (or fruit of your choice)
    1% milk
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!! I have some experimenting to do now!
    Btw: What is stevia?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Yuck OJ? >> Chocolate Protein Powder, Banana, Peanut Butter, Hersheys Syrup (1 Teaspoon..i know i know) and 2% Milk.
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    Ditch the orange juice. Too many strawberries might make it bitter tasting as well. I usually do banana, 1/4-1/2 cup strawberries, a couple handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup almond milk, and a scoop of protein powder.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I drink smoothies daily. Remove orange juice.

For extra sweetness, add a few grapes, a bit of watermelon, or a bit more banana.

If you really want to make it healthy, ignore color and add a about 10-20 baby spinach leaves in.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Crushed ice in a blender, then add 8 oz. Soymilk Original Lite, then add 1 banana and 1 T. peanut butter and Blend....Yum!!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Every morning after my workout I make the following shake. It is so good that I actually crave it!

1 banana
    1 cup mixed berries (blue, black and rasp)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1-2 cups water (work on this to get the consistency you like)
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing spinach (because it really doesn't taste like anything) with fruit, water and splenda or stevia. Just one packet is sweet enough for me. That OJ has a ton of sugar that I would leave out. And don't expect it to be pretty.
  • SisterCreep
    SisterCreep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Smoothie Recipe

1 frozen banana
    1/2 Cup frozen mixed berries (any kind)/sweet cherries
    1 Cup homemade kefir (like yogurt)
    1 Tbsp honey if kefir is particularly sour

I always freeze spotty bananas for smoothies because they are sweeter.
    I might add a little protein mix just because I'm trying to get rid of it.

I usually only drink half this recipe and freeze the other half for kefir-berry sherbet.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe is: 3 - 1" pieces of frozen banana, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tsp. peanut butter, 1/2 scoop protien powder. Sweet and yummy!
  • 0atmeal_queen
    Options
    That sounds incredbily calorific and sugary already.

Cut the juice.

Get used to REAL sugar..
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't make smoothies, but the OJ and milk don't sound like they go together.
  • readytolose50
    Options
    I have been drinking a greek yogurt, kale, blueberry and chia seed shake...I know it sounds gross and does not look pretty, but it is very healty and filling. I got it from the 60 Day Challenge.
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This one is really good!

1/2 c. plain non-fat yogurt
    1 handful spinach
    1 banana
    1/2 c. pineapple
    1/2 c. cold water
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Add protein powder. It will work as your sweetner PLUS give you extra protein your body probably needs.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is the smoothie I had this a.m. - I find when making smoothies - the strongest flavor no matter what I put in so far - is the banana lol.

Baby Spinach, 4 cups = 20 cals protein = 2
    Jif - Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 Tbsp = 95cals protein = 4
    Healthy Choice - Greek Frozen Yogurt Honey Swirl, 1 cup = 100cals protein = 4
    Del Monte - *Banana, 1 banana = 110cals protein = 1
    Generic - Mint Leaf, 2 leaves = 0cals protein = 0
    Arizona - Diet Green Tea W/ Genseng and Honey, 1 cup = 0cals protein = 0

Total cals = 325
    Total protein = 11

I'm sorry I'm not tracking my sugars right now so I'm not completely sure - no sugar in the green tea, no sugar in the spinach, p.butter prob has some, and banana does - froyo is only 100cals so it's likely minimal....

anyways - it comes out this gorgeous green color - like the "post reply" button green on the message boards here lol - and this way you get a veg for the day too - and the primary flavor is banana with just a touch of mint. I personally was looking for the mint kick - so when I make it tomorrow I'll likely try with more mint leaves.

Another version I tried - to up my protein - was to use Slim Fast 3/2/1 shakes - french vanilla flavor - in place of the liquid used above. that made it more cals (like 505 total) - but more protein too.

Big bit of advise - make sure the bananas are FROZEN IN CHUNKS - don't try to blend a full on frozen banana - you'll be sorry haha.
    So i don't use any ice at all - the frozen banana makes it smoothie enough for me, along with the greek froyo. :)
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Use an over ripe banana, it will be sweeter. I make smoothies most mornings for breakfast, 100% juice (Whatever kind you prefer), 3/4c Greek Yogurt, 1.5 Cups frozen berries (mine varies with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries,raspberries, cherries) and if I'm in the mood for a sweeter tasting smoothie I add an over ripe banana! Keep trying you will find a combination that you enjoy. You could also use a sweetner if you really had to or a little honey :)
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most mornings, I have a small smoothie:
    - 1 c mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
    - 2 tbsp plain low-fat yogurt
    - 1/4 c milk
    - flax or chia seeds (depending)
    It works out to just under 200 calories, and tastes great (I personally hate the taste of banana and find it overtakes smoothies regardless of what amount you put in).