Question about Salad

Options

Replies

• asims181
    asims181 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can figure out the nutritional content per serving using the recipe tool on MFP.
  • HMARIE716
    Options
    I just looked up the bolthouse farms classic ranch----WOW only 45 cal for 2 tbsp 3g of fat and 2 sugars! If it tastes good, that'd be great! I didn't even know about these yogurt dressings.

I'm going to see if the grocery store I go to has this tonight........ I'm just not a fan of any vinegar/oil dressings. :(
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    2 of my absolute favorite salad dressings are from Trader Joes (see pic)... especially the Champagne Pear Vinaigrette. Only 45 cals for 2 tbs, 3g fat .... and I usually don't need 2 whole tbs. for a big salad. The other is the Cilantro...yum! (I use the other 2 as sauces in my stir-frys).
    Also- for a while, I was using salsa as a dressing... really yummy and most salsas were only 10cals or so per tbs. Makes it like a big taco salad (all the toppings, no tortilla/chips). Great options...

2144192.jpg
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a moderate amount of dressing I like, (ranch mostly) but add a lot of veggys
    and healthy lettuce to the salad. If we make food we don't like we won't eat it,
    so I think it's better to use moderation and eat healthy. I like to thin my dressing
    a bit so it covers more salad and I don't need as much. I use skim milk to thin
    it. A meal plan we can live with is more beneficial than a diet we don't like and
    will stop following.
  • dmarhal
    Options
    I have used Salsa with Ranch dressing in my southwest salad. It is salad greens with
    Ranch and then I add canned corn, black beans and Mrs. Renfro's chipotle corn salsa.
    It has a nice smokey flavor. I think you'll like it.
  • HMARIE716
    Options
    I completely agree.... while I LOVE salads when we go out to eat, it's mainly because of the full fat dressings.... then when I buy salad, I barely eat them because they're not as satisfying to me without dressing, or with the ones that I don't like(that are better for you)

Where can you buy trader joes dressings???
  • dmarhal
    Options
    4 TBLs to a quarter cup. Add all ingredients and divide to TBL size serving.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    where can you buy trader joes dressings???
    I think only in their stores (I don't think they sell products online)

traderjoes.com (to see if there's one near you)....
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft FF Zesty Italian.... or Ken's FF Raspberry Walnut dressing

or Salsa :)
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started by just using smaller amounts of my favorite dressings. I worked it down to the fork-dipping method and now I'm at the point where I don't use dressing at all! I put about 1/4 of an avocado, meat (usually leftovers from the night before so it varies), 1 tbsp of dried cranberries and call it a day! It took a long time to get this way though, but I really do still love my salads!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I too do not like FAT FREE ranch...I do however like LIGHT ranch! Also, I read the servings and cals...most servings are for 2 tablespoons and I find that I can easily do ONE. If its in a container with a lid and you shake the hell out of it the dressing will get everywhere and taste great! So yup I stick with what I like and it works!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Try balsamic vinegar. This is what I put on my salad 99% of the time. I love it!!!!!! The other 1% I get a light blue cheese or something similar anduse the fork-dipping method as someone else described. A lady at work told me about that, it's quite brilliant actually. :drinker:
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I make my own using roasted garlic grapeseed oil and red wine vinegar and then garlic powder/black pepper to taste.
  • Jennybebop
    Jennybebop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bolthouse farms makes yogurt-based dressings that are significantly lower in calories and fat.

^This! I love, love, love the Bolthouse Farms dressings. They taste so creamy and decadent - The honey mustard one is my fave. They are usually found in the refrigerator section in the produce aisle. Trader Joe's has some great yogurt-based options too. I also love Newman's Own Sesame Ginger Lite. High in sodium, but it's so flavorful, a little goes a long way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Zesty Italian. :D
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you can reduce the balsamic to make it sweeter. Just pour some in a skillet on the stove and let is reduce over medium heat for a couple of minutes. It will become more syrupy and tasty!

That sounds yummy!!!!!!!! I am so trying that tonight! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I generally just use vinegar and salt on my salads, but i spice it up with real bacon bits(25cals for 7g) and crumbled goat cheese (which is really creamy and low in cals). I also add some kalmata olives or wax peppers for flavor
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Just wondering what everyone uses to put on their salads??? I LOVE a good salad, but the obvious yummy part is the dressing. I love ranch & french----however I do not like fat free ranch, and the fat free french/western has a TON of sugar.

I've tried just using a little EVOO/Vinegar...however, it's just not the same. What are the best options so that you're not racking up a ton of calories and sugar?

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure what brand you're buying, but WishBone Light Sweet & Spicy French has 30 cal per tablespoon and 2 gr. sugar-
    NOT HighFructoseCornSyrup (which I avoid)

I also make my own Catalina with Hunt's Ketchup, vinegar and stevia in the raw.
    I'll send the recipe to anyone interested.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Japanese ginger dressing. A little goes a long way.