Counting fruit calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I count them.....but I know what you mean.... A bit like vegetables......fruit and veg should be nothing.....but I suppose everything has calories

Except water of course : )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? One of my apples has nearly 100 calories in it...why wouldn't I count that? I only have a 500 calorie deficit in my calorie goal to lose 1 Lb per month...an apple and an orange and some berries not counted every day would pretty much put that down to about 1/2 Lb per week deficit.

Everything has calories, count them. My understanding is that WW did that to promote eating more fruit and veg...it's my understanding that it was only for 1 serving though...if you had more than that, you counted it. That's what my mom told me anyway when she was on WW.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    whatever goes in, you count, simple.

THIS. Even vitamins, gum, cough drops.

Yep. Imagine my horror when I found out during my last cold that Nyquil has 93 calories a dose!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    whatever goes in, you count, simple.

THIS. Even vitamins, gum, cough drops.

Hell, I count my salmon oil pills...I take 4 per day and they're 10 calories a pop...that's 40 calories.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fruit can have a significant amount of calories, so yeah--log it!

However, I don't log my vitamins. That's just ca-ra-zay
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. Gotta count 'em.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, a clementine is 35 calories, 7g sugar, no fat. A slice of Domino's 14" ultimate deep dish pepperoni pizza is 350 calories, 4g sugar, 16g fat, and a whopping 670mg of sodium. Good choice. But record it.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    well clementines are only 40 calories.... lol so to eat a pizzas worth which is usually 300 calories so you ate about 7.5 clementines lol... does this sound right.. its not bad lol but yes i still count calories with fruit....

edited by the type of clementines i eat. which is calfornia cuties.. and the pizza is papa johns original crust so my calculations may not be correct with your situation lol
  • Sekxy49
    Sekxy49 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Could you share your 100 calorie berry mix?

Awe....it's almost gone!!
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Does anyone LEGIT not count fruit calories? I AM aware that everything (almost) has calories, but when I was with weight watchers briefly, fruit was 0 points. I have been trying to eat a lot of fruit to curb my cravings for more unhealthy things, but the amount of mini clementines I've had today probably counts as a few slices of pizza...so my question is: does anyone NOT count fruit calories?

(I can do without any long nutrition lectures, thanks.)
    My diet is plant-based so all my calories come from fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, etc. Therefore I do count those calories.

My philosophy is also to maximize my nutrition per calorie and nutrition per dollar. So for me, the same amount of calories in pizza and clementines don't contain the same nutrition or bang for the buck or calorie. The raw fruit has vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fiber the pizza doesn't contain. Also, the pizza could have saturated fat and possibly other things depending on who made it that sabotage weight loss progress.

Therefore, in my opinion, all calories are not alike. Having said that, I'm not going to tell people what to eat or not. We all have to find what works for us as individuals.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am an active WW member. But....I know all about calories in, calories out. That's why I'm here. I double-log....and when I get to 1200 calories, I stop, no matter how many points I have left. Now, if I feel like I am starving, I will eat a veggie or a fruit, but that only happened the first week, I'm in control now.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I definitely count my fruit calories, but I try not to worry about my sugars. I'm not diabetic and 90% of my sugar comes from natural foods (like fruit) so I'm not going to let it stres me out!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything except Texas de Brazil days and I log those the day till going to Texas de Brazil. For those of you not familiar with that restaurant... http://texasdebrazil.com/location/fort-worth I flatly refuse to take a scale and deal with it on one of the 3 times a year I go there for birthdays and anniversaries.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I gave up counting for Lent but when I do count my cals, yes. Fruit counts. Every little piece of fruit counts.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit and I do record it. Though, if fruit puts me over for calories in a day I don't worry too much.
  • seejai13
    seejai13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruit and stuff like carrots. I'm a college student and I always want to snack while I eat and honestly I don't have the will power not to when I get hungry enough. It's my reward for snacking healthily :P
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I count it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    yep fruit counts