serving size of ice cream

Options
sundinsgurl
sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
I allowed myself a serving of ice cream because I havent had it in a longg time. It wasnt to high in calories.. but obviously was about 8 grams of fat soo not that great.

I have never ever measured a serving size of ice cream, normally it was just pile as much into a bowl as I wanted (or could fit lol)
Amazingly I was completely satisfied after a 1/2 cup which is 1 serving size. And to think I would of normally have eaten about 4 or 5 servings at once!! and I bet I felt much better than I would of had I actually eaten that much ice cream

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine in grams. I found it was hard to get the 1/2 cup just right (my 1/2 cups sometimes got a little large) For some reason weighing has worked the best for me. I eat low fat and sugar free so it is a treat I allow myself a few times a week. My kitchen scale has a feature where I can zero out what is on it so I zero out the bowl and just weigh the ice cream.:happy:
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use a bathroom dixie cup 3 oz. and put the icecream in!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    question:

is half a cup of ice cream as much ice cream as you can possibly cram into 1/2 a cup or is it just as much as will fit comfortably?
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    question:

is half a cup of ice cream as much ice cream as you can possibly cram into 1/2 a cup or is it just as much as will fit comfortably?

This is why weighing it is more accurate.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    the dixie cup is a wonderful idea! i bet that could be a good portion measurer for lots of foods.

also using a cake cone could be a good portion controller for ice cream. you can only fit so much on it!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas!! I will definetely try the dixie cup idea next time instead of the half cup
  • livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    I use the 1/2 cup measuring cup and just fill it, level, then eat it in the measuring cup.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Next time you want ice cream go to Walmart..Blue bunny birhday party ice cream sandwiches...birthday cake batter flavored ice cream, jimmies, thin layer of icing and 2 white sandwich cookies...all for 140 calories, and no measuring.....YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM!

BTW, i also weigh, because it is real hard to cheat 7 grams, but not so much 1/2 cup!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Besides peanut butter I was dreading warmer weather because of my passion for ice cream! Thanks to Hungry Girl I have discovered Skinny Cow ice cream! It is between 100-150 calories and there is cones, sandwiches, and now perfect little single serving sizes. I am in love with the peanut butter sandwiches and mint cones and find that one satisfies my ice cream craving. I like the ideas given here too!