Tips to not FAIL at your diet on the weekend?

Options
Hi - does anyone have any tips to not completely fail at dieting on the weekend? I seem to do so well during the week because I am at work and don't think about eating, but the weekends are the WORST! I am stuck at a 10lbs weight loss and can't seem to get past it because I splurge on the weekends too much. Any tips? ANYONE?

-Ashley

Replies

• lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes pls I'd like to know some tips too xx
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    how is it harder to stay on track during the weekend?

there are 100 chores to do around the house to keep you busy and more time for the gym than weekdays (you should be able to get a daytime session in as well as your regular nightly session in)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    EPIC FAIL ON WEEKENDS, but i get it all back
    and its worth the fun.
  • ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley.

I too struggle with the same thing, but I am finding that by planning my meals in advance for the weekend and making sure that I have everything I need to complete them meals in advance helps me out! Also i make sure there is nothing at home that may tempt me.

I don't have great willpower, but I'm working on it. Good luck! X
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Tip #1: STAY BUSY! I am a bored eater, so I am constantly doing projects at home. Or finding yard work to do... pretty much
    anything that will keep me from getting bored.
    Tip #2: find fun ways to exercise on the weekend that you do not have time for during the week: bowling, tennis (i am horrible but
    still have fun), find a park with trails and walk the trails, go skating at the skating rink, etc.
    Tip #3: do not buy junk food. If it is in your house, you will probably eat it. If you do not have a bunch of junk in your house, and you
    still go over your calories, at least you did it with mostly healthy foods.
    Tip #4: Plan your food (including snacks) for the day.

Weekends are harder because you are surrounded by temptation and probably have idle time. But, if this is a priority in your life, then making sure weekends are good should be just as important!
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    I would love to give you a tip but I don't follow them myself. I like splurging on Sundays. I have the house to myself and I like to enjoy it (and the food).
    The only thing I have done is I would only splurge on one specific meal. So if I'm going to eat bad for dinner (knowingly) I would eat a healthy breakfast, healthy lunch and healthy snacks.
    Since I move a lot during the weekends (getting stuff done or just dancing to the background music since no one can make fun of me if no one is there), I burn of a lot of calories so I tend to balance out in the end.
    One or two bad days and 5-6 good days is an acceptable combination. You can't be perfect and stressing about it won't help you. (One because it causes stinky stress sweat, two because it drives you crazy, and three because you will crave comfort food--and that's the worst).
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Another tip would be to limit the amount of splurge. Instead of Saturday and Sunday, do either Saturday or Sunday.
    Or you could practice your discipline by challenging yourself to eat only from your household (or a family's house hold if you have a gathering).
    Or you could just work out on the weekends as you splurge to sort of counteract some of the extra calories.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    PLAN, and then plan some more. I hate it, but you have to make a plan and stick with it.

If you're having trouble keeping busy, schedule your time.

7-9am: work out
    9-9:30am: load dishwasher
    9:30-10:30: Mop kitchen floor

etc.

Sounds silly, but that's how I stopped myself from mindless eating on the weekend several years ago.
  • skanabar
    skanabar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat more when I am at work but its atleast healthy. Weekends i eat less but more of the wrong food, i dont eat on time n stuff like that. I am trying to figure out why i eat more when im at work ?
  • claire2610
    claire2610 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't go without completely at the weekend - especially if i've worked hard all week!

But I limit myself to one treat and plan when I'm going to have it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Saturday and Sunday are no different than Tuesday or Wednesday...eat it, log it. I pre-plan my days, including weekends; weekends aren't special. I keep myself busy on the weekends...I don't just lounge about the house. I take my boys out for some activity...I hit the gym...I work on projects at the house...I clean up the yard...I go visit friends...I go for a hike or mountain biking or engage in some other hobby I enjoy. I rarely just lounge around the house doing nothing for hours; I'd go insane.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Exercise more. I simply don't let myself sit around and do nothing on the weekends. I eat a proper breakfast, do chores, pack a proper lunch, and go to a park for several hours. I run errands, with rules that I may not eat out. I do the major cooking for the week on the weekend -- pre-cooking all my meat and prepping veggies and fruit so that I can have easier and more efficient meals. I go to the gym or pool for at least 2 hours on my days off.

I refuse to take breaks from my diet on weekends because a break for a whole day snowballs into a break for a few days or a week or a month and then I'm back where I was before. I also set rules for acceptable times for meals. Breakfast may begin as early as 6:45am (if I want to get up that early) but the kitchen closes for meals at 9am sharp. If I haven't eaten by then, too bad. Lunchtime starts at 11:30-12:30. If I haven't cooked my meal and eaten it in that time period, too bad (lunch was my worst offender for poor food choices, so the shorter period means better choices). I have a snack of a fruit or veggie at 3pm. Supper is between 4:30 and 6:30. If I haven't eaten between those time frames, too bad.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Stay busy and active. I have not done this intentionally to keep from eating, but I have found that as I get healthier and have more energy, I spend a TON of time doing active stuff on weekends. I have a hard time sometimes on weekends even eating all the calories that I actually need to be eating!
  • ashley1q
    ashley1q Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To those asking why it's so hard on the weekends --- because there's more time in my day to THINK about eating. But I will try to stay more busy in order to stop my mind from thinking about eating bad food, that seems to be the common denominator here. Also, I think that scheduling my time is a very good idea.
    Thank you!
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I would love to give you a tip but I don't follow them myself. I like splurging on Sundays. I have the house to myself and I like to enjoy it (and the food).
    The only thing I have done is I would only splurge on one specific meal. So if I'm going to eat bad for dinner (knowingly) I would eat a healthy breakfast, healthy lunch and healthy snacks.

This! Our cheat day is Saturday, but we always start out with a healthy breakfast and exercise -- even light exercise. I have a cheat meal, usually some calorie-heavy sandwich from somewhere, or wings, or Chinese, and enjoy every bite. I might have some wine or beer, too, but I add those in to my diary. It satisfies the urges, and then I get right back to the good stuff the next day.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If you work Mon-Fri you probably think of weekends as a time to relax and cut loose a little. And it's true that you don't have the responsibility of a paying job on Saturday and Sunday, but your weight loss goal doesn't change just because it's the weekend. You can still have some indulgences on the weekend. You shouldn't deprive yourself too much. You can save calories throughout the week so you can have a nice cheat meal on Saturday. Or on Saturday you can work out, eat light throughout the day, and then have your cheat meal.
    Or, if you can, have what you want but just a small amount.
    Last Sunday I made banana and nutella crepes and sausage patties for breakfast and didn't count the calories until after I ate. I did my best to eat a reasonable amount and was very surprised to find that it was only about 300 cal. So you can have what you want - just be reasonable and remember that your goal doesn't change on the weekends. Maybe your mindset does but you can work on changing that.
  • ashley1q
    ashley1q Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will certainly take it into consideration!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    First - there is no fail. There is just eating. Sometimes that means going over but sometimes that means remembering that there is not just one day in weight gain so there isn't just one for weight loss.

Tips:

1) Plan, plan, plan. You want to eat something you consider a treat - then earn it. Do more gym on the weekend on the morning of your big night. Figure out what really turns your crank and do JUST that (wine, popcorn, chocolate, beer, pizza? - all are ok if you don't eat all of the pizza, everywhere, ever). Try to find healthy alternate versions of your favourites - cinema popcorn will top you out for almost 1000 calories if you buy a large - so pop your own JollyTime at home and bring a big ol' purse with you.

2) Don't auto eat while preparing meals (putting a few snacky things in your mouth without planning them or accounting for them) - and if you are inclined to do this - have a tub of cut veggies to nibble on while you stir. In fact, always have a tub of veggies cut up - it will mean when you have those panic hungry meal times you can have something to hand to fill the big hole before you put a bad, quick choice in your mouth that you will regret.

3) Log BEFORE you eat. It will mean that you are using your logical brain rather than your childish 'but I want it' brain. It will also be part of your planning - it means that if you know you would like a glass of wine or two later you will put less sandwich filling in your lunch (when you have more control) or decide against that Starbucks cookie to go with your coffee (which you are eating out of habit rather than necessity).

4) Drink lots of water. A lot of times you are mistaking signs of thirst for hunger.

5) Until your partner is able to identify the kinds of things you can and cannot eat to maintain your calorie intake - make your own food. It is lovely to have someone else cook for you but it also means that they are making the prep choices for you and that can be bad if your guy/girl likes a lot of mayo, butter and fried whatzits.

6) Don't buy dinner kits. They give you a wrong sense of calories and it will make you unable to track properly. I like tacos and will admit that I use the kits. If I buy the mix and the shells separate then I know EXACTLY how much I am eating. Also, most kits tend to have loads of high value low nutrition in them and won't fill you up like a homemade version will which you will add the good nutritious stuff to that the kits will encourage you not to.

Don't sweat it if you go a bit over. Life is for living - so long as you know in your heart that you are back on board tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Just keep logging, be honest and it will take care of itself.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thrift store clothes. Especially clothes that are still a wee bit too small. Hard to want to go pig out when you just squeezed your butt into some tiny jeans.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am home all week long - work from home - so these are tips I use every day to avoid grazing in the fridgy pasture...moo! ;)