Any 5.5 ft people out there with stories?

Options
Any 5.5 ft people out there with stories? I really need the motivation. I lost ten pounds, going down to 170, but then then gained them back. IN A WEEK. I feel horrible and could use some encouragement.

Replies

• thealphabetpony
    Options
    I'm 5"4 (If i'm lucky) and i can share mine with you! unfortunately in the past few months i've gained probably 10-15 pounds (i dont have a scale) but i'm working on getting back down again. my highest weight was 190 and lowest was 127, and averaged around 130!

2hgeng5.jpg
    20ji6bo.jpg

and after

fdec7f08-9c8a-4970-a8ef-30461c5bd3bb_zps91a0204b.jpg
    380005_10150497715045169_285446354_n.jpg
    Photoon2012-02-20at19502.jpg

i've recently moved across country and am adjusting to juggling an extremely busy week with eating properly. i also sometimes go 8 hours without eating due to work and it's caused this weight gain, as i binge when i get home. i'm trying to begin exercising again in my apartment (though difficult with roommates), and bringing some form of snack with me at work so i avoid this. my clothes are fitting tight right now, and it's so disappointing! good luck on your journey, hopefully this can be some motivation!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and I started on here last February weighing 177 pounds and a tight size 14. Today, I'm 139.8 and between a size 6 and a size 8. You can look at my profile and see my photos to see the change - my first photo (with a curling broom and a beer) is from the same day I signed up for MFP. My current profile pic (with my Canadian curling broom) is from mid-December when I weighed about the same as I do now.

It's been a slow and steady decline for me. Carefully watching calories initially, then adding in walking / running and recently adding in strength training and conditioning exercises. It took me from February to mid-July to lose the first 20 pounds. Then I continued to lose in the late summer and the fall, and I've been basically maintaining since late November.

I think the key is taking small steps towards a real lifestyle change. I cook a lot more from scratch. I generally bring my lunch from home. (I have an open diary if you want to see my meals). I started out really just tracking what I ate, and trying to reduce my calorie intake in relatively easy ways (e.g., cutting out most alcohol). Then I slowly started adding in more exercise - initially in the form of walking. In the summer, I was walking 3-4 miles every day. Then I started C25K and added running to the mix. I did WiiFit, and I just started the 30-Day Shred.

You have to take a long-term view of your progress. You didn't put your weight on in a week and it's not going to come off in a week. Know that your weight will fluctuate, sometimes quite wildly. I have seen my weight jump by 5 pounds overnight - due to water retention / TOM issues. You just have to keep at it. (Personally, I weigh every day because it keeps me on track, but some people find it discouraging seeing their numbers fluctuate, so find what works for you.) Also, you have to recognize that the number on the scale is not the be-all end-all - take your measurements and see how your size changes even if the number on the scale doesn't really move.

One thing that helped me when I was struggling, was I resolved to truly give myself a month - 30 days - of really actively focusing on diet and exercise. I tried to walk every day and aimed to track *everything* I ate. I figured I could do *anything* for a month - it didn't have to be forever, I was just conducting my own little experiment. (That being said, I was also focused on eating healthfully that month, so I wasn't super calorie restricted - I always always always netted close to 1300). That was my most successful month of weight loss - I lost nearly 10 pounds (which actually was more than I wanted to, so I upped my calories.)

Another thing I have found helpful is to make monthly goals, not all of which are weight-related - things like "try four new recipes," "walk at least 100 miles," "do yoga at least 3 times a week." Having something to focus on other than the number on the scale allows you to feel like your making progress even if the scale isn't budging.

I know it sounds trite, but slow and steady truly does win the race. You can do it!
  • Seralithe
    Options
    I'm 5"4 (If i'm lucky) and i can share mine with you! unfortunately in the past few months i've gained probably 10-15 pounds (i dont have a scale) but i'm working on getting back down again. my highest weight was 190 and lowest was 127, and averaged around 130!

2hgeng5.jpg
    20ji6bo.jpg

and after

fdec7f08-9c8a-4970-a8ef-30461c5bd3bb_zps91a0204b.jpg
    380005_10150497715045169_285446354_n.jpg
    Photoon2012-02-20at19502.jpg

i've recently moved across country and am adjusting to juggling an extremely busy week with eating properly. i also sometimes go 8 hours without eating due to work and it's caused this weight gain, as i binge when i get home. i'm trying to begin exercising again in my apartment (though difficult with roommates), and bringing some form of snack with me at work so i avoid this. my clothes are fitting tight right now, and it's so disappointing! good luck on your journey, hopefully this can be some motivation!
    Thanks, It really was! My highest is probably the weight I'm at, which is 183.6 At least I know I'm not in this alone! :smile:
  • Seralithe
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and I started on here last February weighing 177 pounds and a tight size 14. Today, I'm 139.8 and between a size 6 and a size 8. You can look at my profile and see my photos to see the change - my first photo (with a curling broom and a beer) is from the same day I signed up for MFP. My current profile pic (with my Canadian curling broom) is from mid-December when I weighed about the same as I do now.

It's been a slow and steady decline for me. Carefully watching calories initially, then adding in walking / running and recently adding in strength training and conditioning exercises. It took me from February to mid-July to lose the first 20 pounds. Then I continued to lose in the late summer and the fall, and I've been basically maintaining since late November.

I think the key is taking small steps towards a real lifestyle change. I cook a lot more from scratch. I generally bring my lunch from home. (I have an open diary if you want to see my meals). I started out really just tracking what I ate, and trying to reduce my calorie intake in relatively easy ways (e.g., cutting out most alcohol). Then I slowly started adding in more exercise - initially in the form of walking. In the summer, I was walking 3-4 miles every day. Then I started C25K and added running to the mix. I did WiiFit, and I just started the 30-Day Shred.

You have to take a long-term view of your progress. You didn't put your weight on in a week and it's not going to come off in a week. Know that your weight will fluctuate, sometimes quite wildly. I have seen my weight jump by 5 pounds overnight - due to water retention / TOM issues. You just have to keep at it. (Personally, I weigh every day because it keeps me on track, but some people find it discouraging seeing their numbers fluctuate, so find what works for you.) Also, you have to recognize that the number on the scale is not the be-all end-all - take your measurements and see how your size changes even if the number on the scale doesn't really move.

One thing that helped me when I was struggling, was I resolved to truly give myself a month - 30 days - of really actively focusing on diet and exercise. I tried to walk every day and aimed to track *everything* I ate. I figured I could do *anything* for a month - it didn't have to be forever, I was just conducting my own little experiment. (That being said, I was also focused on eating healthfully that month, so I wasn't super calorie restricted - I always always always netted close to 1300). That was my most successful month of weight loss - I lost nearly 10 pounds (which actually was more than I wanted to, so I upped my calories.)

Another thing I have found helpful is to make monthly goals, not all of which are weight-related - things like "try four new recipes," "walk at least 100 miles," "do yoga at least 3 times a week." Having something to focus on other than the number on the scale allows you to feel like your making progress even if the scale isn't budging.

I know it sounds trite, but slow and steady truly does win the race. You can do it!
    How much exercise would you say you do? Usually, when I eat that much, I end up gaining instead of losing. And how do those Net Calories work?
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and have actually lost more than my ticker says because I started MFP after I started losing weight. Feel free to add me. I still have 18 lbs to go but its slowly coming off
  • helenling
    Options
    I am only 5'4 but since I'm on the big bone and short legged side I consider myself 5'5 when comparing to weight chart. I have lost 20 lbs and gained probably 5 lbs over the holiday and lost the again in about 1.5 months. Since I work out hard I feel really even though I have at least 5 more lbs to go. Good luck!
  • Seralithe
    Options
    I am 5'5 and have actually lost more than my ticker says because I started MFP after I started losing weight. Feel free to add me. I still have 18 lbs to go but its slowly coming off
    I definitely will!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6" but I used to be 5'8". Due to damage in my back & hips (accidents), I've gradually lost over 2" in my height over the last 10 years. My brain is convinced I'm 5'8" so thinks around 150 lbs is good for me, however, 2" makes all the difference in the world! I have finally come to terms that my weight will probably stay around 148-150 otherwise my body will fear starvation mode, so I've learned to compromise. I workout with weights & am building muscle & burning fat. It is VERY slow, but each month I'm seeing results, less fatty areas, feeling firming, stronger.

It's a constant struggle because I see the scale-weight & sometimes get very disheartened, but then I see my muscles & I realize that this is the best thing I can do for me as going forward, the more muscle I have the less pain I have in my injuries.

I refuse to give up or give in. I have the ability to conquer anything: if I could survive car & motorcycle accidents, I can accomplish anything I put my mind to.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How much exercise would you say you do? Usually, when I eat that much, I end up gaining instead of losing. And how do those Net Calories work?

I've just started 30 DS and I'm trying to do that every day. I live in Minnesota and prefer to walk / run outdoors, so my exercise has suffered for the past few months. Even so, I do try and get a long walk (5-6 miles) in on Saturday and Sunday, and then at least walk for 45 minutes or so a couple of times a week. (When the weather is better, I try to walk nearly every day - clears my head.) I also curl twice a week in the winter. I do try and keep active - makes me feel better and gives me extra calories to eat - a win-win!

MFP works on a 'net calorie basis,' - i.e. subtracts the calories burned from exercise. The rule of thumb is that you should never net below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) or else you risk slowing your metabolism - so, while you can eat below your BMR and lose weight in the short term, doing so for long periods of time will negatively affect your metabolism and that can take a long time to clear up. According to a variety of online calculators, my BMR is somewhere between 1350 and 1400 calories. That means if I burn 300 calories in exercise in a day, I should eat at least 1650 calories that day in order to ensure that my net calorie number is not below my BMR. One problem with MFP is that it seems to default for a lot of people to 1200 calories, which may be below BMR. For example, MFP had me down to 1240 net calories a day, I bumped up to 1400 and continued to lose weight, and recently bumped up again to 1680 as I'm trying to reduce my deficit for last 10 or so pounds. I'm trying out this new number for at least 30 days to see how I do. (However, I consistently ate above 2000 for the past couple of months and basically maintained, so I think I should continue to lose at 1680.)

Feel free to add me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Oh, the stories I could tell...oh, you mean about weight!

Every time i have tried losing weight the past couple of years, something has gone wrong, but the doctors had no answers. Different issues lead to lots of tests, but no answers. Last winter, i tried yet again, lost nothing, not even at the beginning. I went back to McDs. Last spring, I was doing meh on the eating, but was probably the strongest I have been in years - lots of activity, including body sculpt class and lifting at home. Since I wasn't being very careful with eating, I was still about 190. Then my schedule changed and I got lazy. I quit doing a lot of activities and I ate more and more at fast food places. I ballooned up 25-30 lbs in a few months. It was getting hard to do some of my favorite things, including snuggling on the couch.

I decided I needed to get moving again and I needed to eat healthy. Even if the weight didn't come off, my blood chemistry would improve, I wouldn't get winded dancing the jive, and I would have more strength for some of my other hobbies.

Ironically, with such stout resolution not dependent on immediate results, the weight is slipping off. But, even if I stall out at 190, I have the resolve to keep going this time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!