How do I calculate calories burnt during strength training

Options
Hi All,

One question I always have while I fill out my MFP diary every day. I can put the cardio calories by what is displayed on the machine(threadmill, elliptical, cycle etc) at the end of the exercise. I generally do cardio for 20mins before my strength training workout (4-5days of a week) and 1 hour of strength training (alternating between upper body n lower body exercises). I would like to understand / learn how do I measure the calories I burnt during my strength training workout? I know it depends on exercise, weights, reps etc, but I want to know how it it calculated so that I can enter correct calorie burn everyday. Any help, advice or suggestion welcomed and appreciated :)

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    you cant... nor you should even try to.
  • ldressle66
    Options
    During a nutrition class I took, my instructor said that the greatest thing about strength training is that it affects metabolism in a different way than cardio. I have noticed that even though I don't burn as many "calories" my metabolism seems to increase.

I definitely notice a difference when I do strength training consistently.

You should see a difference in the shape of your body over time!

Keep it up..don't focus on the calories so much.

That is my two cents...lisa D
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree but the problem I face is while I enter my food diary. As I can put up the calories that I have burnt doing cardio I end up with 100-250(max). And this increase my calories intake for the day by en equal amount (1650+200 approx). Now my confusion is if I should be eating around 1800 calories or can I eat more. Rather do I need to eat more? Most of the days I am easily within my calorie intake but this is not helping me. I am not losing weight at all :sad:.. and this is definitely bothering me. In one of the posts I read when the calorie intake was increased the person started reducing weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I am so confused, what is the right way coz I dont see my weight drop at all and inches wise also there is not much difference. Please HELP!!!
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Hi. Any advice here plz..
  • jessicamcnutt
    jessicamcnutt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3 days a week, I walk all around my campus and between classes which is sometimes 2 hours, but am I doing enough??
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    During a nutrition class I took, my instructor said that the greatest thing about strength training is that it affects metabolism in a different way than cardio. I have noticed that even though I don't burn as many "calories" my metabolism seems to increase.

I definitely notice a difference when I do strength training consistently.

You should see a difference in the shape of your body over time!

Keep it up..don't focus on the calories so much.

That is my two cents...lisa D

...and my blood sugar drops like a rock!
  • Anganiesta
    Anganiesta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can buy devices that you wear that will measure for you. There is bodybugg, however, you need to pay a fee in order to read the results. There is also fitbit which I am not familiar with.

http://www.bodybugg.com/

http://www.fitbit.com/

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products - I have the Polar T31 band (you wear right beneath your bra and the watch that shows the results.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products - I have the Polar T31 band (you wear right beneath your bra and the watch that shows the results.

HRM's are not accurate for strength training. The algorithms are set for higher heart rates like with cardio exercise.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

One question I always have while I fill out my MFP diary every day. I can put the cardio calories by what is displayed on the machine(threadmill, elliptical, cycle etc) at the end of the exercise. I generally do cardio for 20mins before my strength training workout (4-5days of a week) and 1 hour of strength training (alternating between upper body n lower body exercises). I would like to understand / learn how do I measure the calories I burnt during my strength training workout? I know it depends on exercise, weights, reps etc, but I want to know how it it calculated so that I can enter correct calorie burn everyday. Any help, advice or suggestion welcomed and appreciated :)

Strength training isn't about calorie burn, it's meant to increase your muscle mass which will in turn burn more calories. If you're searching for food calories to eat then stick to cardio.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you want people to help choose your daily calories, you're going to need to provide some data about yourself
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    If you want people to help choose your daily calories, you're going to need to provide some data about yourself

Sorry to ask but what data would help?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Current weight, height, activity level, goal weight, planned exercise routine
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Current weight, height, activity level, goal weight, planned exercise routine

Here they go:

Current weight: 88 kgs
    height: 163cms (5'5")
    activity level: Mostly desk job (IT)
    goal weight: 55-58kgs
    planned exercise routine: 5-6 days of a week workout

Please advice..