Suggestions on how to jazz up brown rice?

Options

Replies

• Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Make it into egg fried rice?

I do that sometimes, and add peas to it. It's pretty close to what the Japanese resteraunt by me calls "Hibachi Rice".

Oh, you need to add this to it as well........

091006sriracha.jpg
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Once it's a day old, fry with a teeny bit of oil, some green onions, chopped kimchee and a splash of soy sauce. Serve with egg on top. Can add chopped chicken, baked tofu etc etc to make more substantial...

This sounds delicious but not sure what kimchee is??

I have mixed my brown rice with red (Camargue) and wild rice (although technically not a rice), I think the different tastes and texture make it better. I have to admit though i do prefer it with some kind of sauce dish, even a a bit of spicy tomato sauce which isn't high in cals.

x

Kimchee is korean spicy pickled cabbage. You can buy it at most Asian food stores. Very very pungent, very strong. Probably one of those 'love it or hate it' things - if you like strong tastes and pickles, give it a try!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used Jasmine brown rice these last few weeks, so good! Added low sodium organic veggie broth vs. water and thew in few herbs!tasty!

Happy journey
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cilantro and fresh lime juice. Eat with a fresh pico de gallo mmmmmm
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I use low sodium/low fat chicken broth instead of water for a simple way to add flavor.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I like to make mine with salt and garlic then cut up tomatos, cucumbers and squeeze lime juice over that. I also love it with avocado.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like Indian and Mid-Eastern flavors. If I'm using microwave brown rice, I like to add a little Indian Mango Pickle to the rice for yummy salty spiciness. If I'm cooking it in the pot, I like to add a tsp of saffron threads to the water and a stick of cinnamon.
  • gilliang74
    Options
    I add salsa to mine - I like Garden Fresh.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Cook it in beef broth and add mushrooms and onions sauteed in water or a little butter. Add scallions just before serving.
  • bthumudo
    bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I usually add salsa to it while it's cooking or even Srachia.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Same way you jazz up white rice, I guess. Sauces, veggies, seasonings, meats...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but add peanut butter to the rice. It actually tastes really good.
  • srfranzen8
    srfranzen8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I top my brown rice with combination of pan-fried ground turkey, onions and mushrooms with lots of salt and cracked black pepper. Almost like stroganoff but without the cream of mushroom soup or sour cream.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    lots of fantastic idea s !
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    A little bit of peanut butter and honey is yummy :)
  • tanyadrescher1
    tanyadrescher1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried liquid aminos? Or Roasted garlic with fresh basil? You can also do cilantro with freshly squeezed lime!

I also have a food blog on Facebook you can check out for more ideas ;)

https://www.facebook.com/TheHealthyCrumb
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    last night I made gorgeous brown rice.

Cooked my rice in the morning then when I came in from work I stir fried it with red pepper, veg stock powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce and a little sesame oil, it was sooo good!

When I am just normally boiling it, i add in veg stock powder (for me builion is best) and then depending what I am having I might add in garlic powder, curry powder, soy sauce, sesame oil etc.

This sounds amaze!
    I also add in curry powder to my rice when I cook it. Have not tried veg stock though. Gotta try it!
  • tanyadrescher1
    tanyadrescher1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mint sounds yummy! Thats an herb I always forget about hahaha
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My kids are fond of fried rice that I make them on occasion with English peas, char grilled corn, onions, roasted red peppers. For mine, i like leftovers with lentils & pintos added with a drop of veggie broth.
  • RuTHyLiBRA
    Options
    1 cup of brown rice
    1/4 tsp coconut oil

Put rice in a pot, add water to about 1/2" - 3/4" above rice.
    Bring to a boil uncovered, then add coconut oil.
    Turn temp to low, cover and simmer until water has evaporated.
    Uncover rice, turn rice with a fork to check texture.
    Rice should be moist and flavorful. Turn off heat, let cool, then serve.
    -If still too dry add water accordingly (1/4 cup or less depending on dryness) re-cover and continue to simmer until water has evaporated again. Check texture. Rice should be ready. Turn off heat, let cool, then serve.