Wal-Mart HRM

Options
Any one tried it? Its about 30 bucks cheaper than a polar.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Is it the Sportline brand?

If so, I vote no... spend the extra few bucks for a good HRM.

Most of the cheap HRMs do not have a chest strap and do not allow you to enter your age, weight, sex and height which you need to ensure you get the most accurate calorie burn amounts.

I bought one of these before I got my Polar. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I went with the cheaper Walmart one. It didn't have a chest strap, it didn't allow me to enter my personal details. It was a complete waste of money and I returned it a few days after I bought it.

Spend the extra few dollars on a good one.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    lol was afriad of that answer... thank you!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    For any accuracy at all you need to have one with a chest strap. A Polar FT4 is probably your best buy from a reputable company.
  • PurplDeuce
    Options
    I have a Mios, that I purchased over a year ago. Tracks calories, heart rate, step and also has a stop watch. The battery died and I have not been able to find any information regarding what battery goes in it. Yesterday I purchased a HR Monitor on Amazon.com called the Oregon Scientific Gaiam Fitness Trainer 2.0 Watch. A little nervouse as it received mixed reviews, but I only paid $20 for it so we'll see if it gets the job done. I prefer strapless HR Monitors, and I've found that my Mio was pretty accurate especially for being a strapless HR Monitor. I do know that this new HR Monitor does allow you to input your information so it can tally and calculate correctly.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a Mios, that I purchased over a year ago. Tracks calories, heart rate, step and also has a stop watch. The battery died and I have not been able to find any information regarding what battery goes in it. Yesterday I purchased a HR Monitor on Amazon.com called the Oregon Scientific Gaiam Fitness Trainer 2.0 Watch. A little nervouse as it received mixed reviews, but I only paid $20 for it so we'll see if it gets the job done. I prefer strapless HR Monitors, and I've found that my Mio was pretty accurate especially for being a strapless HR Monitor. I do know that this new HR Monitor does allow you to input your information so it can tally and calculate correctly.
    let me know how that does... i can do 20 + shipping
  • Piper911
    Piper911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ugh I got the sportline one from Walmart and its awful. Half the time it can't even read my heart rate
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that a strapless HRM will be a bit less accurate as it doesn't take a constant HR reading.

OP, you have to find what works best for you. I find the chest strap monitors easier because than you don't have to keep taking your HR by putting your finger on the button on the watch. Makes it much easier if you are doing a video or something where you can't keep taking your HR.