I am not sweating! Frustrated!

Options
Although my HR is reaching its peak ( I can tell with my HRM), and although I am burning over 500 cals each time I hit the gym (again according to HRM), I am not sweating... I am pushing myself, occasinally my head will get warm, and it'll feel like I'm sweating, but I'm not actually dripping with sweat!! It's so frustrating... I feel like I'm pushing myself, sometimes to the point where I am breathless... I am drinking on average 11 or more cups of water a day... what is happening! I go to the gym 4-5x a week.

Do some people just sweat less?

Replies

• aprylmaree
    aprylmaree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm the same way. I will work out with other friends my age (spin class or kickboxing class) that are a similar size or even smaller and they will be covered in sweat and I will look the same way I came in. I could do 30 minutes on the elliptical doing my lunch and go right back to work without anyone noticing. You know if you are putting in the effort, not everyone sweats the same. Consider yourself lucky!
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    hows your water intake?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not everyone sweats excessively and sweating is in no way an indication of how hard you're working.

I sweat a lot when I workout but not nearly as much as my husband who can leave a puddle beneath the cardio machine he's using.
  • LisaR517
    Options
    I don't sweat all that much, my face will just get obnoxiously red. It's always been that way. *shrug*
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, everyone sweats differently and as others said, it has nothing to do with how hard you're working. When I first started working out, I barely broke a sweat evernthough I was breathing hard and putting a good amount of effort in. I even had a hard time breaking a sweat when I was in a sauna! In fact, I find that I overheat a lot easier than other folks for this reason. Running when it's higher than 70 degrees out is like torture to me!

Sweating comes a bit easier these days than it used to and someone told me that's an indication of improved fitness but I'm not sure I buy it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Are you fairly new to exercise? It may sounds odd, but it's an adaptive exercise response. When I first started working out I'd go bright red and get hotter... and hotter... and never sweat. But after a few months I was sweating with teh best of them and consider it a mark of valour when I actually drip!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Trade you. I just came back from a run in 20F temps, 11 with wind chill, clothes soaked through and ponytail is dripping down my neck.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I never sweat until about 10 years ago. Be grateful :)
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat as much as my husband, but I think the more you exercise you will begin to sweat more over time. I like sweating because I feel that toxins are exiting out of my body.
  • Are you fairly new to exercise? It may sounds odd, but it's an adaptive exercise response. When I first started working out I'd go bright red and get hotter... and hotter... and never sweat. But after a few months I was sweating with teh best of them and consider it a mark of valour when I actually drip!

What do you considser to be fairly new? I've been going to spin for 2 years now, hitting body pump for over a year, I work out 3-4 times a week, although I will admit over the past two years that hasn't been awfully consistent... I have "down times"
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I barely sweat unless it's a hot yoga class, doesn't seem to affect my progress.
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I sweat buckets when I do Turbo Fire but when I am on the elliptical for an hour, I barely break out in a sweat. I have no clue what gives.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I go ridiculously red when I workout, I do sweat a bit but it takes a LOT of effort and a very warm room. I see others who are pouring with sweat and stay perfectly pale, not sure which I'd prefer but let's face it if you don't look a mess in some way then you aren't working hard enough lol
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Very interesting... I actually used to sweat a lot when I started working out a few years ago - but since I've started eating more (and eating meat), I actually sweat a lot less. I could very easily just "touch up" and go out after I get a hard workout in now.. It's so weird! And it does make me sad! I loved getting my sweat on :cry:
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would never sweat before a year ago (I have been working out hard most of my life). I found out I had a Thyroid conversion problem T3 to T4 (not diagnosable with a TSH test). It was recommended I do a series of liver and gallbladder cleanses I will be starting my 7th in a week. I have passed thousands of stones and have so many benefits, I don't want to write them all down. But one thing I started to do after around the 4th cleanse was to SWEAT! This was not due to my body adjusting to working out as I told you earlier I have pushed myself hard and worked out most of my life and wondered why I would not sweat at all. I don't have any idea if this is your problem but if you can relate you can check out the book "The amazing liver & gallbladder flush" by Andreas Moritz. Best wishes and good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat profusely when I workout. Some people do, some people don't...it has no bearing on whether you've had a good workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sweat is not a direct indicator of how hard a workout is. too many outside factors control it. ambient temp, diet, humidity, clothing fabric. you could work out in a unventilated closet and sweat a ton but it doesn't make the actual workout more effective.

concentrate on your workout. not your cals burned or your sweat volume
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sweat is not a direct indicator of how hard a workout is. too many outside factors control it. ambient temp, diet, humidity, clothing fabric. you could work out in a unventilated closet and sweat a ton but it doesn't make the actual workout more effective.

concentrate on your workout. not your cals burned or your sweat volume

Agree, but also in some people it can be a sign of a health problem that can be fixed. Their overall performance and health can be improved. We are all different and as stated in my previous post I have seen so much improvement in my health I would not want to discourage someone from doing their research. It may turn out as you said to be an "outside factor" but my problem was not.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Trade you. I just came back from a run in 20F temps, 11 with wind chill, clothes soaked through and ponytail is dripping down my neck.

Sounds like me, I sweat just thinking about exercising, so I'd trade too!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat all that much, my face will just get obnoxiously red. It's always been that way. *shrug*

I'm the same way.

I never sweat, never have, and I've been working out like crazy for about 3 years. Even when I was younger and in shape, playing sports, I never sweat. I just don't sweat. Not even under my arms. It's so weird. I drink like 10 cups of water a day as well, so trust me, there is stuff to sweat out.

My face gets red, and I look like I've taken a beating... a very dry beating. And that's it!

I also agree with the other poster who mentioned it's easier to get overheated. That happens to me a lot, if I'm doing something physical out in the sun. I have to be careful.