New with a calorie question

Options
CakeFit21
CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
Hi all, just joined yesterday and already have a question. My target calorie intake was calculated at 1200, once I added my exercise for yesterday, (650 calories) and tracked all of the food I had eaten I had like 860 calories left to use. Am I supposed to eat all of those calories??? Please help!
Thanks!

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hello :) You should be eating the minimum (1200) for sure, but as for the extra calories for exercise, you don't have to eat them all if you're not hungry. Just see how you feel and if you think you need a bit more for the day.
  • borncoolest
    Options
    You dont have to eat all of those calories. If you have eaten too few, it will warn you that your body may enter starvation mode when you hit "complete this entry" under the food diary
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I consider my exercise calories my emergency calories. I'll eat them if I'm hungry. I try to just stay around my original goal though. Exercised calories really help when TOM visits.:wink:
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    Thank you so much! :smile:
  • eschreiber
    eschreiber Posts: 4
    Options
    I am in the same boat and I've noticed that those "extra" calories from exercising helps me eat good, balanced meals. I am usually under my calorie count but I've never been quite that far under. Sometimes they also allow me a treat during the day and I don't have to feel bad taking advantage of that, after all, I've earned them! :-)
  • CardioRS
    CardioRS Posts: 88
    Options
    You dont have to eat all of those calories. If you have eaten too few, it will warn you that your body may enter starvation mode when you hit "complete this entry" under the food diary
    Thanks coolest! Totally didn't know that. Does it factor as a percent or do you know? My exercise calories are around 1350 when I run and/or swim so sometimes this seems like a LOT to eat.
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    Yea, it does seem like a lot to eat!

How close do I have to get to my 1200 to keep from going into "starvation" mode? I'm not looking for an absolute, but would you say within 100 calories?

I did the "complete this entry" thing, that is really cool. Very motivating!