What's the best Calories burned and HRM watch/band?

Options
What's the best calories burned and heart rate monitor watch/band? and Where to buy it? I need one asap! I was looking into the Nike Fuel band, but it doesn't have the hrm it only tracks you r calories burned, which can also be good. I don'yt know how to work a heart rate monitor, but i plan to learn. I want to have all of my gear to really get this weight loss going. :-)

Replies

• lmb1221
    lmb1221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the market and trying to figure out which one to buy. Any help is appreciated! :wink:
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the market and trying to figure out which one to buy. Any help is appreciated! :wink:

Same here.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I posted on your status, but for the others, I have a Polar FT7 and it's great. It's on Amazon for like $70.
  • lmb1221
    lmb1221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd really like one with a leather armband. I have this weird thing about a plastic armband on my wrist. I know it might be hard to find, but if you know of any that have a leather strap, let me know!
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I have found a HRM to be one of the very best investments I have made, and I mean investment - it's an invstment into my future health and well-being and without it I coudl only guess, or use MFP calorie calculations which are at best a wee bit out! The HRM also allows me to train in the 'right' zone, instead of always just trying to go quicker or further!

Anyhow, any Polar HRM is dead easy to set up, put on the chest strap, attach the transmitter (clicks in) and press start on the watch - off you go - easy peasy!

I personally have the RS100 but there are lots of peoples on here who would advise other models and it's all about personal choice.

Go for it - it's worth it.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I would suggest any of the Polar models. I have the FT7 which i love, a few friends have the base model FT4 and it's great too (and a bit less $) I say Polar all the way!
  • becca474
    Options
    I second the Polar recommendation. I have the FT4 and really like it. I got it a week ago and have used it for every work out since. It's so comfortable I forget I'm wearing it.
  • gemini568
    gemini568 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I purchased this one from amazon and have been happy with with it.

Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Trainer-Monitor-Silver/dp/B001GWUE02/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i bought a Polar ft4 and love it. it wasn't a ridiculous price and it does all i need it to do. have yet to use it swimming but i hear it's fine for that too :) Love how it tells me how long i've been in the 'zone' for
  • kileyalexis1214
    Options
    I'm considering getting a polar model. Any issues with the chest strap fitting a bigger person? I'm 5'7 and 240.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I have an old school Polar RS100 with HRM. I've had it for probably 8 years...Love it!
  • pichiPurinsesu
    Options
    the strap that comes with the ft4 is very stretchy/big :)
  • michelleavent1979
    Options
    I have the bodybugg.

It's what they had on their arm for the biggest loser. It tells me how many steps I do and how many calories I have burnt. Takes out all the guessing.

The first 6 months/year is free with the purchase, but then you have to pay for using it after, it's cheap but want you to be informed.

I LOVE it!
  • I'm considering getting a polar model. Any issues with the chest strap fitting a bigger person? I'm 5,7" and 240.

I have the FT7 I bought it when I weighed over 220, I am also 5, 7"... it fits just fine, it was snug at first, but not uncomfortable! (Also if you find it too snug polar also sells chest strap extensions)

Also I reccomned the FT7 because it takes your heart rate and calories, you can also choose to display heart rate or calories burned while working out.... I also like it because after my work out I can check if I was burning more fat or increasing my fitness level... you can also save your work outs in that little watch and review them later... I have work outs from 2 months ago still saved in there!

I love my FT7 !
  • violinkeri
    Options
    i want to save this info so i can research the suggestions when im done work!
  • Tmoney19
    Tmoney19 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for all of your recommendations and fast responses! This really helped!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options

about that ! i have mine tightened to the smallest and i feel like it is not tight enough should i worry about that ? does it need to be super tight for it to work properly ? if so what can i do to tighten it ? can i buy smaller ones ?
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do a forum search for HRM. There are TONS of posts with details. Polar FT7 is one of the more popular. If you want Nike+, get the GPS watch, since it can be used in and out-doors. Polar FT40 and 50 are good too. Definitely search the forums.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Polar
  • pichiPurinsesu
    Options

about that ! i have mine tightened to the smallest and i feel like it is not tight enough should i worry about that ? does it need to be super tight for it to work properly ? if so what can i do to tighten it ? can i buy smaller ones ?

it apparently has to be quite tight fitted for swimming. its elastic so goes pretty damn small