Food scale recommendations

Options
I'm not having too much success at losing these last 15 pounds, and I'm pretty sure it is a portion size issue.

I cook almost everything I eat from scratch, so I really need a scale that I can use to weigh the whole meal and then weigh my portion size (to make sure I get 1/6 of a recipe for example). I know I need a scale that I can put my plate on and then zero it out before adding food. Other than that, I don't even know what to look for.

Anybody have a scale they love? Why?

Replies

• Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have one from Costco that I like, it was about $16

Edit: It does grams, ounces, and has a tare function (so you can put your plate on it). I think it holds up to 11 lbs.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Postal scale $5. :wink:

ETA: I like inexpensive. It has grams, oz, a balance to zero function and it holds up to 5 pounds I think.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I got mine digital one from Walmart for $30. Just check out your local Walmart or superstore and browse until you find exactly what your looking for :smile:

Good luck!!
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I have one from Costco that I like, it was about $16

Edit: It does grams, ounces, and has a tare function (so you can put your plate on it). I think it holds up to 11 lbs.

Got the same one this week. It's $14 right now. I love it & it's nice looking :)
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have a taylor food scale that I got at Target for about $25. It has the tare feature, weight up to 11 lbs, and measures in g, ml, lbs/oz, and one other thing that I don't ever use.
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. Love it. Recommend it highly.

It's $25.00 on Amazon and worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361464123&sr=8-1&keywords=EatSmart+Precision+Pro+Digital+Kitchen+Scale
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest loser scale. Got it at bed bath and beyond for I think around $20?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a digital one from Starfrit. It wasn't expensive, and has the options you're looking for.

Whichever brand you choose - having one of these in the kitchen is very helpful!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I love my digital scale because I can weigh foods in oz, grams or kg. You need to get one you can TARE so it doesnt add the weight of the container you're using. I got mine at walmart and it works great. It doesnt have a name on it but it has a see thru glass top.
    I'm glad I have it because I checked on the 1 serving of 1/2 cup oatmeal that is supposed to be 40 grams, I weighed it and it was nearly 70 grams, almost doubling my calories. I weigh nearly everything by grams now, even fruit because the database on here isn't always accurate, and basing the cals on large, med and small can be wayy off.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser 11-lb glass digital scale from Walmart. It was $25. It weighs in ounces and grams, has a tare button to zero scale for containers and hold up to 11lbs although I dont know why I would ever want to weigh 11lbs of food. I love it and it is quite handy to have around the kitchen.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a digital Taylor food scale from target that I use daily along with measuring cups. Portion size is definitely something I need to watch as I am not good at eyeballing food! Good luck to you!
  • csemau
    Options
    there's a inexpensive digital scale on amazon I just ordered for a whopping $7.45.

It took about a 1 1/2 weeks to arrive. If you can wait that long I would go w/that.. and it comes w/batteries. It has the tare feature, weighs in ounces, grams, lbs, kg

it was listed on amazon as:
    NEEWER High Quality Kitchen Good Helper Digital Kitchen Food Diet Postal Scale 5kg White
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale. Love it. Recommend it highly.

It's $25.00 on Amazon and worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361464123&sr=8-1&keywords=EatSmart+Precision+Pro+Digital+Kitchen+Scale

Ditto. Love this thing.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    ... I dont know why I would ever want to weigh 11lbs of food.

Most scales are designed in metric. The common metric limit of 5 kg is called "11 lb" in British Empire units.

You can get scales that have a limit of 3 kg but 5 kg is more common now. The limit needs to cope with the weight of food plus the weight of the container:

Here are some example weights:
    1 kg saucepan
    2 kg blender jug
    3 kg casserole

You can manage with a scale limit of 3 kg but a limit of 5 kg gives you more flexibility when using the tare function.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I got one at walmart for about $25 that does grams, oz, kg, and pounds up to 11 pounds or so. It also has the tare function, which is pretty important imo. It's pretty simple, but does everything I need it to do. It's this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oneida-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/16486675