Rest days necessary? Am I overdoing it?

Options
Hello!

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I'm overdoing it on the exercise front as of late. I've been doing hot yoga for 3 years (up until I started my "big-girl job" 6 months ago I was practicing 6-7x a week, now 4-5x a week). I bought a treadmill and started running gradually starting in late October and am going to run my first 5k in late June. I decided to train as if I'm doing a 10k since I have so much time before then. I also dance for a sports team.

This is the 10k training program I am doing (I am currently on Thursday of week 3):
http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm

Here is what my typical week of activity looks like based on this 10k training and my yoga love and dance.

Monday:
-Hop on-hop off treadmill workout (running @ approx 6.7mph and doing calisthenics such as mountain climbers, squats, crunches etc.) ~ 40 minutes
-Dance practice: 3 hours
*Some Mondays will also do 60 min hot yoga class*

Tuesday:
-Training run (based on schedule linked above)
-Some incline walking and calisthenics
Usually ~45 minutes total (this will increase as the distances get longer)

Wednesday:
-Hop on-hop off treadmill workout or lighter run & calisthenics (~60 minutes)
-60 minute hot yoga class

Thursday:
-Same as Tuesday

Friday:
-Same as Wednesday

Saturday:
-Scheduled run
-Some incline walking and/or calisthenics (usually ~50 minutes total with run)
-75 minute hot yoga class

Sunday:
-Hop on-hop off treadmill workout or lighter run & calisthenics (~60 minutes)
-75 minute hot yoga class

Typing it all out seems like a lot, but with the exception of when I gave blood last week, I am not feeling overwhelmed and really enjoy my schedule. But I'm wondering if I am doing more harm than good by not resting.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Replies

• maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump! Would really love some feedback on this
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Rest days necessary? Am I overdoing it?

yes.

and yes
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's way too much. You're working out roughly 15 hours per week, and that's too much for anyone who isn't a professional athlete. If you're only doing cardio, there's not as much need for recovery, especially since you're only 23 (and on that note, I'd suggest dropping some of the running or yoga and adding in some strength training unless your goal is to lose muscle), but you are putting yourself at risk for injury, whether you realize it or not.

I've been there. There was a time when I had a very similar schedule to yours, only add in about 4 hours per week of heavy weight training on top of all the running and dancing. I felt great for a while, and then I hit a wall. I was constantly injured and beginning to hate everything about working out. But I thought that killing myself in the gym was the answer to fat loss, and I refused to cut down to the paltry 3 hours a week a trainer friend of mine suggested ... until I was on the verge of needing foot surgery. I finally listened to him, and it fixed a lot of physical AND mental problems I had. Your body absolutely does need time to rest and repair. You don't improve while you are working out; you improve while your body is at rest.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    WAY, WAY too much!
    And...yes, rest days are very important.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Especially with all the running your doing, your body needs rest. Your work outs are very similar to each other so your body never gets to rest those muscles. Rest days are important for your body to recover so you can perform better. Take a day off!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your body gets stronger during recovery when it's rebuilding, not while you're working out. Recovery is necessary both physically and mentally.

An analogy would be baking a cake. If you're always mixing the batter (working out), but never actually baking the cake (recovering), then you'll never get to the end result.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask ...
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I take one rest day a week and do not run 2 days in a row. Rest days are important and believe me you enjoy them. Don't risk injury or burnout. Then you'll just have a set back. Example: running everyday and pulled a calf muscle. I couldn't run for several weeks.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your body gets stronger during recovery when it's rebuilding, not while you're working out. Recovery is necessary both physically and mentally.

An analogy would be baking a cake. If you're always mixing the batter (working out), but never actually baking the cake (recovering), then you'll never get to the end result.

thanks.. now i want cake.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i think its great, i do not have a rest day.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Dancing professionally is pretty equivalent to being a professional athlete, looking good and being strong are key components to that...I majored in dance and performed in college, I teach now. I would say that maybe have a few days where you train really hard and take one or two days easy (go for a walk or short run). Make sure you are fueling your body correctly and you should be fine.
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options

thanks.. now i want cake.

Ok, THAT was hilarious! :laugh:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yes. And yes.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options

I've been baking for 4 days now.
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This...
    I personally think it's way too much. You're working out roughly 15 hours per week, and that's too much for anyone who isn't a professional athlete. If you're only doing cardio, there's not as much need for recovery, especially since you're only 23 (and on that note, I'd suggest dropping some of the running or yoga and adding in some strength training unless your goal is to lose muscle), but you are putting yourself at risk for injury, whether you realize it or not.

And this...

100% agree. And definitely make sure you get at least 7-9 hours of good quality sleep.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Awesome.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    Is rest necessary? yes.

Are you overdoing it?
    I am not feeling overwhelmed and really enjoy my schedule.

Then nope, you're fine.

Listen to your body and rest when you feel it's necessary... that's what matters. You can't use other peoples' opinions in this, imo, because everyone is different... and they're going to apply their own bias to you, which never works. They have no clue how you feel or what you're capable of. If you can go 7 days a week like that.. then do it, but rest when your body feels like it needs it.

I lost 65 lbs in 2 months working out 7 days a week, and the entire time I had folks telling me I was overdoing it.. but I was fine.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Wow.. what a cake!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Is rest necessary? yes.

Are you overdoing it?
    I am not feeling overwhelmed and really enjoy my schedule.

Then nope, you're fine.

Listen to your body and rest when you feel it's necessary... that's what matters. You can't use other peoples' opinions in this, imo, because everyone is different... and they're going to apply their own bias to you, which never works. They have no clue how you feel or what you're capable of. If you can go 7 days a week like that.. then do it, but rest when your body feels like it needs it.

I lost 65 lbs in 2 months working out 7 days a week, and the entire time I had folks telling me I was overdoing it.. but I was fine.

Everyone here has a different workout schedule, some workout harder than others, if this is how you feel then stick to it. But given that it's a demanding schedule you should have a rest day so your body can recover. Even if it's one day your body will thank you.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to rest for a day.

Do an experiment: take a day's rest (or two) and see how you feel at your next workout. If you feel much more energized, then the rest was probably beneficial.