Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh...

I missed snack three and am now in starvation mode....god I want to do horrible things when I hear this one..LOL
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    1. Some people think you shouldn't / can't do BOTH hard-core cardio and heavy lifting. Like you have to pick one or the other. Lifting actually improved my marathon race pace and cardio has not stopped my progress with strength training.
    2. Heavy lifting (4-5 reps) makes women bulky. Check out my pic. Total beast, huh? :laugh:
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Top of my list is anyone with even the slightest medical knowledge acting like they are the expert in everything from injuries/unusual pains during workouts to the best way to lose weight for everyone regardless of their medical history or body composition. As an example, I have a neighbor that is an ultra-sound tech and you would think that she went to medical school with the "wisdom" that spews out of her mouth at every opportunity for her to share her "knowledge".
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And not really a myth but definitely a peeve: I'm lifting heavy with these 5 lb dumbbells.

"But it's heavy for me"
    "We don't all have the same goals"
    "Different things work for different people"

A woman fitness model follows a different routine and diet from a body builder or a power lifter.

I trained last year for a figure competition with a lot of girls doing figure model (bikini) and our routines did vary however all had the same basic foundation. And our diets were pretty similar.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not really a myth....but a pet peeve is definitely when those of us who are new to working out or healthy living in general get reprimanded or treated like idiots for *honestly* not being aware that some of these things are myths. (I get the whole, stop posting questions on things that have already been answered - I pretty much NEVER have to post questions because I search and they've already been answered). But I don't get why everyone thinks that all of this is SUCH common knowledge and of course they've known about all of these things since birth.

And I'm really not getting why saying "I want to tone up" is such a big deal? Please explain because I definitely would like to be toned. Call me blonde, ignorant, or just plain dumb....but these things honestly discourage me from asking ANY questions and even being around fit people who clearly know it all.

Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know I am unusual, but I don't like when people:
    1) discount it when others put in small activities. I have a depressive disorder which I struggle with every day. On a really bad day, I sit on the couch all day. So in order to motivate me to move, I log all the activity, like doing dishes and walking the dog. Granted, for many people this is part of daily life. But for some of us it is a struggle to accomplish on a daily basis and we need all the encouragement and motivation we can tap in to. So leave us alone, please. You do not know everyone's story.

2) that you have to have a HRM. I have a heart condition. Often in the dead of night, in my sleep, my heart rate will go up to 200. I do not think that is really either "aerobic activity" since I am sleeping, nor am I "burning calories". So, there are exceptions. For me an HRM would be a complete and total waste of money.

Please don't judge others. We are not all like you!
  • renitawalker9
    Options

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

This is news to me. What is that about?

It is my understanding that in general terms losing requires a calorie deficit, gaining requires a calorie surplus. So...generally speaking you can MAINTAIN muscle mass while losing fat if you are eating at a caloric deficit. It certainly seems like your muscles are getting bigger without all that fat covering it tho doesn't it ? Well it does for me anyways, but I'm always proven wrong by how much better my clothes are fitting or inches/cm lost.

Guess you didn't research in between the calorie surplus and the caloric deficit. Ever heard of body recomposition? Its the one in between deficit and surplus. Its time consuming slow and harder but possible.

actually I have read about it. between deficit and surplus...as in maintenance? Most of the research I've read leans toward calorie deficit especially for someone with a large amount of body fat to lose still.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Anything implying the only way to stay fit is to eat pure raw locally-grown all-organic natural foods planted in fresh virgin dirt and watered with the baptized tears of vegan angels

Hahaha, hilarious. :laugh:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. >_<
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Not a "myth" but a pet peeve is when people log log things like "burned 6 calories walking to mailbox"

And then others comment with "everything adds up, way to go" or "great burn"

Please, just consider that apart of your normal routine. That's not exercise.

Mine too. I had a friend that regularly logged 2 hours of daily tasks as calorie burning exercise and people would say "good job" to it. So you brushed you teeth, no one over age 5 deserves praise for that.
  • Kateee412
    Kateee412 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Amen!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Also, you do not loose weight, you lose it. Loose is the opposite of tight
  • beersrod
    beersrod Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine also. People who have been at it for all of two months, and suddenly think they know it all. Unfortunately I have fallen into that trap myself on occasion, and try to be a little more humble now! :laugh:

I guess it's just like religion - the recent converts are often the loudest and most obnoxious proselytizers!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Not really a myth....but a pet peeve is definitely when those of us who are new to working out or healthy living in general get reprimanded or treated like idiots for *honestly* not being aware that some of these things are myths. (I get the whole, stop posting questions on things that have already been answered - I pretty much NEVER have to post questions because I search and they've already been answered). But I don't get why everyone thinks that all of this is SUCH common knowledge and of course they've known about all of these things since birth.

And I'm really not getting why saying "I want to tone up" is such a big deal? Please explain because I definitely would like to be toned. Call me blonde, ignorant, or just plain dumb....but these things honestly discourage me from asking ANY questions and even being around fit people who clearly know it all.

I think for many people, the peeve is not someone who doesn't know. The peeve is those who ignore reality and facts, and insist on perpetuating myths despite being given the chance to learn. If you read the responses here, there's at least one person insistent on perpetuating myths that even a little research would dispel.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

This is news to me. What is that about?

It is my understanding that in general terms losing requires a calorie deficit, gaining requires a calorie surplus. So...generally speaking you can MAINTAIN muscle mass while losing fat if you are eating at a caloric deficit. It certainly seems like your muscles are getting bigger without all that fat covering it tho doesn't it ? Well it does for me anyways, but I'm always proven wrong by how much better my clothes are fitting or inches/cm lost.

Guess you didn't research in between the calorie surplus and the caloric deficit. Ever heard of body recomposition? Its the one in between deficit and surplus. Its time consuming slow and harder but possible.

actually I have read about it. between deficit and surplus...as in maintenance? Most of the research I've read leans toward calorie deficit especially for someone with a large amount of body fat to lose still.

Bottom line it is possible. In fact I am doing it right now and i have a 12 week log with stats.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

You don't measure unit of weight per unit of volume with weight, just as you don't measure miles per hour in hours .
    Muscle is roughtly 1.06g/ml, fat is roughly 0.9g/ml , so it is a fact that a ml of muscle weighs more than a ml of fat. Therefore, it is correct to say that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    One more:
    CrossFit is too extreme!
  • RageKage22
    Options
    Anything implying the only way to stay fit is to eat pure raw locally-grown all-organic natural foods planted in fresh virgin dirt and watered with the baptized tears of vegan angels

Damn. Somebody find me some vegan angel tears ASAP! :laugh:
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Actually people complaining about this saying is my pet peeve.

The context (that a 180lb person with 10% BF looks better than a 180lb person with 30% BF) makes it pretty clear that everyone is aware that we are talking "for a given equal volume of each". As far as I'm concerned people complaining about this one just want to believe that everyone else is stupid in order to have an excuse to ***** about them.

I tend to agree with this; we all know what is meant when folks say this.

Reminds me of an episode of "Beauty and the Geek" where the "geek" is arguing with the "beauty" that fat is more dense ... but I personally felt the "geek" was being dense when the "beauty's" argument was easily understood, if not accurately spoken. Volume was implied.