Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That makes sense I guess. I've definitely read enough know it all posts that say completely opposite things, so I'm sure there are a slew of myths being preached out there. It's hard to filter through what's accurate and what's not. It just gets frustrating when some of these are questions I honestly have had, like how do I start running? Look, I know how to run...but I have weak knees. I've read "just go for it" "just walk faster" but also have read "dont overdo it", "you need to have proper form", "you need proper shoes so you don't get shin splints and die"...so I decided to "just go for it" and then started having knee pains. But if I ask questions I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to run? And then I've been wanting to try the rowing machine, but read an article the other day about "those amateurs who don't know how to row properly". I guess what I'm just trying to say is hey at least we're trying, right? :blushing:

I have to admit this is one of the least helpful sites I've ever been on (a lot of it because of those pushing the myths and arguing with anyone who might be able to help).
    . If you want help with running, give DailyMile.com a try. That is the most supportive community I've ever been part of, and I'm not even a big runner. I'm on there as jimmie65.

As for rowing, I have no idea where to get help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    wait...did somebody say inject yourself with pregnant lady pee?????

I'm taking this as genuine so I will answer.
    Yes. HCG is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. It is a prescription drug used in fertility treatments but Also has an off label use as a weight loss drug. It has not be approved as a weight loss drug and there are no solid studies to support it.
    Oh and you only eat 500 calories while takin it.
    Unless you get it from a doctor prescription, it is not legal for sale which means all the ones you can buy at Walmart and GNC are not real HCG (if you read the label and search the ingredients you'll see). These are usually pills or drops. Or worse...from the Internet that could be anything.

ETA - the legality of sale is for Canada and US not sure about other countries.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Squats are bad for your knees.
    Older people (i.e, those of us over 40) shouldn't lift heavy.

And not really a myth but definitely a peeve: I'm lifting heavy with these 5 lb dumbbells.
    Good grief. The first two examples are not myths.

Not if performed correctly..... *rolls eyes again*
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    and cleaning for an hour is not working out...its a part of life!

I log cleaning when I do a full clean including dusting, mopping all the floors because it's a 4 - 5 hour job and yes, I break a sweat when I'm doing it.
  • trishmce
    Options
    While I'm getting things off my chest I'm going to add this one about StrongLifts/Starting Strength. It's an excellent program, especially for people that are new to strength training. But it ain't the only program. Far be it for anyone on MFP to come and ask about a different routine (that's not Wendler)

I imagine the progression to it's domination on this site went like this.

Starting Strength is an excellent program for beginning strength training
    Starting Strength is an excellent program for strength training
    Starting Strength is an excellent program.
    Starting Strength is the Program.
    Starting Strength: Do it, or YOU'RE GONNA DIE
    deskflip_zps24f0588f.gif

Oh, and if you're doing direct ab work or curls you're a sucker. Can't forget that.

I just love the Luther clip!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    First bacon is not healthy.

A diet consisting SOLELY of bacon definitely isn't healthy. But I don't think it's unhealthy to eat bacon.
  • Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    Pet peeve, not a myth. I can't stand it when people say they "loose weight" IT'S LOSE
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What drives me nuts are the diet plan claims of 5-10 lbs lost in a week. Sure, easy to lose 5-10 lbs of fluid (which can come rght back). But real FAT loss ... hello, ~3500 kcal/pound, folks. Run a marathon/day and you can REALLY lose 10 lbs fast.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve, not a myth. I can't stand it when people say they "loose weight" IT'S LOSE
    :laugh:
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    wait...did somebody say inject yourself with pregnant lady pee?????

I'm taking this as genuine so I will answer.
    Yes. HCG is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. It is a prescription drug used in fertility treatments but Also has an off label use as a weight loss drug. It has not be approved as a weight loss drug and there are no solid studies to support it.
    Oh and you only eat 500 calories while takin it.
    Unless you get it from a doctor prescription, it is not legal for sale which means all the ones you can buy at Walmart and GNC are not real HCG (if you read the label and search the ingredients you'll see). These are usually pills or drops. Or worse...from the Internet that could be anything.

Ah the HCG thing...never heard it referred to as pregnant lady pee lol...and I gained weight when I was pregnant so this seems a bit counterintuitive. Ah well...the things people will try. I get being desperate to lose weight...but truly the only thing that works FOREVER is working out and eating correctly (clean, enough calories, but not too many, right macros...etc, etc., etc.). Oh that there was some magic...
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Top of my list: "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights or they will get bulky"

^^^ this! :explode:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Actually people complaining about this saying is my pet peeve.

The context (that a 180lb person with 10% BF looks better than a 180lb person with 30% BF) makes it pretty clear that everyone is aware that we are talking "for a given equal volume of each". As far as I'm concerned people complaining about this one just want to believe that everyone else is stupid in order to have an excuse to ***** about them.

LOVE THIS!!!!!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Squats are bad for your knees.
    Older people (i.e, those of us over 40) shouldn't lift heavy.

And not really a myth but definitely a peeve: I'm lifting heavy with these 5 lb dumbbells.
    Good grief. The first two examples are not myths.

Not if performed correctly..... *rolls eyes again*
    Before I learned the proper form for squats, I was always hurting myself. Once I learned the correct form I never had problems ... and I was getting a deeper squat to boot! So, for me, they are myths.
  • ayvaz0524
    Options
    Not really a myth....but a pet peeve is definitely when those of us who are new to working out or healthy living in general get reprimanded or treated like idiots for *honestly* not being aware that some of these things are myths. (I get the whole, stop posting questions on things that have already been answered - I pretty much NEVER have to post questions because I search and they've already been answered). But I don't get why everyone thinks that all of this is SUCH common knowledge and of course they've known about all of these things since birth.

And I'm really not getting why saying "I want to tone up" is such a big deal? Please explain because I definitely would like to be toned. Call me blonde, ignorant, or just plain dumb....but these things honestly discourage me from asking ANY questions and even being around fit people who clearly know it all.

Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

Couldn't have said it better
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Ah, I mean I lift 15 lbs about the same amount a week, and its just toning, as long as your not lifting on top of fat, I think people think that doing crunches and lifiting is going to help you loose weight, cardio has really helped me slim down and now i lift etc.

Oh dear god.

Yeah those were my thoughts exactly.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care about what other people and what they do enough to really care. People are gonna do and think what they want to, and I am not interested in wasting energy trying to correct the misinformation of the world.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Top of my list - that you need a heart rate monitor. And that they are totally accurate for calorie burns.

But the bulky thing is high up there.

I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate because I don't believe anything is but it's a lot more accurate than using the numbers on the machine or a random website. I bought my HRM for Insanity and it made me push myself harder and yes, when I did slack off or I wasn't feeling it the calorie burn was less. *shrugs* it works for me.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options

A diet consisting SOLELY of bacon definitely isn't healthy. But I don't think it's unhealthy to eat bacon.

I don't either. One slice is 35 calories and a couple grams of fat. I'm not eating the whole package, but I am eating bacon, tyvm
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You can spot reduce

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

Women get bulky if they lift heavy

Gaining strength and gaining muscle are the same thing

Actually, you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Scooby has a great description on his site here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

You have to be pretty precise with your eating, but you can do it.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

I don't either. One slice is 35 calories and a couple grams of fat. I'm not eating the whole package, but I am eating bacon, tyvm

This made me want a BLT for lunch. But I think I don't have any bacon right now.