Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Squats are bad for your knees.
    Older people (i.e, those of us over 40) shouldn't lift heavy.

And not really a myth but definitely a peeve: I'm lifting heavy with these 5 lb dumbbells.
    Good grief. The first two examples are not myths.

I was hit by a car while walking, point of impact was my knees, I have AWFUL knees. As someone with HORRENDOUS knees I can tell you, squats are NOT bad for your knees if you have proper form. Learn how to do them correctly, with your weight in your heels and not in your toes, and your knees will be fine.

It is a myth. People just don't spend the time to learn form.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Top of my list - that you need a heart rate monitor. And that they are totally accurate for calorie burns.

But the bulky thing is high up there.

I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate because I don't believe anything is but it's a lot more accurate than using the numbers on the machine or a random website. I bought my HRM for Insanity and it made me push myself harder and yes, when I did slack off or I wasn't feeling it the calorie burn was less. *shrugs* it works for me.
    What is accurate about the HRM is that it will tell you how many beats per minute your heart is making. And with that information you can determine if you are working out hard enough. Over time, you are able to figure out what your HR will be at certain levels of exertion. For me, if a 30 second sprint does not put my HR over 154, I know I could have pushed harder, and will push harder during the next sprint.

As for counting calories, I like it because I know it is probably under-reporting actual calories burned. I'd rather log low than log high.
  • merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The you can't build muscle and burn fat is one in my head doesn't exist - erg, why not/
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hate the women bulking thing A LOT

BUT mostly, and it does relate to that, I hate when people say these myths to people who've been working out longer than them and who have had success....
    Like, okay so you've seen me lose 30 lbs, you constantly say you'd like to have legs like mine, yet you feel the need to justify why my work out is wrong and yours is right? You don't want to do weights because you are going to bulk up... do I look bulky to you!? lol
    Everyone thinks they are the expert when they begin and everyone seems to forget that different things work for different people and that everyone's goals and motivators are different as well.

If my best friend says to me one more time "no i'm not going to do pecs, I don't want to lose my boobs" or "no i am going to do an hour of cardio, not interval training because an hour will get me the results I need" I am probably going to snap lol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Everything that's ever been said on MFP.

And everything that ever WILL be said.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No pain no gain...
    This one is hard for me to explain b/c getting into shape certainly can be uncomfortable (and I'm telling you-trying to sit up right now is difficult cuz my abs huuuurt), but pushing on in spite of significant pain caused me some pretty serious issues with my legs that have taken almost a year to resolve. So it bothers me when I see people tell others to push on even though what they're experiencing significant pain.
    ETA> people should be encouraged to seek PROFESSIONAL medical help for some things, and excerice routines can be modified in the meantime... injury doesnt mean throwing out baby with the bathwater
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Top of my list - that you need a heart rate monitor. And that they are totally accurate for calorie burns.

But the bulky thing is high up there.

I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate because I don't believe anything is but it's a lot more accurate than using the numbers on the machine or a random website. I bought my HRM for Insanity and it made me push myself harder and yes, when I did slack off or I wasn't feeling it the calorie burn was less. *shrugs* it works for me.

The point about pushing yourself I don't disagree with and didn't in my initial post.

Things like walking and running can be fairly accurate. Even some machines are pretty good.
    HRMs are meant for steady state cardio. Intervals will affect accuracy.

Everyone assumes HRMs are more accurate but that isnt always the case. Many assumed because HRMs require more data lime sex and age that they are more accurate. And there are a lot of factors that can affect it

Azdak explains it well in a blog
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Not really a myth....but a pet peeve is definitely when those of us who are new to working out or healthy living in general get reprimanded or treated like idiots for *honestly* not being aware that some of these things are myths. (I get the whole, stop posting questions on things that have already been answered - I pretty much NEVER have to post questions because I search and they've already been answered). But I don't get why everyone thinks that all of this is SUCH common knowledge and of course they've known about all of these things since birth.

And I'm really not getting why saying "I want to tone up" is such a big deal? Please explain because I definitely would like to be toned. Call me blonde, ignorant, or just plain dumb....but these things honestly discourage me from asking ANY questions and even being around fit people who clearly know it all.

Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

I think for many people, the peeve is not someone who doesn't know. The peeve is those who ignore reality and facts, and insist on perpetuating myths despite being given the chance to learn. If you read the responses here, there's at least one person insistent on perpetuating myths that even a little research would dispel.

That makes sense I guess. I've definitely read enough know it all posts that say completely opposite things, so I'm sure there are a slew of myths being preached out there. It's hard to filter through what's accurate and what's not. It just gets frustrating when some of these are questions I honestly have had, like how do I start running? Look, I know how to run...but I have weak knees. I've read "just go for it" "just walk faster" but also have read "dont overdo it", "you need to have proper form", "you need proper shoes so you don't get shin splints and die"...so I decided to "just go for it" and then started having knee pains. But if I ask questions I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to run? And then I've been wanting to try the rowing machine, but read an article the other day about "those amateurs who don't know how to row properly". I guess what I'm just trying to say is hey at least we're trying, right? :blushing:

When you see people in a thread seeming to get torn into over these myths you have to consider that they're almost never newbies who are just asking a question. 9 times out of 10 they're either

a.) new but presenting themselves as an expert who is going to come in and school us all (this doesn't go over well in any forum I've ever been in). The example that comes to mind is the person whose first post is a long list of foods never to eat because the cause immediate fat storage.

or

b.) not new, should know better, but continue to perpetuate incorrect information. Often these members have been involved in debates before and have already been presented with evidence that refutes their claim. Another thing that sometimes happens is that a newbie asks a question and a debate breaks out between a couple of regulars who have already been debating that topic. I've seen those get pretty ugly, but it's not that anyone is being rude to the newbie, they're just having an argument on the newbie's thread.

Your question sounds totally reasonable. If you decide to post about it, I'd just say "I've heard this, but I've also heard this other thing that seems to contradict it." I'll bet you'll get good responses.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/08/04/can-you-lose-fat-and-build-muscle-at-the-same-time/

Possible? Yes. Prudent? Not according to that ^ guy. I'm no expert but there are obviously conflicting theories out there....just like anything else you have to find what works best for you
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Myth: Muscle is more dense than fat.

Truth: One cubic inch of muscle weights more than one cubic inch of fat weighed at the same time, on the same scale at the same point in space, at the same pressure and at the same temperature.

Physics wins again!

Don't make me bring in the concept of entropy!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.

Serious question: Resistance burns more, even during cardio workouts? I thought that was just for weight training. Well damn, I didn't know that! Huh!

It's not so much resistance or speed - it's intensity. The higher the intensity the higher the calorie need.

You can do that by increasing speed, or resistance or both...

I really dont think so. If youre just free wheeling on a machine with no resistance youre not going to burn much more than just going slow. Also, see this article which says that running any faster than 6.0 does not provide much more calorie burn. I was pretty shocked by that one and not sure i totally believe it but there is some science behind it:

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm

No.

The two main components (other than body weight) that determine calorie expenditure during exercise are simply intensity and duration (time)

ETA: I have just read the link and I see the point you are making now.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I know it's not technically fitness, but someone mentioned bacon so it's probably okay to say this...

Not eating the whole damn egg. Yes, I'm sure the egg whites are less calories but there are a lot of vitamins in the yolk and unless you have specific medical dietary restrictions you're not going to increase your cholesterol or have a heart attack... it'll be okay.

And while I'm on the subject of "unless you have a specific medical dietary restriction"... low carb, gluten free, etc., etc., etc. Why don't you just... I don't know... eat like a normal person? Sure, don't eat only carbs and don't overload yourself with gluten rich deliciousness but don't delude yourself or others by pretending that you're "super special" and you have to have a super special diet if you don't...
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    the yolk thing is not really a myth IMO.
    when I am lifting heavy but am also a runner, I have to try to keep my macros in check and the yolk is simply a waste of calories with very little value to me. (L) protein = egg whites.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!

This one pisses me off no end. I am almost to my 1200 limit and it's only after lunch time.
    Gonna have to go out and run laps just so I can eat some supper, lol

LMFAO! That really tickled me.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements will make you bulky. Boyfriend and father told me not to get too big when they saw my protein powder....:-/
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lifting and cardio are two different things.

Lifting is a great cardiovascular exercise!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    when I am lifting heavy but am also a runner, I have to try to keep my macros in check and the yolk is simply a waste of calories with very little value to me. (L) protein = egg whites.

Yeah, i eat one whole egg and add 3 egg whites and scramble them since the protein is in the egg whites and that's generally why i'm eating eggs in the first place haha
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!

I hate this one too. Obviously, anyone who's on this site knows how to eat more than 1000 calories a day, otherwise we wouldn't be here!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    "My nutritionist/personal trainer says I should do this, what do you think I should do?"

Why pay someone if you don't trust their advice? Either do what they say, or save some money and fire their *kitten*.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Egg yolks are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and contain a lot of nutrients that the whites don't have. If you get those elsewhere, then don't bother with the yolk. It's up to you. But there is a lot of good in yolks that gets overlooked and those poor yolks get a bad rap.