Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    the yolk thing is not really a myth IMO.
    when I am lifting heavy but am also a runner, I have to try to keep my macros in check and the yolk is simply a waste of calories with very little value to me. (L) protein = egg whites.

Egg yolks are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and contain a lot of nutrients that the whites don't have. If you get those elsewhere, then don't bother with the yolk. It's up to you. But there is a lot of good in yolks that gets overlooked and those poor yolks get a bad rap.

Why even bother having an egg if you're not going to eat the yolk? And what do you do with the yolk,throw it out???? YIKES!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    when I am lifting heavy but am also a runner, I have to try to keep my macros in check and the yolk is simply a waste of calories with very little value to me. (L) protein = egg whites.

Yeah, i eat one whole egg and add 3 egg whites and scramble them since the protein is in the egg whites and that's generally why i'm eating eggs in the first place haha

I understanding adding extra egg whites for protein but it just bothers me when people make it out that the yolk is some how unhealthy.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!

This one pisses me off no end. I am almost to my 1200 limit and it's only after lunch time.
    Gonna have to go out and run laps just so I can eat some supper, lol

I think I ate 1000 calories for LUNCH!!

(Yea, pizza day)

:grumble:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!

I hate this one too. Obviously, anyone who's on this site knows how to eat more than 1000 calories a day, otherwise we wouldn't be here!

It takes time to learn to eat well and healthy, though.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    First bacon is not healthy.

A diet consisting SOLELY of bacon definitely isn't healthy. But I don't think it's unhealthy to eat bacon.

I don't either. One slice is 35 calories and a couple grams of fat. I'm not eating the whole package, but I am eating bacon, tyvm

This made me want a BLT for lunch. But I think I don't have any bacon right now.

Really cause I made chocolate covered bacon over the weekend and I'm pretty sure I ate most of it and enjoyed every darn bite. And didn't gain even an ounce, FTW I'm sure. Anything in large amounts is bad for you, even milk. And even is it is bad for you who the heck cares, it's bacon and it's yummy :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I hate this one too. Obviously, anyone who's on this site knows how to eat more than 1000 calories a day, otherwise we wouldn't be here!

hell I eat a thousand calories post work out like every day biatches!
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    People ranting and raving about other people like they have a PHD on the subject and they are solving a world crisis.
    Who cares what other people do? If you really think what you "know" they are doing wrong please do it only once and tactfully. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut or unadd them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Egg yolks are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and contain a lot of nutrients that the whites don't have. If you get those elsewhere, then don't bother with the yolk. It's up to you. But there is a lot of good in yolks that gets overlooked and those poor yolks get a bad rap.

"contain a lot o nutrients that the whites dont have..." hmmm this sounds racist to me...why is it always go to be about the whites?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

hell I eat a thousand calories post work out like every day biatches!

Well, duh. That's only a six pack or so.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you have to go heavy
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you have to drink tons of water
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That any pill, powder, shake, or fitness gimmick works. They *ALL* include changing to healthy meals, which in itself will work better.

^this
    I hate how beachbody pushes their suplements and shakeology, pretty much telling us that your workout and diet will never work unless you buy their recovery drink and shakeology.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Squats are bad for your knees.
    Older people (i.e, those of us over 40) shouldn't lift heavy.

And not really a myth but definitely a peeve: I'm lifting heavy with these 5 lb dumbbells.
    Good grief. The first two examples are not myths.

I was hit by a car while walking, point of impact was my knees, I have AWFUL knees. As someone with HORRENDOUS knees I can tell you, squats are NOT bad for your knees if you have proper form. Learn how to do them correctly, with your weight in your heels and not in your toes, and your knees will be fine.

It is a myth. People just don't spend the time to learn form.

I think it has a lot to do with how strong your legs are as well. I have bad knees and when I starte dto work out EVERYTHING would hurt them, as well as other parts of my legs and feet. As I kept at it, stretched, and adjusted my diet, the pain "magically" went away. I still have pain, but not nearly as bad or as often when I work out. Last night I did a Les Mils Combat class and jogged for 3.5 miles, my kness didnt start to hurt until the last mile.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    you have to drink tons of water

Oh, this one. 64 ounces, 100 ounces, half your body weight in ounces... What if I use metric? What if I eat extra salt? What if I eat 2000 calories a day in iceberg lettuce, celery and watermelon?
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options

You have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight...pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

You can't eat cheeseburgers, chocolates, cupcakes........HA!

You can spot reduce....(nope, doing crunches will not make you lose your belly- you need to get rid of that fat by eating right and working hard!)

These
    Plus, you can't be fat and fit.
    I still have a bunch of fat left, but I can lift as much as my guy friends, do some crazy yoga poses and run. I'm training for the Rugged Maniac and people act like I can't do it. I can and will.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread.

My biggest pet peeve is "Calories in = Calories out".

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

This guy is pretty much where I'm at these days regarding calories. It's also been my N=1
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    "My nutritionist/personal trainer says I should do this, what do you think I should do?"

Why pay someone if you don't trust their advice? Either do what they say, or save some money and fire their *kitten*.

^^ This! Because some random stranger on some website is more knowledgeable than your nutritionist or personal trainer. Okay, well, they might be I guess. :tongue: But still!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options

true, which is why I said "little value to ME"
    depends on why you are eating the eggs in the first place and what else you are fitting into your diet.
    its not a myth, its a matter of personal preference.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    glad im not the only one lol great program but its been aroun for decades did similar program in 70s nothing new and definitely not the only answer this post about sl 5x5
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the replies. One common one that I haven't seen is that you cant eat fat, or else you will become fat. Seriously every diet should contain fat.