Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Myth peeve - that there is a 'secret' to weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Building "long lean muscle".

If you're short, you're not going to be able to do this.:laugh:

Reality is that muscle insertion is determined at birth. You CAN'T change it's length. You'll normally hear this statement made by pilates and yoga enthusiasts and also from people who think lifting weight won't achieve this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Reality is that muscle insertion is determined at birth. You CAN'T change it's length. You'll normally hear this statement made by pilates and yoga enthusiasts and also from people who think lifting weight won't achieve this.

IDEA Fitness member
    I read an interview from the guy who "trained" Kate Upton, and he talked about "lengthening muscles". It was at that point that I stopped reading about his "advice" as he had already proven he didn't know what he was talking about.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Carbs make you fat and sugar is the enemy!
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread.

My biggest pet peeve is "Calories in = Calories out".

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

This guy is pretty much where I'm at these days regarding calories. It's also been my N=1
    DISCLAIMER: I did not finish the article.

But, when I noticed that the author switched from measuring in weight (grams) to talking about molecules, I saw a flaw in the thinking. One gram of fat does not have the same number of molecules as 1 gram of Carbohydrates or 1 gram of protein. So, suddenly we are not longer making a valid comparison. If the author had talked about ATP's per gram of each macro, I might have continued reading. But this was not done, making it impossible to know if there is any truth the claims being made.

Now, the other issue I have is that millions of people have used calories in vs. calories out with success. One more reason I'd say the author is splitting hairs.

It's funny though: you are a member of a sight who's whole purpose is to measure calories in vs calories out. :flowerforyou:
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

Oh, that BUGS.

For me, I hate those "You won't lose weight and maintain your weight loss if you don't deal with the underlying issues" comments. There are plenty of messed up thin people. And I hate those "Why work out at the gym when you can hike up a mountain, run in the fresh air, swim in the ocean, etc" Because I hate the excessive heat, the excessive cold, bugs, animal poop on the sidewalk, and rain/snow. Give me a treadmill.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(

Whaaaaaaat?!?!?! Great...just ruined my day...:noway:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.

hahahaha....
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That you cannot bulk up using "just" bodyweight exercises (resistance is resistance)

That bodyweight exercise = high reps, unless you are weak (high load exercises exist for all strength levels)

That squats and deadlifts have a steroid-like effect above and beyond simply working your muscles (while science has found extra growth hormone release, it is pitifully weak and short lived compared to what is needed to actually grow muscles).

That adding protein shakes to your diet will make your muscles bigger (lots of skinny guys lift weights and take protein shakes, and stay skinny; extra calories, not extra protein, is what makes your muscles grow).

That you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time over an extended time period (short lived special cases aside, only one or the other can be done at a time, all the plans to do it simultaneously actually do nothing of the sort, they microcycle bulking and cutting day to day; if you eat at maintenance, random error and timing will cause haphazard microcycling, either way it is not simultaneous though it may appear so, and the rapid shifting makes it a hideously inefficient process; either way, many that try it end up wasting their time with little to no results).

That there is a One True Path™ (tends to happen to people who do particular diets or workout plans)

That the paleo diet will cure every ailment, malady, or disease known to man or that will one day become known to man.

That diet alone can make you healthy.

That chemicals or processing are bad for you. (some may be, but most are benign, and everything above the subatomic level is a chemical).

That aspartame is bad for you (aspartame is hands down the most scientifically evaluated substance (with regards to human health) on the planet, no substance is more proven to be safe than aspartame).
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.
    I've been scratching my head on this one all afternoon. Not only would it be rude to tell them this, it would be wrong.

I'm curious how you know what resistance people are using? I'm also curious how you know how hard their heart is working?

I do intervals on the elliptical. When doing intervals, I reduce the resistance from a normal steady state workout. When I go fast, my HR goes up. When I reduce my speed, my HR goes down some. My HR would not go up if I was not working hard. If I'm working harder, I'm burning more calories.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Oh and pet peeve #2: People who USED to be fat and ignorant and forget where they came from and what it felt like.

My # 1 pet peeve. As a matter of fact, it's on my profile, don't bother friend requesting me if all of a sudden you have unasked for opinions on other people's bodies or say the word "fat" or "obese" with disdain.

Agreed!

It also bothers me when people are hateful toward people for being "too skinny" as well. I've always had trouble with my weight (have been fat since I was a child) but I can imagine that body issues happen at both ends of the spectrum so telling someone to "eat a burger" or something like that is just hateful.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

You've worked out a week and gained muscle, hence your weight gain.

The sedentary setting means you lay in bed all day.

That you need to drink protein shakes.

The endless search for a magic pill or diet that requires no effort from you.

Drinking gallons of water will aid in weight loss.

Wheat/gluten is the devil food and is keeping you fat.

Eating fat makes you fat.

That you carry your weight well and don't look as big as you really are.

That you're just large framed, not fat.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

My # 1 pet peeve. As a matter of fact, it's on my profile, don't bother friend requesting me if all of a sudden you have unasked for opinions on other people's bodies or say the word "fat" or "obese" with disdain.

Agreed!

It also bothers me when people are hateful toward people for being "too skinny" as well. I've always had trouble with my weight (have been fat since I was a child) but I can imagine that body issues happen at both ends of the spectrum so telling someone to "eat a burger" or something like that is just hateful.

Also annoying is the refusal to support people who've successfully maintained their weight, never becoming overweight in the first place. As if that isn't hard.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

But, when I noticed that the author switched from measuring in weight (grams) to talking about molecules, I saw a flaw in the thinking. One gram of fat does not have the same number of molecules as 1 gram of Carbohydrates or 1 gram of protein. So, suddenly we are not longer making a valid comparison. If the author had talked about ATP's per gram of each macro, I might have continued reading. But this was not done, making it impossible to know if there is any truth the claims being made.

Now, the other issue I have is that millions of people have used calories in vs. calories out with success. One more reason I'd say the author is splitting hairs.

It's funny though: you are a member of a sight who's whole purpose is to measure calories in vs calories out. :flowerforyou:
    ATP is not eaten, it is created from glucose(carbohydrates) in your body. Under normal circumstances 1 gram of fat/protein would yield no ATP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

We all know a pound is a pound is a pound.

But you hit the nail on the head, Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so by definition, a cubic foot of muscle weighs more than a cubic foot of fat, just like a cubic foot of dirt weighs more than a cubic foot of feathers.
    If you're going to be all pedantic, stop being half-arsed about it. Muscle doesn't weigh the same as, more than, or less than fat, because there is no unit of comparison. How much muscle? How much fat?

It only makes sense when you have something to compare, which would be volume or weight. Obviously (at least to 99% of us) it doesn't make any sense to say that a pound of anything weighs different than a pound of anything else, so the only remaining comparison is by volume. And that is what everyone clearly means: the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.

Everyone else gets it. What's your excuse?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I read an interview from the guy who "trained" Kate Upton, and he talked about "lengthening muscles". It was at that point that I stopped reading about his "advice" as he had already proven he didn't know what he was talking about.

It's true, if you want to have the long, lithe body of a ballerina, it's best to have been born with the kind of body typical of a professional ballet dancer. But the wrong kind of weight training can make you look stumpier. There are too many smart people whose livelihood comes from making beautiful women look their best who believe this.

Obviously, to look good per current aesthetic standards is not everyone's primary goal. Some people want to be strong above all else, for example.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ummm what's wrong with saying I want to tone up? I've been snapped at for this before and I don't get it. Lowering body fat %= toning up, no? I do lift heavy in order to help achieve this, but know I can't bulk up so I don't say that I want to. So whattheheck am I supposed to say? I also say that because I don't have a particular goal weight in mind.

Anyway, saying that eating at a certain time drives me mad, or that there's only one way to do things. Yes for most people (myself included) it's a good idea to eat breakfast, but if someone really really has a hard time eating in the morning they shouldn't set themselves up for failure by trying to force themselves to. Do what works for you.
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

I need more information on this. Can someone elaborate or link to articles?

Thanks
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That any pill, powder, shake, or fitness gimmick works. They *ALL* include changing to healthy meals, which in itself will work better.

^this
    I hate how beachbody pushes their suplements and shakeology, pretty much telling us that your workout and diet will never work unless you buy their recovery drink and shakeology.
    ..and I hate when you guys put all supplements in one bag...do they all have a magic formula? NO...are they all a waste of money and gimmick?..definitely NOT..so pls do your research first...
    Things that are definitely a gimmick are for example:

-TESTO-boosters...IF your mushroom tip is able to stand and stay like that long enough (by studies I have read last time,average sex is about 10 minutes),then your body is definitely producing enough testosterone and you don't need any supplements to raise the levels..besides the amount of raised levels wouldn't be of any significant margin..and not lastly,these supplements cost arm(both) and leg(both) and they are huge waste of money..
    -Amino Acid supplements: Protein rich food is rich in amino acids..end of story
    -FAT-burning drinks...Are you kidding?? What a bull...end of story
    -Slimming pills..bull..end of story

Now things that you can live without,but they definitely can help

A good value gainer protein shake..the reason why I wrote good value,cos YES you don't need to buy the most expensive one...but imagine someone trying to put on weight and have to eat loads and loads,then a good gainer loaded with protein and complex carbs couple of times a day will greatly help to meet the calories and nutrients requirement...YES Im working person and dont have time cook 5 meals a day.plus these are really low in fat and sugars..
    A good value lean protein shake...if you lift but your aim is definition,rather than volume..a shake with good amount of protein,low in carbs,fat an near zero sugars will definitely help you to reach your goals..
    -Creatine..NO,its not a steroid lol...in fact creatine is naturally produced in your body,but those wanting more strenght will reach for it to improve their workout...and nowdays a 100% unflavoured creatine monohydrate is really cheap...
    Pre-workout supplements...they really do give you the edge..however the effects on each individual can be very different,therefore try it fist and see how it works for you...

So yeah,Im a no expert,but pls don't put every supplement in the position of the overrated,overpriced gimmick..
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    To be fair, i agree COMPLETELY with the creatine and PWO suggestion, BUT, a protein supplement or shake is absolutely unnecessary considering you are eating enough protein in your diet.

The only reason i would supplement protein (or ANYTHING for that matter) is if i was completely unable to get it in my diet naturally.

That any pill, powder, shake, or fitness gimmick works. They *ALL* include changing to healthy meals, which in itself will work better.

^this
    I hate how beachbody pushes their suplements and shakeology, pretty much telling us that your workout and diet will never work unless you buy their recovery drink and shakeology.
    ..and I hate when you guys put all supplements in one bag...do they all have a magic formula? NO...are they all a waste of money and gimmick?..definitely NOT..so pls do your research first...
    Things that are definitely a gimmick are for example:

-TESTO-boosters...IF your mushroom tip is able to stand and stay like that long enough (by studies I have read last time,average sex is about 10 minutes),then your body is definitely producing enough testosterone and you don't need any supplements to raise the levels..besides the amount of raised levels wouldn't be of any significant margin..and not lastly,these supplements cost arm(both) and leg(both) and they are huge waste of money..
    -Amino Acid supplements: Protein rich food is rich in amino acids..end of story
    -FAT-burning drinks...Are you kidding?? What a bull...end of story
    -Slimming pills..bull..end of story

Now things that you can live without,but they definitely can help

A good value gainer protein shake..the reason why I wrote good value,cos YES you don't need to buy the most expensive one...but imagine someone trying to put on weight and have to eat loads and loads,then a good gainer loaded with protein and complex carbs couple of times a day will greatly help to meet the calories and nutrients requirement...YES Im working person and dont have time cook 5 meals a day.plus these are really low in fat and sugars..
    A good value lean protein shake...if you lift but your aim is definition,rather than volume..a shake with good amount of protein,low in carbs,fat an near zero sugars will definitely help you to reach your goals..
    -Creatine..NO,its not a steroid lol...in fact creatine is naturally produced in your body,but those wanting more strenght will reach for it to improve their workout...and nowdays a 100% unflavoured creatine monohydrate is really cheap...
    Pre-workout supplements...they really do give you the edge..however the effects on each individual can be very different,therefore try it fist and see how it works for you...

So yeah,Im a no expert,but pls don't put every supplement in the position of the overrated,overpriced gimmick..