Disgusted with myself....bad bad day!

Options
Been a lot better this week after my all-weekend binge and tonight i have FAILED!! I was left alone in the house this eve and went on a bit of a rampage!!! I have MADE myself log what i have eaten to make me feel DISGUSTED with myself!!! I struggle when i am left alone!

Hopefully it wont dent this weeks good work!!

FAIL!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your binges could be happening because your calories are rather low. With about 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for around 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Also, if you exercise, you can eat more.

More importantly, it's 1 day... just move on.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think logging it all is the best thing you could have done. It really seems to have more of an impact when we have to look at the actual numbers. I struggle with being alone too. I'm not as much of a closet eater as I used to be but it's much more difficult to keep myself in check. Try not to beat yourself up and get discouraged. I think logging it is a good sign that you are on the right track. Just keep moving forward.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I try to personalize the cravings to eat..as a little monster bugging me..I have arguments and lectures for it. But turning it down and making it moan are my happy times..that means I win the argument about eating..
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good for you for logging it. I really think that in the end accountability is the key. That's why it's so easy to gain weight back once you reach your goal- out the window goes the accountability and the bad habits creep back in.

You've got this! You didn't fail, you logged. You've stayed accountable. It'll prevent you from doing this habitually.
  • Darcyclementine
    Darcyclementine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oops :wink:
    Well, tomorrow is another day, you can't change what happened today.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Shake it off; move on. Food and food choices are not moral issues. Resolve to do better and then do it. There are foods I do not keep in my house because I would eat way too much of them. Avoidance is a strategy that works for me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Everyone fails. EVERY ONE! the amazing part of it is, you have the exact same chance to make the choices you want tomorrow.

Fact is, you probably didn't do as much "damage" as you think. Most people see red according to their weight loss caloric goal, and when they have a bad day they are usually not much higher than what their maintenance caloric level is.

Learn and live better. You got this.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Eat more, more often........ you are bingeing cause you are hungry.... You should find a calorie limit that still allows you to lose weight but maybe at a slower pace, fill those calories with dense healthy food that leaves your tummy full and happy....
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Not really a failure...just a side trip on one day, unless you let it continue. Forgive yourself and move along. Good luck!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Monday: 637cal
    Tuesday: 797cal
    Wednesday: 1195cal
    Thursday: inevitable

Don't do that Hon.
    You deserve better.

Eat at a sensible, SENSIBLE caloric deficit...say...oh...your TDEE minus 20%, and exercise. You'll be so much happier and you'll lose weight with much better odds of keeping it off.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Your binges could be happening because your calories are rather low. With about 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for around 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Also, if you exercise, you can eat more.

More importantly, it's 1 day... just move on.

^ I agree with this.

I had huge problems with binging before I got my calories back up to normal levels. Now I eat 1800 calories even while cutting, and make sure to get at least 30% protein—and hardly ever lose control in a binge.

Another great side-effect of eating more..... binges = not so much binges anymore, because they're not that many calories compared to your normal intake. Your metabolism works better because you have a normal intake on regular days, so binges don't = massive weight gain anymore, and you don't have to feel guilty, and they're not a huge dent in your calories. Win-win from ALL perspectives!

Eat more, lift weights, be happy with thine self. :) Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Don't do that Hon.
    You deserve better.

Eat at a sensible, SENSIBLE caloric deficit...say...oh...your TDEE minus 20%, and exercise. You'll be so much happier and you'll lose weight with much better odds of keeping it off.

And you will keep getting the same advice after every binge, until we get tired of your game and go back to our own lives.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    On the few days you've logged, you've barely reached 1,000 calories. I hope those 600 and 700 numbers are just from you not completing your logging those days.

If that's how you've been eating, no wonder you are binging. You are hungry and you need to eat!

Stop. Take a deep breath. Then do a little research on MFP to see how others are losing weight in a healthy manner.

Figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).
    Eat less than your TDEE (to lose weight)
    Eat more than your BMR (to stay healthy)
    Eat a little something every 3-4 hours (to reduce hunger and ultimately reduce binges)

As for being disgusted with yourself, I can totally relate.
    We are out own worst enemy. There is nothing anyone else can say to us that is worse than we say to ourselves.
    But there needs to come a time when we learn to forgive ourselves, let the past be the past, and continue moving forward toward our goal.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Don't do that Hon.
    You deserve better.

Oh man. I wish I would have looked at your food diary before I responded. What ^^^ said. This is a fact.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    so long as the calorie to yummy ratio is good whats the problem? yesterday i hit 3500 calories mmmm dominos pizza and gourmate pizza bread OH YES. not worried :) bet i still lose weight this week too
  • jackdaniels1234123
    Options
    i know i maybe should eat more but i thrive on fast results....i like to see the scales move immediately! it motives me, keeps me happy and *usually* keeps me focused however i find that i am thinking about naughty foods (mainly chocolate spread and flapjack from the bakery) everyday.

My plan is to lose 1/2 a stone then introduce these foods i am craving in small quantities. like go and get a flapjack occasionally but eat half then save other half for another day.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Don't do that Hon.
    You deserve better.

^ what they said. exactly.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh my :( There are so many things in this post that make me sad.

1. Do not log your food to be disgusted with yourself. Log because its helpful to see what you could have done differently. For instance, I used to frequently eat a small dinner and then eat lots of crap after dinner. I always thought I was doing OK because my dinner was portioned out and accounted for. Most all of the time, it would have been better to have two portions of dinner then a bunch of snacks afterwards. Dinner usually offered more in the way of nutrients and protein then said snacks. I also log because it helps me see a bigger picture ... was my sodium over? did I get enough healthy fats, etc. Don't do it just to beat yourself up over it.

2. Eat more! 1200 calories a day is just ridiculous. I know a lot of people will disagree but I truly feel that you are setting yourself up for disaster with that low of an intake.

3. Do you have your macros set to get an adequate amount of protein? Protein has helped me SO much. I aim for 100g a day and I am just amazed at the difference. I have gone from craving sugar so intense that my hands would shake if I didnt eat some type of cake or cookies after dinner to not really caring about sweets at all. I love peanut butter and chocolate now whereas I used to love candy. I was probably addicted to the HFCS.

4. Move on! Tomorrow is a new day! Your calorie goal is set so low that in all honesty, you probably still ate in some amount of a deficit today or at least maintnance mode so you arent going to experience a set back!!!
  • acm2789
    acm2789 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same kind of day, stress eating all day. ;/ I am not logging though, don't feel like getting comments from my trainer when I already know today sucked. It'll just push me to eat better tomorrow. Also, when I feel like crap later it'll remind me to never do it again. Just have to try to stay positive and keep moving forward.
  • b1essed
    Options
    Good for you for logging it. I really think that in the end accountability is the key. That's why it's so easy to gain weight back once you reach your goal- out the window goes the accountability and the bad habits creep back in.

You've got this! You didn't fail, you logged. You've stayed accountable. It'll prevent you from doing this habitually.
    i sooooooo want to reach my goal but sometimes i think i do better because i haven't reached it....it's like once i reach my goal i quit