Motivating My Boyfriend

Options
2»

Replies

• pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When he's truly ready to lose the 20lbs he will ask you not to buy the food anymore. I know its not nice but there isnt much point in trying to get him to do it because he could end up resenting you for it. Best you can do now is set a good example! :)
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ask him what he wants you to do. Does he just want reminders know and then, maybe he does want someone to be on his case about it. Sometimes just saying something like: Are you still hungry when grabbing for a snack in the evening will remind people that they are just eating out of boredom. But again, ask him what *he* wants you to do.
  • NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    Options
    My boyfriend is a bit of the same way, not too bad thought. It's been 5 weeks since I've started my running program and he can see that i'm active and trying to lose weight and it's showing a bit. He's been saying more and more 'I need to lose weight' after seeing my results. On the weekends (when we spend most of our time together), we tend to eat out a lot so I've decided to take a different approach to get him motivated.

Firstly, I go for 3 runs a week with my running group and usually on saturdays I like to go for a walk/run and he likes to sleep over on fridays, so he's somewhat more tempted to go for the walk wtih me. He's now bringing it up...the first day he was a little iffy but now he enjoys spending time with me outdoors, holding my hand and exploring our surroundings. He's really looking forward to summer too. He knows i've committed to my running program and he wants to see my succeed, beside he can't sleep over friday if he ain't walking on saturday lol

Secondly, instead of saying 'I can't eat out all the time, it's not helping my weight loss," I've moved to "I can't afford to eat out so much, so maybe we can make more meals at home together or just go out once a week' He's totally jumped on board, he loves that I like to save money and spend it wisely.

Thirdly, I've planted the seed of summer vacation already. Mexico this year for my mom's birthday. He wants to feel confident this summer, he knows he's got to put in the work.

In the end, he's motivated by me and just supportive towards my goals but i've made an effort to make him be my partner in my weight loss.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm in a verrry similar situation.

Shh, don't tell anyone but my boyfriend is a bad inluence on me and basically a menace to his own health. His favorite foods are carbs, carbs, and carbs. He has definitely gained weight over college but somehow has not seen this as a trend that will continue after college if he doesn't change his habits. He'll eat healthy food if you put it in front of him (he actually likes veggies), but he'd rather eat unhealthy food. He just doesn't think it's possible for healthy food to taste as good as unhealthier foods, and often refers to eating healthily as "sacrificing taste". I have tried so many times to change the way he thinks about this but there is nothing I can do. It's a little maddening at times.

He's actually talked about going on a high protein/low carb diet, but he hasn't really tried to learn anything about how to do it. He's the one asking me about nutrition information most of the time, and has never thought that it could be useful to read up on things for himself.

He went running...once. He looks at exercising as too much work.

I don't think there's much I can do, honestly. While I am glad that he has at least thought about eating healthier, there is nothing I could do to change his attitude of "Healthy = Boring, Unhealthy = Fun".

Like yourself, I make my boyfriend healthy meals on a regular basis, but he still eats junk later...especially late at night!

Currently I am working on getting back into the good habits I had before we started dating. I hope that will help to set an example for him of how to practice a little self control. That's really all I can do, I think.
  • bstevens1047
    Options
    if he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

However, talk him into logging his food for a week. It will be an eye opener for him! Then show him how much he will weigh in a year if he continues to eat that way.

Honestly, he sounds like me when I was in my early 20's. I had never had to watch my intake because I played sports in high school, but once I got to college, I started gaining and eating exactly how you describe. By the time I was 30, I weighed 300 lbs and had no idea how the heck THAT happened! lol!

Ditto. He has to want to do it. If anything, just be there to help him learn how.
  • tadjo
    tadjo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tell him to download the mfp app and just start tracking what he eats. Tell him not to even try to cut down just track. I would bet that after a week or so he will start cutting some things without even realizing it.

Maybe a subscription to men’s health. Or tell him you get mad bothered by abs.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    However, talk him into logging his food for a week. It will be an eye opener for him! Then show him how much he will weigh in a year if he continues to eat that way.

I think this is great advice.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How about this for a "a different approach". He would like to lose about 50lb but won't diet or exercise. Ok! So how about trying to get him into some other sort of physical activity a couple of times per week.He might like a sport (basketball, squash, indoor soccer, etc) or something quite different - like a course of dance lessons for a few weeks.

My experience with dance classes (non-competitive ballroom and Latin) once per week (later, twice per week) - it gets you out of the house and away from that junk 'food'. It gets you moving, improves fitness and provides a social scene you can enjoy together. After a month or so the social scene results in invitations to private and public dance parties, thus adding a night or two each week of activity and more time away from the junk food. This social scene aspect of social dancing is something other sport don't match.

Most likely he won't like this idea, so instead of suggesting it for himself, tell him you would like him to buy YOU a couple of months of dance lessons for your birthday (e.g.) and that he joins you. Once into it (could take a month to lose any inhibitions) there is a very good chance he will enjoy it enough to continue, esp. when he notices his weight has dropped.
    (Of course, I am assuming he has not already done dancing and is over it).
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. I don't force him, ever. And I don't nag him at all. It's just thoughts I've had to myself. I'm going to continue living my healthy lifestyle and if he chooses to follow suit, great. I just don't want him to get out of control with the eating. It's a bit harder to lose when you're 50, opposed to 21. I just have his best interest at heart.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. I don't force him, ever. And I don't nag him at all. It's just thoughts I've had to myself. I'm going to continue living my healthy lifestyle and if he chooses to follow suit, great. I just don't want him to get out of control with the eating. It's a bit harder to lose when you're 50, opposed to 21. I just have his best interest at heart.

You do have his best interests at heart and that is commedable. He is his own person though. You can't motivate him. He has to decide for himself and take action. What you can do is be caring and supportive of the positive choices he makes.