Being asked how much weight you've lost

Options

Replies

• Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    When people ask me I just say I haven't lost much just toned up.
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually respond in sticks of butter.... LOL 4 sticks = a pound. Do the math !

Best idea yet! Love it
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever really asks me, but if they do, I will tell them in kilograms instead of pounds. That way, they have to go do some math if they REALLY want to know, and it will distract them from asking any more questions. I think my having a prickly personality keeps the nosy *****es away for the most part. I know they are dying to ask, but they don't have the stones to actually do it.
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i guess when its a big weight loss people notice and always ask how much, that didn't bother me as much as people saying "wow you lost a ton" that always embarrassed me, but the worst when people start lecturing me about how i just need to learn control and not diet,cause diets never work...well ..if i am the type of person who could eat one potato chip i would neveer have had a weight problem in the first place. my diet is my way of life now, no lectures or trying to get me to eat candy please
  • thechickentrain
    Options
    I nomally get " you've lost weight, ain't ya " I reply with " yes I have, thankyou " Love it.
  • ADixie4You2Know
    ADixie4You2Know Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and my regular customers comment on my weight loss all the time. I don't mind telling them how much weight I have lost but one cutomer comments EVERY time I see him. This gets old. Not only does he ask about my weight loss but will ask me what I weigh and how much more I want to lose. I find this VERY inappropriate. I know he means well but I really wish he would stop!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I used to cringe whenever people asked me, never really wanting to feel good about how much I lost (it's a big number after all,) but then I started enjoying, and looking forward to people asking how much weight I have lost, (it IS a BIG number after all!) Why not take the chance to own how dramatically you have improved yourself. My issue comes after that sometimes "How?" and when I say "calories and walking" quite a few ppl roll their eyes as if I had nothing better to do besides hide my top secret weight loss plan.

They wind up being the funny stories I have to tell later in the day =)

SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTAINS! :laugh:

ETA: My neighbors ask me once a month "How much now??" They are GENUINELY invested in my success, and I love them for it :) Hard to be angry when people are cheering you on :smooched:
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    maybe they might be asking to find incouragement for themselves to start or hang in there
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    This question doesn't bother me at all..... I think they are asking because they are impressed with the difference and are curious about the lbs. lost to make the change
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I work with lots of different people that i see on a regular basis. I get a lot of Nice comments from them about how well i look and how amazing what i have done so far is, how i have inspired them to give it a bash. I am more then happy to give them numbers cause i have worked fricking hard to get here and continue to do so. Seeing that proud parent face from a stranger is heart warming and inspires me to get off my *kitten* and go running in the rain. I do still shudder a little when they give me the "OMG you were that big face" But hey ho, it is what it is.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    It got so bad at the gym I used to go to that every time I walked in the gym I had at least half dozen people asking me......the same people every time. It got to be annoying and I felt like I represented a number not a person. So now I only share that with my MFP friends, my husband and one close friend.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    that is because she is fishing for gossip..she doesn't truly care about you. I hate elevator gossips.. collecting tidbits of info so they can mention it as you walk away from a group. Your instincts are right on. It is your information to share if you wish..and it is rude of someone who is not close to you to ask.

Hate to say it, but this is probably why she asked for a specific number. Her and her friends were gossiping about how much weight you'd lost and one of them plucked up the courage to ask. But only so they could report it to the group and gossip some more.

Most people with good intentions at work will say "you look like you've lost weight" or "you're looking slimmer, you been working out?" which I take as compliments. Unfortunately, it's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy in that once people saw me jogging at work I got asked this question a lot. And that was when I WASN'T losing any weight, so it was annoying to get asked how much weight I'd lost when I knew the answer was 0. I also think most people who ask are thinking about themselves like others have said, they won't to know your secret, or maybe they want to use it as an opening to have a conversation with you about THEIR weight loss.

Honestly my actual weight loss has been so slow and miniscule. If any of my coworkers said anything now I'd probably say "not a lot" or "I'm not sure". I work with a bunch of skinny women who never had weight problems, or guys who might be overweight in old age but not as young men so what's my excuse as a young person. I can tell people notice, but I feel like they often don't say anything because a) they don't want to appear insensitive and b) I think I'm still judged for being overweight, so I almost feel like they are afraid to compliment me since I still "look" fat to them.

Reality TV probably plays a lot into this too, if people think you've lost 80 or 100 lbs they're curious because Biggest Loser has made that kind of massive weight loss a household conversation. Anyways, I think people can have good and bad motives for asking, but sometimes those who are asking for specific numbers may not have the best motive.
  • MedinaR66
    Options
    I'm going to love hearing from people when I start losing.
  • msboopie
    msboopie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it is just asked out of curiosity and don't think it's rude. And I'm proud to tell people how much I have lost. Yes, I was THAT big...but it is what it is and I am working on it.

+1
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    To me, at this point, it all depends on who asks. I will tell those whom I trust. Mostly, when peoplle ask how much I simple answer "oh, lots". If I really don't want to share and they continue to press I usually answer with "oh, it's one of those numbers ladies don't share.. Just like age" and they get the point.
    I understand that some are curious, some really want to say wow and encourage us, and others are just plain old nosey.. I can usually tell the difference, and reply accordingly.
    To be honest though, I think to ask the question out of mere curiosity is just as rude as asking " so, how much money is in your bank account? Or, you have agreat job! What do you get paid? It's personal.. simple as that.
  • dolphinswimmer15
    Options
    I've never really been asked how much. Sometimes I volunteer it. About a week ago, I had a colleague simply state "you look like you've lost weight" to which I replied a simple "thank you". Today I had someone who's also losing weight (posted progress on facebook, for which she is braver than I am), I messaged her to compliment her on her progress. As she is currently my goal weight, I asked her about her height, and her ultimate goal. I told her my starting, current, and goal. Also where I was when I had last seen her last August. This didn't feel awkward as she is on her own journey, even if she isn't on this site.

EDIT: I would add that thank you for all the suggestions if I get asked for a number and don't want to say.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    I am tend to be an open book kind of person, so it wouldn't bother me. I don't care much who gossips about me, if that ends up being the motive. I probably volunteer the amount I've lost before it can be asked, as soon as someone acknowledges that I've lost! :laugh: I've also never really been bothered by men asking me my weight, even though I know it's an unspoken rule not to ask! :wink:
  • montlucia
    Options
    I think most people are well-meaning but tactless or not familiar with particular boundaries. Some people like to point score, which is lame. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that someone is being offensive because some people aren't great at phrasing things.

If I knew someone who'd lost weight, I would only ask them about it directly if they were a close friend. For acquaintances, I'd just say something like "you look really well today" and not refer specifically to the weight. I wouldn't ask them how much either. I think it sounds a lot more sincere to make a general comment. It can sound like you're trying to get gossip about them/snooping if you start asking very detailed questions. And it may be awkward for any person to comment on how much better you look. haha although if it was me, I'd laugh it off.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Why is that rude? What do you have to be ashamed of? She is interested in your success. Don't be so sensitive :) It's a great time!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    just tell them you gained weight. That'll stop the questioning. Honestly, I don't think people mean any harm by asking.